“Best fish & chips”

Simpsons Fish and Chips
Ranked #64 of 479 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$10 - US$17
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: ALL FOOD IS COOKED BY HUMANS, if we have made a mistake, please tell us and see if we can rectify it before writing a review. Very much appreciated, Thankyou! UK WINNER of the National Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Competition 2016.
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Great service, efficient and courteous, also excellent fish & chips (most important bit). The ticket-based service worked well even though it was quite busy when I was there, so I didn't have to wait very long. Fish was tasty, chips non-greasy, all served in a convenient box so saved on washing up as well.

James R, Manager at Simpsons Fish and Chips, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed your visit!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We visit Simpson's quite regularly and have never been disappointed with the food, the portions or the service.
OK , we have to wait a little while on some visits but this is when they are extremely busy with the restaurant and the take away service, but the wait is worth it. The staff are all very friendly and helpful and treat us as friends rather than clients. In my opinion they cater well for children giving them crayons and colouring pads to entertain them .

Thankyou for the great review, see you again soon!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I think this this is one of the nicest fish restaurants I've visited.
The fish is beautiful and the groundnut oil they use tastes no different but isn't as greasy as normal. The lightly battered sea bass is beautiful and the haddock is always really tasty.
I'd recommend phoning through a takeaway order in advance as it's always really busy.
The small-ish restaurant section has nice decor and really friendly staff.
A little pricier than your average chippy but it's well worth it for this much-more-than-average restaurant.

Thank you so much for the great review!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This award-winning fish and chip restaurant has a lot to live up to. And sadly I think it's failing - either through complacency or bad counter management. On every occasion I have willingly joined the queue, trusting that the wait will "be worth it". The fact that I have returned five or six times is testament to excellent fish - but I estimate that the average waiting time has been over 30 minutes. This is not good enough. In theory the cook-to-order system should be foolproof. You evenly move up the queue and by the time your receive your order, the food is packaged up piping hot. Last time, however, my bespoke order of fish cakes was gazumped by another customer who came into the shop after me - this meant that my order fell in even further down the queue while new fish cakes were cooked. Waiting time 45 minutes! And even then the chips were only warm. Despite a relatively straightforward ordering system I had a real sense that there was a disconnect between the counter staff and the cooks behind the fryers. Anyway I'm afraid that living close by the restaurant that came second in the National Fish & Chip Awards has been a real disappointment. I think it has become a victim of its own success.

2  Thank Bob D
James R, Manager at Simpsons Fish and Chips, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your feedback. I must say I'm devastated you didn't feel you could come directly to us about this and give us the opportunity to rectify the situation or even make us aware that we need some more training. I don't get a notification of a review from trip advisor for a few days, so in the mean time we go about our business as though all is well.

It's true we are having difficulties with regards to being short staffed at the moment, we've had to take on several new members, both fryers and servers, to cope with demand and they are unfortunately having to be thrown in the deep end. It's very difficult to train new staff when it's always so busy, so to be quite honest you're right, we are becoming victims of our own success. The saving grace is that we very rarely get any bad feedback about the food, so at least we've got that right.

I'm extremely sorry you have had the misfortune of waiting so long for your food on so many occasions. In a restaurant the time goes by quickly while you drink and chat, you can easily wait even up to an hour for food without thinking too much about it. In a takeaway you want it asap which is understandable. What many don't consider is that a restaurant only has so many covers, let's say on average 40 people. You can control the flow more by staggering the seating of customers and getting drinks/menus etc, you may have to be fast on your feet but you get an order for maybe 4 people at a time with another order coming in 5 minutes later. In our takeaway we can have 30 people come in within the space of 10 minutes and they all want 4-8 fish. This results in more orders coming in than we can physically fit in the fryers, which in turn results in a bit of a backlog and a chef who has to try to remember it all. We've tried kitchen printers etc but this hasn't worked for us.

I can promise you we are trying everything in our power to speed up our service, in fact we don't even cook cod to order on Fridays anymore because it's always sold before we can cook it! The last couple of weeks we have been timing the wait times and have an average of 12-15 minutes during busy periods. We've even had a professional mystery shopper come in and they were in the shop for 12 minutes all together. Of course if something is forgotten or we make a mistake then this can be longer.

If you really enjoy our food but can't wait, perhaps you could visit before 5.30pm of after 8.30pm? Its usually much quieter then so you'd only have to wait a few minutes.

I'd very much like for you to contact me with more information, such as the date/time you visited, who served you, a recap of your order etc. That way I can address the team much easier and speak to the people who may need a little more guidance. My email is cheltenham@simpsonsfishandchips.com

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I'm sorry once again.

Look forward to hearing from you.

James

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Called for chippy meal staff were ok and efficient. meal was ok but portions not what I am used to .

1  Thank Steve E

Thanks for the review. Sorry we left you wanting more...