“Good food and good for Cheltenham” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of L'Artisan

L'Artisan
Ranked #4 of 440 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Diner, French, European
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The genuine French Restaurant of Cheltenham
cheltenham
“Good food and good for Cheltenham”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I have not been here for quite some time. The food is very good and far better than Brasserie Blanc's efforts at the moment. It's family run and therefore attention to detail is more considered, I can't abide these chain restaurants that promise various types of cuisine and just churn out the same old semi authentic stuff.
I had a lovely time with my wife and it was her first time visiting here.
Amouse bouche of salmon was great.
Bread.... was goodish, my wife loved it, I thought it had a slightly dry crumb? Cafe de Paris butter was a nice touch and very tasty that gave the bread more zing.
My snails, slightly small and not enough garlic, but that's just my taste.
My wife had the lobster, prawn and saffron risotto - very good, I tried it and thought it slightly on the dryish side, I like risotto to be wetter, but again just personal taste.
My main was Salad Nicoise (starter size), - as my wife thinks I am rather rotund and need to shed those extra kilos, again very pleasant, that's the Nicoise not the kilos.

I would think that L'artisan is very enjoyable in the evening, lights down, candles lit and very romantic. We went for lunch and with few people in, lacked any background hum, maybe some low Jonny Hallyday...........Or may be not ? - (depending if you are actually JH or just plain tone deaf....like JH?!!)?! Oooops, Some low music anyway.(If it was on, I couldn't hear it).
All in all, top marks (for being French in the first place), family run and good food.
If I have a small niggle, maybe the menu is not concise and quite highlighted enough as there are many dishes on offer.
Will return soon, with even the possibility of candle light supper so my wife can gaze longingly at my fat ugly fizzog.
I enjoyed the meal.....and so did my beautiful wife.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Buxton, United Kingdom
“Superb. Must Try”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Table of 5 with friends truly excellent experience. Food, wine, service, ambiance all perfect. Highly recommend and we will go again.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Lovely French restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We've enjoyed a number of lunches at L'Artisan and have never been disappointed. The staff are very friendly and the atmosphere is cosy and intimate. The food is first rate and surpasses some of the more established restaurants in Cheltenham. A real find!

Winchcombe, United Kingdom
“Wonderful birthday treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

This was my birthday pressie from my boyfriend and my god it was absolutely fantastic! We both said it was the best meal we had in an age, including only 5 days before at a 4 star hotel! Highly recommended!

Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Cream of Brûlées!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

A truly memorable lunch,charming service and impeccable french cooking from the husband and wife team in the kitchen. The friendly and well informed staff were attentive without being omnipresent, amuse-bouche were served during the meal ( a rare treat and such a superb detail ) along with offerings from a basket of rustic home made breads. I had a french onion soup which was charming in its simplicity and a fresh and lively salad nicoise that could only have been dressed by a frenchman (or woman bien sur !) My wife had the whitebait which she enjoyed, and a couple of glasses of superb french whites. We rounded off with creme brûlée which quite unexpectedly stole the show. It was a very good size indeed, decadently garnished and a sledgehammer was required to make even the slightest dent on the slab of amber caramel protecting the perfect custard beneath, honestly the best I've ever had anywhere! needless to say a dinky pot of chocolate ganache arrived alongside this to further amuse ones bouche! good coffee finished the meal appropriately and the bill when it arrived was just one more in a long run of pleasant surprises. miss eating here at your peril gastronaughts!

1 Thank Eddie L