“Like staying in the home of a good friend.”

Clarence Court Hotel
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Hawarden, United Kingdom
“Like staying in the home of a good friend.”
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Very hospitable welcome, smiles all round. Room very comfortable, if small, with very clean and newly appointed en suite. The Jules resto is amazing value for money with succulent meals. The variety of cuisine on the menu is wide and varied, whilst being inexpensive for the size of the meals. Good house wines too. Breakfast was served very promptly despite a full house--big portions too!
Hotel is situated on a quiet and picturesque Georgian Square5/10 mins walk from town centre.
Parking is fine for small cars!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank andymac56
clarence99, Owner at Clarence Court Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Thank you very much for your review, I am really glad you enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your kind comments to all of the team. Regards Chris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
london
Reviewed 22 February 2011

My husband travelled down to the hotel from London, we arrived half an hour earlyto check in. The reception was 'odd' to say the least, a little room with a desk. The very quiet receptionist said the room would be ready in 45 minute. We had a coffee in the lounge, served by the same girl, who appeared to be running up and down the stairs. Our room was on the top floor, there is no lift so it was bit of a climb. But on every floor were piles of dirty linen which i found a bit odd. Our room was clean, with newish loo and basin but the shower screen was a lot to be desired.. My daughter arrived late afternoon and her room was on the ground floor,but again it still wasnt ready!! We wished we had the room on the ground floor but the next morning my daughter told us how noisy it was as it was right by the front door and over looking the car park. Parts of our room were nice but the curtains were not on the rail properly, so were difficult to pull.The breakfast were average for a full english. but my scrambled egg was watery and nearly white!!. All in all we all agreed as we had a good deal on the hotel we were satisfied but we would not have been happy if we had paid the full price.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
clarence99, Owner at Clarence Court Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2011
Thanks very much for your review. This Sunday morning we had been full the Saturday night and Sunday was also very busy due to half term. Many rooms had checked out late and so my housekeeping staff could not get in the rooms to clean them for arrivals such as you. They should have tidied as they went along but they admit they were rushing to catch up and so the landings were messy.

The receptionist did your coffee for you as the bar was not officially open and so staff had not come on duty, she did not tell you this as she is trained to meet every request even ‘out of hours’ with a smile and a ‘yes of course’ We recently took out the high Reception desk and put in a normal desk as we feel that this is more personal than a member of staff behind a barrier!

I apologise for the shower screen, we live in a very hard water area and this was a result of this, I personally tried to completely remove the calcium marks but had to accept my housekeepers view that they had got it as clear as possible and have replaced it with a new one. The previous occupant had also pulled the curtains off quite a lot of its rings; housekeeping should have remedied this even if this meant keeping you waiting longer for the room for which I again apologise.

As to the breakfast we do make our scrambled egg with milk but I am aware there are different opinions as to the quantity that should be used and some people even expect it with no milk (an omelette!)

Over all I am glad you felt you had good value for money. Regards Chris, Owner
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2011

Stayed in the Wellesley Room and enjoyed every minute of my stay. The staff were extremely friendly and attentive, making me feel welcome the moment I arrived. It was raining outside so I was delighted that the restaurant and bar were open late into the evening. The room itself was huge and very clean and tidy, with an enormous tv/dvd player and tastefully decorated en-suite bathroom.
I recommend this hotel to pretty much anyone thinking of staying in Cheltenham. I have stayed in similarly-priced properties within the immediate area and the Clarence Court Hotel easily represents the best value for money. I was aware that this place had a good reputation, and it did not disapoint one bit. I'll be back!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
greater manchester
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Bedding smelt stale.
Power kept going off - difficult when trying to put in contact lenses!
No easy way of closing the blinds.
Cheap squeeky beds.
This place made me feel itchy !
Good Breakfast but I wont be back.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank DaveTW029
clarence99, Owner at Clarence Court Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2011
I am afraid I don’t know who you are or when or if you stayed! I have searched all my bookings and registration forms for someone called Dave who is from Manchester but there isn’t one! I have asked every member of staff if anyone received any comments like this and they all said that they didn’t. Maybe you are a local competitor trying to gain advantage (happens all the time!) or someone I dismissed recently or someone else with a grudge but if you are genuine please get in touch. I suggest the reader look on other sites for a more balanced view from guests who have been verified as having stayed with us. (Ring me direct though for a better price than any on line agent) Regards Chris, Owner
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I’ve recently stayed at Clarence Court on a business trip, the hotel itself is in a nice location, great setting and easily accessible to the main town, this is where the upside ends. I was so looking forward to my with “comfortable bed, soft duvets and goose feather pillows all covered with luxurious Egyptian cotton linen”; imagine my disappointment when I actually found a desperately uncomfortable bed (springy, squeaky and far too thin), stained duvet directly on top with no middle sheet (so sweaty and rather smelly), I’ll concede the pillow was comfortable and I believe had a goose like property . The room itself was in desperate need of refurbishment, there was a tear in the wallpaper, marks across the wall and just an overall sense of neglect. The staff when found (reception was never covered) were perfectly friendly and helpful. Overall I would say it was an uncomfortable experience, which left me bereft of sleep and a (albeit psychological) need to have a good scratch.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank VBR_1
clarence99, Owner at Clarence Court Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2011
We are off course very sorry we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I have personally tried this bed this morning and I could not understand what you are referring to. It is certainly not squeaky and I could not understand the comment about springy and thin, it is a top of the range divan bed and like all our beds generally described as the ‘most comfortable bed people have slept in’ We do not put a top sheet under the duvet cover, the covers are freshly laundered Egyptian cotton and I personally would not want a top sheet. If it was stained, I again apologise but why did you not make us aware of it, my housekeeper checks every room daily and I am surprised she missed this but if she did we could have easily corrected it if we had known. As stated in the room information Reception is manned from 08.00 and if you need to check out earlier we request you settle the account the night prior to arrival. I am aware you went earlier than this and I am sorry if you were delayed while waiting for a member of staff to attend to you in reception. As to the room this is a standard single and the décor easily fits into our 4 star grading and the large bathroom has just been refurbished. Can I respectfully suggest that as you found the staff helpful and friendly that perhaps if you had made them aware of your dissatisfaction they might have been able to do something about it rather than giving us no opportunity to resolve the situation and send you away as we would like all our guests to be, a happy customer who recommends us to others! Regards Chris - Owner
Southport
Reviewed 31 December 2010

The owners appear to be steadily refurbishing the hotel and it's looking very good; in the meantime you always get a particularly friendly welcome, excellent value and very nice food. The atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable, there is off-street car parking and good (free) Wi-fi. The location is quiet yet handy for the Montpellier district and main shopping area too.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
West Sussex
Reviewed 29 December 2010

The staff were very helpful but the room itself was extremely shabby and did not live up to our expectations. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, both linen and towels could do with replacing. The food was good and nice and hot. As we only stayed one night we did not bother to mention about the bed. Nice location and good for parking

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple