“I wanted to lick the plate!!!!”
Review of Purslane

Purslane
Ranked #8 of 460 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$8 - US$45
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Critically-acclaimed, small, independent restaurant specialising in sustainable British seafood and local Cotswold produce.
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We dined here one midweek lunchtime in September, sadly we were the only diners.
The food was fantastic, bette than many starred places we had eaten in, the squash puree was so good I wanted to pick the plate up and lick it!!
Chatting to the co owner I discovered that the both the chef and she herself had worked in renowned places, and their commitment to both food and service were second to none.
Purslane only opened in July of this year and it really deserves to make through this tough time, so, please people of Cheltenham and visitors dine here so that it will still be there when we visit again.

2  Thank snapdragonyorkshire
There are newer reviews for Purslane

Reviewed 4 October 2012

I was in Cheltenham with my husband for the day and we found this place by chance - I am so glad we did! Saturday lunch can sometimes be tricky atmoshore wise and we were the only couple in the dining room but the place has a lovely feel about it and the french waitress was warm and charming.
We chose items from both the fixed price and main menu and chose one of the cheaper wines a french sauvigon which was suprisingly good. All the food we had was perfect, not far off the Sheeky/Scotts standard in my opinion. I wish I lived nearer to Cheltenham so this place could become one of my regulars. I urge anyone who lives locally to give this place a try.

1  Thank Maniacnumber1
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This is a fantastic addition to the dining scene in Cheltenham and think the formula of £8 starters and puds and £16 main courses is spot on for the amazing food. Sourced ethically and fresh on the day the delicate combinations of flavours are a real credit to the chef and presentation is stunning without being pretentious. The focus is mainly fish but there is usually a meat option too and vegetarians can be catered for. Service is the right combination of friendly and professional.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Really enjoyed our visit earlier this month. The owner is charming and knowledgeable. The food was nicely prepared although I did find the starter too 'nouvelle cuisine portion size', considering the main course and dessert were of a normal size for a la carte dining. Had it been the taster menu I would have understood. My friends liked the decor. I found it had a bit of a 'basement' feel about it. I appreciate the idea is making it simple and convivial but they are not simple/convenient prices. It is not an expensive retaurant but it is the kind of place you want to spend time in, have the whole shebang (from aperitif to digestif) and therefore you are likely to spend a bit of money in too. I suppose I am saying the food/feel and integrity of the place is a bit too good for the sparse decor. There is something incoherent there in my opinion. I would recommend the hot chocolate mousse, the wines and generally picking the owners brains!

Reviewed 13 September 2012

Our trip to Purslane was excellent. The restaurant focuses on being environmentally-friendly and the seafood was second to none. The French menu is mainly seafood but there are other things to tempt the palate including vegetarian options. The staff were friendly and professional and the food exquisite. I've knocked 1 star off because I do think that the prices could be a couple of pounds cheaper (starters were around £8 and mains were in their mid-teens) but for a special occasion Purslane cannot be beaten. This little restaurant deserves to do really well and is a welcome addition to Cheltenham.