Central Hotel Cheltenham
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
No 38 The Park(Cheltenham)
The George Hotel(Cheltenham)
No 131(Cheltenham)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsfull size fridgewashing machinetea and coffee facilitiesbudget hotelshort stayracecourse
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 August 2013

If you are considering staying here DONT DO IT.
I stayed at 2 Gloucester Place.
From start to finish, this was the most appalling place I have ever stayed. I arrived, after a 7 hour drive to the location in email, to find no one/no sign/no sign of people. I phoned number to be told I should have received an email telling me I had to go to 'Central Hotel' in Cheltenham (10 minute drive from where I was) to collect keys - I did not get any such email. I was also told at that point on the phone that there was an issue with my booking which they would sort out with me when I got to the hotel.
When I arrived at hotel, I was greeted by a very unprofessional woman, chewing gum with her mouth open constantly, taking phone calls from several men, one including her boyfriend, the other her boss (as she told me).
The issue with my booking was the original place I was meant to stay, which is where I turned up first had been flooded by the previous visitor, so was unusable. That meant they were putting me somewhere else, another room. I was given a key, and a postcode, and off I went.
On arrival, the outside looked 'OK' despite the road looking a bit rough. Parking was non existent, but managed to put car on kerb/empty disused land opposite.
Initial impressions were poor, dim hallway/stairs, stale smoke smells and flies all over. However initially the room looked ok. Basic (which I expected as this was a budget room) but OK.
I went to my evening event, and returned at one AM.
To discover none of the lights in the hallways/stairs (I was 2 flights up) worked. The lights in the shared bathroom also didn't work.
The bed was broken, so I put mattress on floor. The mattress was the thinnest I have ever seen and every spring was broken so stuck into me every single which way I tried to lay. I had to turn the fridge off because it sounded like it was going to explode.
The room was very hot but unable to open the window as it had been painted shut. I ended up sitting on the stairs, outside the room, in the dark, in the middle of the night, taking some medication for Asthma as was too hot and struggling to breathe. There I saw the mouse.
By 0430 AM I was so tired, stressed, uncomfortable, scared that I rang round every hotel in Cheltenham trying to find somewhere else to stay. To no avail for that night. So I stayed awake all night. When the morning light arrived, it showed how disgusting the shower/bathroom was. Unclean with fag ends littered around the shower on the floor. You could draw lines through the dirt in shower tray.
On walking back up the stairs after using the bathroom, in the kitchenette between my room and the other room was a gentleman urinating in the kitchen sink.
I packed my stuff and left ASAP.
I found friends staying in another hotel, and managed to book in there.
On complaining to staff at Central Hotels, when I went to take the keys back and asking for a refund especially as I was not going to be staying the next 3 nights as paid for I was met with rudeness and belligerence. They did not believe I saw a mouse, because I did not have a photo of it! I was also told 'it is a budget room'. I have stayed in many budget places, none like this. I was given a card with an email to complain to, although told it was only end up in his (the rude man's) inbox and he would forward on to person concerned.
IF YOUR CONSIDERING STAYING HERE DONT DO IT.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel is good value for money and rooms are nice however when leaving in the morning found reception staff rude partially the lady with curly brown curly hair. Looked us up and down no thanks or anything. Could be spot on if it wasn't for the morning staff!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Ljb200789
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed here in August this year a gift to my mother for her birthday, a few days away on a shopping trip! It turned out to be the trip from hell!!! Right from the beginning the staff were rude and not helpful passing over one key which is for the front door, back door and your room!!! unsafe was what I felt with no lock on the inside of the door any other person from another room could have wandered in! The duvet was not fit for the skip, the dishes were dirty, the kettle cannot be filled without the use of a cup. I would not leave a dog in this hovel! If you want a sleepless night until about 4am then this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Don't go here!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The welcome from the reception staff was warm and freindly, and that was where the experience nose-dived.

The room was 'tired', to say the least, the bed was too low and very lumpy & uncomfortable. The bathroom was awful, the sink had no plug, the towels were tiny.

For the price we paid I would have expected considerably more (not 5*, but a much more comfortable room). The street is very noisy with drunken fools walking past shouting and swearing through the night. The windows are single glazed so you get to enjoy every nuance...

We will never stay here again and will be sure to avoid any other venues in this chain in the future, even if I was on a stag night, I would avoid it like the plague.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tim S
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I saw that there were 2 listings on the hotel webstie I was using: Central Hotel and Central Apartments. I had no interest in taking my family to detached apartments so I booked through the Central Hotel. We arrived at 10pm and were given directions to an apartment anyways. With the late time and a child not feeling well we had no choice but to go.
We were misdirected to an apartment that had people watching TV inside. We were redirected to a BASEMENT apartment that was SO DARK we had to feel our way down the steps. The neighborhood was scary and in the middle of a bar zone so there were drunkards and yelling people all night long. We barricaded the doors with chairs because there was no way to lock the doors from the inside. They locked automatically but in that neighborhood especially I'd prefer a latch or knob or something on the inside to prove to myself it's indeed LOCKED. There was a door leading to the outside from the room with a twin bed in it for my son as well that I also had to barricade. My husband and I split up and I stayed in the front room because we did not feel safe leaving our children unattended sleeping.
I must say that the apartment itself was decently decorated and renovated. If you are a pack of students that don't care if there are strippers walking around and drunkards and just need a place to lay your head this place might do the trick. If you are a couple or family steer clear.
IN THE MORNING I LOOKED AT MY HUSBAND AND SAID - WE ARE ALIVE! HIGH FIVE!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family