“A beautiful pub with real charm.”

The Old Restoration
Ranked #2 of 42 Nightlife in Cheltenham
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1661 in honour of King Charles II agreement with parliament to reinstate the Monarchy, The Old Restoration of Cheltenham lives up to it's name, maintaining a strong legacy of the service and standards that are the reason Britain is world renowned as being home to the best pubs in the world! We're proud to be part of such a landmark and love to share the experience with you. A unique mix of classic and contemporary, you will be offered a warm welcome surrounded by the open fires, exposed wooden beams and cosy seating - leading you through the history of A Great British Pub - into the brand new bar, serving the Tastiest Cocktails you'll find anywhere, alongside Award Winning Local Real Ales - perfect every time. It's not just our drinks which will make you want to come back for more - with our long standing 5 Star rating from the FSA you're sure to find your food is perfect every time and we wouldn't have it any other way. For big group bookings, be it an office party, birthday celebrations - whatever you need - We Can Offer The Perfect Setting For Your Special Occasion. We also offer a professional conference room hire, perfect for meetings, trainings, or business lunches.
Sydney, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A beautiful pub with real charm.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We were looking for an evening feed in an English pub and after looking around a bit we found this place. "Cheltenham's oldest pub" certainly has its old charm with its beautiful wood structure and furnishings and warm friendly service. We had a fantastic fresh and delicious pub meal at a very affordable price and then some tasty dessert!
The atmosphere is relaxed and music was nice in the background. This was a great place to chill out in and feel at home in straight away.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Christopher A
ian n, Manager at The Old Restoration, responded to this review, 16 February 2015
Thank you for such a kind review, we are very blessed to be trading in such a wonderful building, and have 17th Century builders and architects to thank! The service and food is all us though, and we're really glad you had a lovely time. Please come and see us again if you have the opportunity!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Service - something that they think starts a tennis point!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Hadn't been in here for years and now I see why. Dreadful service, warm Becks and unwelcoming barmen. The bar area was dark and the place had no atmosphere.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Dave D
ian n, Guest Relations Manager at The Old Restoration, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
We're very sorry your experience wasn't up to to standard, and sincerely apologise. We did have a problem with our lager fridge last week, and some products were not as cold as they should have been for a perfect serve, and were feeling cold on the bottle, but not for the customer, and thus, we did have a few sent back in a short space of time, and all these customers were compensated with a more premium product, on the house.
As for the service, we love to pride ourselves on our fantastic, and personal service to all our customers, old and new. You must of caught one of us on a bad day, and whilst we're only human, this is unacceptable, and we can only apologise.
The bar is dark, however, due to the nature of the building - we are Cheltenham's oldest pub, built in 1661, and thus, there's only so much we can do with the lighting. Some say it's what they find endearing about the place, that we are a traditional pub, not a trendy, fancy wine bar.
Please come back and give us a second chance, we're sure you won't be disappointed!
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I absolutely loved it here, it had a lovely atmosphere. We eat here when we visited Cheltenham for my birthday, it had a lovely old pub feel to it. We sat straight away and my partner ordered us drinks and meals, I changed my mind and there was no problem changing my order.

The lady was really friendly and helpful and loved chatting to the customers.

The food arrived fairly quick, we both had the BBQ chicken which was beautiful, a tad on the spicy side for me but I don't like any spice.

I had a bottle of wine, I didn't realise but if I had bought 2 glasses of wine I would have had the rest of bottle free which would've turned out cheaper than buying the whole bottle.

Visited October 2013
Thank you for such a positive review, we really appreciate such feedback! All our staff do enjoy a chinwag with customers - you all have such different things to tell, and you are, after all, what keeps us in business! Many thanks, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Reasonable prices.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

I've eaten here several times, and the prices are reasonable, and the staff are pleasant and polite enough. The only problem I've had is when I choose the lasagne, (on two separate occasions) I've had to ask for it to be heated up as it's only been luke warm. I've given up ordering the lasagne as by the time it's warmed up (again) the other people I'm with have eaten their meals! The mixed grill is very good value for money. For a cheap and cheerful meal, nothing gourmet, this pub is ok.

Visited August 2013
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate honest feedback, as there's always room to improve! We're sorry your lasagne hasn't been up to standard, but are glad you think we're good value! We've stepped up our game in the kitchen, with a new menu, and lots more Homecooked dishes, which we think are a vast improvement on old menus under previous companies, so please come back and try us again. We promise you wont be disappointed!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Cheltenhams best secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

If you're looking for somewhere that has friendly staff and good food then you should go to the Old Restoration. I have been back in twice now and each time I have had some really good food. The burgers are fantastic and my housemate said his all day breakfast was as well. We thought firstly that it was just a drinking establishment and that the food might be iffy but how wrong we were! 100x better than Whetherspoons. The lady behind the bar was chatting to everyone as if she knew them all and was really friendly both times we have had food there.

I had the emmental burger and it was amazing. So i recommend that dish.

I think that everyone should eat here as to me its my favourite pub food place in Cheltenham.

Visited August 2013
Thank you so much for such a lovely review! We do get worried that people may not realise we do a full menu, as due to the age of the building, the lighting at the front can give off a rather dingy 'local pub for local people' vibe, and we're really glad you looked past this!! Thank you for comments about us vs. a rival business - we're not allowed to really comment on that, but you made us smile! Please come back and see us again soon!