“get conversations in writing”

and 1 more site!
Central Hotel Cheltenham
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

On arrival we were told that we could only have one key instead of two as they were having an extra key cut.we told them we only needed one anyway so
When left we gave the one key in to the office.A month later our credit card was
charged with £25 for failing to give back the second key
Despite telling the girl in the office that we only had one key.
It took our credit card company to finally get our money despite several promises from central hotels that it was their error.so if you do stay with them watch your credit card bill for any discrepencies

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank pat d

Reviewed 22 July 2013

This place was booked and money taken directly on booking. On arrival found the staff to have no interest, using computer while talking with no eye contact. Room not clean, too warm and when asked about air condition told to "open a window". Street sounds unreal. Beside busy pub with very loud music and an equally loud and busy take away opens until 6am, a disgrace. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOVEL. THIS IS NOT A HOTEL.

Room Tip: Not a Hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank psvi
Reviewed 22 July 2013

If you're arranging a drunken pub crawl around the centre of Cheltenham, this hotel could be just what you're looking for. It's a very convenient location in the heart of the town and the room rates are attractive. If however you plan to occupy your room in anything other than a state of drunken oblivion, you're going to be much happier paying the same rates for a comfortable chain hotel on the outskirts of town and using public transport and taxis.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We had originally booked an apartment on Gloucester Road. However, when ringing up at 5pm to find out where our log in code was (it was supposed to have been sent to us in a text message by 2pm) we were told that we had been 'upgraded' to the hotel, which was in a different location - not walking distance.

Complaining about this, they then tried to tell me that they had double booked. When emailing to make a formal complaint afterwards, they attempted to tell me it was a maintenance issue with the room in question. Think they are making this up as they go along.

We were preparing for a wedding the following day, so this was not ideal. We had chosen the apartment because of its proximity to the train station and the ease of access to the main road out of Cheltenham. Also for the free parking on the side of the road.

Instead, we had to drive into the centre of Cheltenham, we were told there was no additional parking at the hotel (enough space for about 8 cars - all taken) and we had to pay for parking three streets away. We had to find it ourselves, as they couldn't be bothered to direct us to parking at 11pm on a Friday night in the middle of Cheltenham.

When we got to our room, which was an ensuite room to fit three people (a double bed and a sofa bed) at 11pm, there was no bedding at all on the sofa bed. We asked for some while we parked, and when we returned, it had just been dumped on the sofa.

I asked to receive a refund, and they simply shrugged. Because we stayed in it, apparently that means we are not entitled to a refund, regardless of service. I was told that they had called to say that the room was not available the day before check in and had left a voicemail. They simply hadn't. They could have followed this up with an email. They didn't.

They even had the audacity to offer me a "5% discount should you choose to book with us again direct through us". I paid £60 - 5% of £60 is £3. What a deal!

Never. Never, never never book here. They do not care about you.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JHarris1989
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Booked this hotel for our wedding anniversary. No conformation email but instead an email trying to cream more money out of us incase we would like to take advantage of a late check out.
We got into the room after travelling a fair distance and decided to have a quick nap. I was lying in bed to be greeted by a student letting himself in though our LOCKED door. Straight on the phone to the reception and they came round to see what happened. From the off the chap was intent on putting the blame straight on me saying i hadn't locked it properly. I actually run my own locksmith business so im not a moron, it was locked and it failed, simple as that. They said they could move us to another location but it was 10mins out of the town and we were going out in 45mins for a meal. What would they offer as an alternative?....nothing. I asked are you not bothered about your customers and negative reviews to which he replied "Do whatever you like"

For the sake of not giving us a refund or discount I will now make it a priority to put as many people off this hotel as I possibly can.

They Completely ruined our anniversary and they don't deserve to have a business if they run it like that. Listen to the negative reviews and book elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Issics1
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My boyfriend booked this and we started at the hotel the lobby was unwelcoming dingy and smelled of damp we were given our key by some unhelpful female who was not in the slightest interested in her job. Went to our room up a very narrow rickety staircase. The room was shabby musty and dirty only 1 hand towel for 2 of us and the double bed was 2 single beds pushed together!!! I was not happy I went back to reception where we were offered an UPGRADE!!! (lol) we accepted and went to some apartments on Gloucester Road. Very nice or so I thought!!! We got in the apartment which were nice but again shabby and well used but bearable. We went for our meal which we had to get a taxi as we were now a distance from where we originally booked (not town center located as stated) came back went to bed got up around 4am to have a drink of water from the kitchen to my dsigust there were cockroaches on the work surface and i mean big cockroaches i screamed my partner came running in we collected our stuff and left...... have i contacted the hotel NO whats the point not interested when we checked in and reading the reviews will not be interested now my advice is stay away from these charlatans and hovels!!!!!

Room Tip: book somewhere else!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank maria s
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I booked a room for one night for my girlfriend and I. I was told it £90 up front for a room and were given a self serviced apartment at Trinity Lane. I asked to see pictures of the place, it looked fine on the website which we know now is clearly misleading. When we got there it was in a dodgy area, terrible surroundings, dirty,smelt of bleech, booze and cigarettes. Seemed as if a stag party had just left the place.

We had paid upfront but simply wanted our money back and would find alternate accommodation and we were blankly refused this as part of there T&Cs. There company customer service also is terrible. All staff were rude, aggressive and very unfriendly.

WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT USE THIS COMPANY!!

Room Tip: What ever you do dont use this company!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple