“A VERY SPECIAL PLACE”

Clarence Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I booked 2 standard double rooms 1 week before I was planning on arriving, the booking was handled in a professional manner and with ease and with a personal touch from the lady at the end of the phone.
Check in was equally pleasant and friendly. I was surprised and delighted when I saw what the hotel called a "standard double". The room was almost a junior suit that you would have to pay larger amounts for in a main stream 4-5 star and as the hotel is a regency period building far more beautiful.
The restaurant, bar and lounge has been very recently re-furbished and very well done. Modern but still in keeping with the regency smart feel of the building. The menu was excellent and all my family had no problems with staying in to dine. This was a very good decision as the food was out of this world and the service was that of a top end hotel.
The wine list complemented the menu and all made for a great evening.
All the staff made my family and myself so welcome. I will be returning soon

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 September 2008

the breakfast was the best thing about this hotel.they called it a 4 star accomodation,i've stayed in better 2 stars abroad.i asked for a first floor room as my husband and i have trouble climbing stairs.we were given a third floor room and there were no working lifts.the bed was comfy though but the room was very drabbly decorated and the on-suite left alot to be desired.i thought it was very overpriced(by about £20)

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2008

Clean room. Nice comfortable bed. Clean bathroom. Plenty hot water. Very good breakfast. Nice staff. I was there for one night B&B and this hotel was clean and comfortable. Its not a five star state of the art hotel but it does not pretend to be. As a good B&B hotel it hits the mark. Austin

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank NumberWanPyoorNed
Reviewed 6 January 2008

i loved the hotel, ive been here about 5times now and i have to say i cant fault it. The rooms are absolutley brilliiant, its well presented. The staff are kind and helpfull. I will be coming back

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2008

I stayed for one night as my company were having a Christmas party at the race course. The room was clean and very comfortable. I had checked their website which showed some of the rooms and rang to request one of those featured. The location was good @10 min walk to the race course, which was a good thing as my boyfriend forgot to book a taxi back and 5 mins into the town. Breakfast was excellent and much needed after a heavy night!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2007

Wish I had read your advice before I went! The room was nice - Walls Room, but above kitchen'dining area so terrible smell of cooking! New bathroom, very clean, but no hot water or heating. We were told breakfast was until 9:30 but when we got there at 9:15 we were informed that it finished at 9:00 and a vitriolic lady of presumably Spanish decent told us that we were liars and would not serve us. As intelligent people with experience of P.R. we asked to see the manager but there was not one there! So we stayed put and they reluctantly served or rather banged down tea, cold toast and 2 yougurts saying the chef had gone home - we could see him trough the door. We ate our repast to the sounds of abuse from the kitchen and a lot of door banging! By the way I speak Spanish and my partner is Polish so we understood a lot of what they said, unbeknown to them. We left thanking them politely eventually found the manageress who half -heartedly apologised, but was more interested in asking who had told us the time of breakfast. By the way no sign in room or reception of breakfast times - they greeted us in bold print in our room when we returned by the afternoon. My partner suffered a recent stroke, we only wanted a short break in what was supposedly a 4* hotel. Please take our advice don't go there, no manners, no organisation, frankly no idea!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wildwalker
Sly101, Owner at Clarence Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2008

This person spoke to the owner, but while I was sympathetic I was very confident that they had been told breakfast finished at 09.00 but had over slept. Under these circumstances we did what we could for them. The chef is female not male as they suggest and the Spanish lady is the most friendly person you will ever meet!

Reviewed 13 September 2007

Looks lovely from outside, and the guest book shows some really nice reviews as well as really bad ones, so maybe there are nice rooms!
After I had paid on-line I received an e-mail to inform me that the rooms I had booked were 'semi' en-suite. When I asked what this meant I was told there was a shower in the room but the toilet was in the corridor!
The room was awful, cold and very shabby.

• Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank Claire166

Most of our rooms are fully en suite but we have 2 small singles that have shower and basin in the room but share a toilet across the corridoor. We sell these at a very low rate and always contact the booker when we get an internet booking to check they understand what they have booked. We did this in this case and the client still wanted to go ahead. They could have upgraded to fully en suite but did not want to as the cost was higher.