“Friendly reception staff, but utterly woeful 'hotel',”

and 1 more site!
Central Hotel Cheltenham
Ranked #22 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Croydon, England, United Kingdom
“Friendly reception staff, but utterly woeful 'hotel',”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The welcome from the reception staff was warm and freindly, and that was where the experience nose-dived.

The room was 'tired', to say the least, the bed was too low and very lumpy & uncomfortable. The bathroom was awful, the sink had no plug, the towels were tiny.

For the price we paid I would have expected considerably more (not 5*, but a much more comfortable room). The street is very noisy with drunken fools walking past shouting and swearing through the night. The windows are single glazed so you get to enjoy every nuance...

We will never stay here again and will be sure to avoid any other venues in this chain in the future, even if I was on a stag night, I would avoid it like the plague.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tim S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I saw that there were 2 listings on the hotel webstie I was using: Central Hotel and Central Apartments. I had no interest in taking my family to detached apartments so I booked through the Central Hotel. We arrived at 10pm and were given directions to an apartment anyways. With the late time and a child not feeling well we had no choice but to go.
We were misdirected to an apartment that had people watching TV inside. We were redirected to a BASEMENT apartment that was SO DARK we had to feel our way down the steps. The neighborhood was scary and in the middle of a bar zone so there were drunkards and yelling people all night long. We barricaded the doors with chairs because there was no way to lock the doors from the inside. They locked automatically but in that neighborhood especially I'd prefer a latch or knob or something on the inside to prove to myself it's indeed LOCKED. There was a door leading to the outside from the room with a twin bed in it for my son as well that I also had to barricade. My husband and I split up and I stayed in the front room because we did not feel safe leaving our children unattended sleeping.
I must say that the apartment itself was decently decorated and renovated. If you are a pack of students that don't care if there are strippers walking around and drunkards and just need a place to lay your head this place might do the trick. If you are a couple or family steer clear.
IN THE MORNING I LOOKED AT MY HUSBAND AND SAID - WE ARE ALIVE! HIGH FIVE!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Cheltenham hotels

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

On arrival we were told that we could only have one key instead of two as they were having an extra key cut.we told them we only needed one anyway so
When left we gave the one key in to the office.A month later our credit card was
charged with £25 for failing to give back the second key
Despite telling the girl in the office that we only had one key.
It took our credit card company to finally get our money despite several promises from central hotels that it was their error.so if you do stay with them watch your credit card bill for any discrepencies

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank pat d
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This place was booked and money taken directly on booking. On arrival found the staff to have no interest, using computer while talking with no eye contact. Room not clean, too warm and when asked about air condition told to "open a window". Street sounds unreal. Beside busy pub with very loud music and an equally loud and busy take away opens until 6am, a disgrace. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOVEL. THIS IS NOT A HOTEL.

Room Tip: Not a Hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank psvi
Saltash, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

If you're arranging a drunken pub crawl around the centre of Cheltenham, this hotel could be just what you're looking for. It's a very convenient location in the heart of the town and the room rates are attractive. If however you plan to occupy your room in anything other than a state of drunken oblivion, you're going to be much happier paying the same rates for a comfortable chain hotel on the outskirts of town and using public transport and taxis.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We had originally booked an apartment on Gloucester Road. However, when ringing up at 5pm to find out where our log in code was (it was supposed to have been sent to us in a text message by 2pm) we were told that we had been 'upgraded' to the hotel, which was in a different location - not walking distance.

Complaining about this, they then tried to tell me that they had double booked. When emailing to make a formal complaint afterwards, they attempted to tell me it was a maintenance issue with the room in question. Think they are making this up as they go along.

We were preparing for a wedding the following day, so this was not ideal. We had chosen the apartment because of its proximity to the train station and the ease of access to the main road out of Cheltenham. Also for the free parking on the side of the road.

Instead, we had to drive into the centre of Cheltenham, we were told there was no additional parking at the hotel (enough space for about 8 cars - all taken) and we had to pay for parking three streets away. We had to find it ourselves, as they couldn't be bothered to direct us to parking at 11pm on a Friday night in the middle of Cheltenham.

When we got to our room, which was an ensuite room to fit three people (a double bed and a sofa bed) at 11pm, there was no bedding at all on the sofa bed. We asked for some while we parked, and when we returned, it had just been dumped on the sofa.

I asked to receive a refund, and they simply shrugged. Because we stayed in it, apparently that means we are not entitled to a refund, regardless of service. I was told that they had called to say that the room was not available the day before check in and had left a voicemail. They simply hadn't. They could have followed this up with an email. They didn't.

They even had the audacity to offer me a "5% discount should you choose to book with us again direct through us". I paid £60 - 5% of £60 is £3. What a deal!

Never. Never, never never book here. They do not care about you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JHarris1989
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Booked this hotel for our wedding anniversary. No conformation email but instead an email trying to cream more money out of us incase we would like to take advantage of a late check out.
We got into the room after travelling a fair distance and decided to have a quick nap. I was lying in bed to be greeted by a student letting himself in though our LOCKED door. Straight on the phone to the reception and they came round to see what happened. From the off the chap was intent on putting the blame straight on me saying i hadn't locked it properly. I actually run my own locksmith business so im not a moron, it was locked and it failed, simple as that. They said they could move us to another location but it was 10mins out of the town and we were going out in 45mins for a meal. What would they offer as an alternative?....nothing. I asked are you not bothered about your customers and negative reviews to which he replied "Do whatever you like"

For the sake of not giving us a refund or discount I will now make it a priority to put as many people off this hotel as I possibly can.

They Completely ruined our anniversary and they don't deserve to have a business if they run it like that. Listen to the negative reviews and book elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013