“A Happy Accidental find”
Review of Purslane

Purslane
Ranked #7 of 446 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$8 - US$43
Cuisines: Seafood, European, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Critically-acclaimed, small, independent restaurant specialising in sustainable British seafood and local Cotswold produce.
Wiltshire
“A Happy Accidental find”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Whilst staying in Cheltenham for the Prescott Hill Climb event at the weekend, my husband and I came upon this restaurant quite by accident and were luck y enough to be given the last free table. What a find! We had no idea that we had arrived only a couple of weeks after its launch, but all we knew was that The Purslane is definitely going to be on our agenda next Prescott Hill Climb. The food was delicious, presented with flair and precision. The choices available were out to tease us. A huge fish lover, I was delighted in the concept of freshly caught sea creatures of varied kinds, despite not being that close to the coast; my husband, more a meat lover, was equally delighted with his non fishy choices, though his onglet steak was a little chewy. We eat out quite often and have sampled Michelin star offerings - the Purslane can hold its own with any of them! Long may this new venture succeed

• Visited August 2012

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“New fish restaurant in Cheltenham”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I went to the newly opened Purslane with some friends last week. The restaurant itself has been really nicely decorated and appointed. There are two menus to choose from, one a small fixed price menu which seemed good value if you fancied what was on there or the main menu which was wasn't cheap, so be prepared for that, e.g starters were 8 pounds, mains 16 pounds and deserts 6 pounds. The wine list catered for all budgets with sauvignon blanc starting at 17 pounds a bottle.

The food which is obviously the main attraction was excellent, I went for two fish courses and thoroughly enjoyed them both. My monkfish main came with gnocchi which was the best I have ever tasted.

If you're worried about going with someone who doesn't like fish, don't as the menu caters for everyone - I was really tempted with the rabbit main.

In summary, I would definitely go back again and would recommend, though given the pricing it is probably somewhere i would visit on a special occasion (and the food and ambiance merit that too) rather than more frequently.

• Visited July 2012