“5 friends, 2 rifles, 1 very average experience”
Review of Prescott Shooting School - CLOSED

Prescott Shooting School
Reviewed 27 October 2012

A group of friends had arranged an hour of air rifle shooting @ £20 per person.

Firstly, the location needs to be far better-described on their website. If approaching from the B4077, follow your satnav instructions but go way beyond the predicted destination point until you finally see a sign for Prescott Shooting. Ignore the house you first see on your left, say goodbye to your clean tyres and and proceed on the dirt track around any barns, haystacks and farm vehicles you may come across. If you have a vehicle completely unsuitable for off-road, don't drive here. Our group shared two cars and we both got lost, needing the advice of locals to guide us. Even hours later whilst dining at a local pub, two others had got lost and asked for directions! Thus, leave in plenty of time as if you're late, they won't care, insisting no-one else gets lost, which is clearly untrue. We were lucky that no group was booked after us and insisted we get our full hour. Others may not be so lucky.

The set up is rather more amateur than we had expected, consisting of some plastic patio furniture, some targets between a few trees and in our case, two rifles to be shared between five people. It's not sheltered so wrap up warm if its a cold day.

As a group, we discussed our rather disappointing experience and agreed it wasn't really worth the £20/person/hour. However, if this is something you definitely must do and want to remain local to the area, you may not have any other options, other than to buy some water guns and play in your own back garden.

6  Thank iSpartanets

Reviewed 23 October 2012

We did a 'taster' session - 1-to-2 tuition for just £25!! doesn't get much better than that.

So good we took our son and Brother-in-Law. Great experience and not to be missed.

Good opportunity to try out Clay Shooting if you've not tried before or to brush up skills

Reviewed 19 August 2012

I attended a beginners' session as part of a GroupOn deal, and thoroughly enjoyed my time here. The range is in the heart of of the Gloucestershire countryside on a working farm, and provides trap shooting training/days out for beginners, as well as facilities for experienced shots. For beginners, I would recommend no more than 2-3 hours initially if you're in a small group/couple as I found my arms were aching. In a larger group where you get more rest, I'm sure you could shoot for longer.

The location isn't easy to find - we got lost twice getting there, but it's worth it to shoot in a leafy private area in the shade on top of some lovely countryside. The track to get down to the range from the farm is very rugged - make sure your vehicle can handle it.

The facilities are very good - after you arrive at a main lodge (with refreshments, a shop and toilet facilities), you can purchase cartridges and hire a gun and go on the range (with pre-booking and presentation of your certificate), or, if you've pre-booked a lesson, you'll most likely meet Dan.

Dan is an excellent tutor, with a calm and professional manner and infinite patience. Safety is extremely highly regarded, and the traps on offer provide a nice mix (I believe there are 6 traps, one of which being a rabbit simulation). He deliberately uses ammunition and guns with a softer recoil and noise for beginners who may not be used to the sport.

I wouldn't hesitate to return, and am seriously considering extending my lessons to obtain a shotgun licence. A thoroughly enjoyable experience.