“Creative cuisine in unpretentious restaurant”
Review of Purslane

Purslane
Ranked #7 of 467 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$8 - US$44
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Critically-acclaimed, small, independent restaurant specialising in sustainable British seafood and local Cotswold produce.
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Specialising in fish dishes - although carnivores are catered for - Purslane delivers the freshest of ingredients in creative style; a Turbot dish was perfectly cooked, allowing this quality fish from Cornwall speak for itself. Service and décor are unpretentious, emphasising that the food on the plate takes centre stage. Our second visit confirmed the high quality of this relative newcomer to the Cheltenham dining scene.

Helena F, Owner at Purslane, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thanks ever so much Sheila, we are still a relatively young restaurant, having turned two just last week. Gareth was also very humbled to receive Chef of the Year at last week's Cotswold Life Food and Drink Awards, so hopefully that was a sign of great things to come for us as we grow.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was our third trip to Purslane over a couple of years and it seems to be getting even better. I couldn't fault a single aspect of the food, presentation or service. Absolute perfection.

Helena F, Owner at Purslane, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thanks so much for the review and also for the return visits! I have to disagree on the use of the word 'perfection' however. There's ALWAYS room for improvement, even if you're lucky enough to have been open for 50 years.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

First time here and not disappointed, we want to go back.

Great food, interesting/varied menu, fab presentation, service excellent, we felt it was good value for the high standard of food, atmosphere is cosy and relaxed, but modern decor. My partner is a chef and he had the scallops for main, best he ever had and I had the pork, which was tasty, the triple cooked chips, which aren't really chips, more "potato tubes" are amazing. I had food envy for other diners food that was coming out too which is a good sign!

1  Thank Jo C
Helena F, Owner at Purslane, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

It's a good day when you pass muster for a fellow chef. I know from experience that they can be the most critical and particular people to dine with. I have food envy every time I carry plates out to the tables or pour a glass of wine for a customer, so can also empathise there too! Thank you for posting your feedback.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Fabulous restaurant in the heart of Cheltenham specialising in seafood. The dishes were creative, perfectly cooked and presented. The atmosphere was intimate and the service fabulous - unpretentious yet completely professional. Would highly recommend and would definitely return.

Helena F, Owner at Purslane, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you Heather, we try our best to find the right balance of relaxed and professional in our delivery of service so it's great to hear when people have enjoyed that.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The restaurant specialises in seafood dishes all of which are very different from the standard dishes on offer e.g. Cornish cod and Cornish plaice. The vegetables were delicious. I didn't order the fat chips with summer truffle but the person on the next table had and they looked and smelt absolutely delicious. I saved myself for the desserts and can recommend the gooseberry combination as it's such an English dessert. Well worth a visit and the staff are so attentive and welcoming too.

Helena F, Owner at Purslane, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you Joyce, really appreciate your comments. It's hard to stop your stomach growling when there's a basket of truffled tiple-cooked chips nearby, I know the feeling. Unfortunately the gooseberries are now past their best for this year, but we have some gorgeous organic greengages waiting in the wings which hopefully I will get first 'taste test' on!