“Finally - a decent sushi restaurant in Cheltenham. Forget expensive YoSushi!”

KIBOUsushi, Cheltenham
Ranked #6 of 482 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Established back in 2013, KIBOUsushi is Cheltenham's original Japanese Hot Kitchen, Sushi & Ramen Bar. Serving delicious, homemade RAMEN, the freshest SUSHI & SASHIMI, TEMPURA, GYOZA, KATSU CURRY, TERIYAKI, OKONOMIYAKI, JYU, YAKISOBA, TAKOYAKI, JAPANESE WHISKY, TEAS & A VEGETARIAN/GLUTEN FREE MENU. Booking is highly recommended as we are very small; we look forward to welcoming you at KIBOUsushi, Cheltenham!
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I'm going to say this first (and will repeat later) because it's very important - this place is so much better value than YO! Sushi

First impression
Nice, clean layout. They can definitely cater for larger groups by combining tables near the back, but what I like is the sushi bar and window bar areas - ideal for solo or couples. There are even thoughtfully placed power sockets at the window bar for those that can't get away from their electronic devices :-)

Menu & Food
I've been here for lunch and dinner. There's a fair amount of variety (but not too much that it becomes overwhelming) and there are helpful explanations of the different types of sushi. For starters, the tempura batter is some of the best I've had (I've tried both the tempura vegetables and shrimp). Light, but not too greasy, accompanied by a very delicious chilli mayonnaise. The portion sizes are generous (you *have* to see the size of the tempura shrimp).

I followed this up with a combination dish, which included some nigiri (ball of rice topped with various fish), sashimi (slices of tuna and salmon) and a maki roll (rice and seafood wrapped around by seaweed). The maki roll was a beautiful shrimp tempura roll and we liked it so much we ordered just the maki roll again!

Service & Atmosphere
The owner was very accomodating. We turned up towards the very end of lunchtime service on Saturday but she still allowed us to sit down and didn't make us feel rushed at all. Food came out pretty quickly (which was impressive as most of the tables were still being served food), so much so that we managed to finish lunch within 40 minutes.

I can't stress enough that this place is so much better value than YO! Sushi. The starters are around £5.50 (but when you see the portion sizes, that's great value) and the main dishes that come with around 12 pieces of sushi are around £8-12. It may not be cheapest dining option around, but for sushi you'd be hard pressed to find better value (and to be honest, I'd think twice before eating raw fish from a very cheap place).

Overall
I would come back here in an instant. It's great for couples or friends and I'd definitely feel comfortable bringing business visitors here too. The quality of the ingredients are excellent and the sushi is executed perfectly. I'd heard good things about the sushi restaurant in Cirencester (Soushi?) but I believe the chef is now working at Kobui - saves me a trip to Cirencester then!

8  Thank pandaexplorer
KIBOUsushi_Team, Owner at KIBOUsushi, Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Thank you for the excellent review you have given KIBOUsushi, we are so glad that you enjoyed your meal with us and hope very much that we will see you again - we have passed on your compliments about the Tempura to the chef!
Regards

Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Three course meal for two with a bottle of wine £75

Outstanding food.
Knowledgeable friendly staff.
Overall, a wonderful experience and I would strongly recommend to family and friends.

Will be back again soon to try the rest of the menu!

2  Thank Ga3587

What a lovely review, thank you so much - hope to see you again soon!

Regards,

Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

This was our first trip to Kibou Sushi having intended to go since it opened. The whole evening was perfect. The starters were great, Edamame beans the best ever tasted. I had the special tuna steak with Ginger and it was probably the best tuna I've ever eaten. Really impressed with the quality if the good, cooked and served with skill and class. This is my new favourite restaurant in Cheltenham. Would absolutely recommend to anyone.

4  Thank JBugLondon

Thank you for the lovely review you have written - makes it all worth it! We hope to see back again very soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

I have visited Kibou Sushi several times since its opening and have thoroughly enjoyed every experience! To me the food is the most important thing and the fish is very high quality and the overall flavour of the sushi is amazing. The variety on the menu and the changing specials give you different options each time you visit and the mixed 'sets' mean you can try new things.
I do somewhat agree with the other reviewer in that the service could be improved but only in as much as it feels slightly awkward. Personally this doesn't bother me and didn't detract from my experience as I just put it down to the newness of the restaurant and everyone finding their feet. All of the staff are very nice and helpful and I have requested things slightly different to the menu each time I've visited and they have always been happy to accommodate me!
I have to mention the tempura too, it's incredible!
I will definitely be visiting on a regar basis a d have recommended it to all my friends!

6  Thank Cotswold15

We would like to thank you for the wonderful review you have given KIBOUsushi and look forward to seeing you again soon; glad to hear that you like the Tempura so much do look out for our Beetroot Tempura special, it's delicious!

Many thanks

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I was really excited about the opening of an authentic sushi restaurant in Cheltenham as I have been waiting for someone to do it for years but sadly I think the owners of this one have got it wrong. Whilst the sushi itself is quite good and the place looks authentic the atmosphere and experience is are not. Yes there is the too bright lighting of a Japanese sushi bar and yes the chefs clearly know what they are doing but something is missing.

The evening itself was very awkward and I felt like the staff (inc the owner who was our waitress) have very little restaurant experience as they were all very nervous and kept coming over to us every 30 seconds which doesn't make for a relaxing restaurant experience. Also despite more staff than customers we also had to ask for our bill twice.

Several parties of guests were turned away as the restaurant was 'fully booked' which made no sense to us as sushi is a relatively quick meal and I'm sure they would have been able to turn some tables as they were not filled by the guests during the time we were there.

The other thing that really let this place down was the open kitchen giving us a great view of the sushi chef touching some wasabi on a plate for a customer after wiping his nose with the same hand.

Disappointing.

3  Thank ileftmyheartinTokyo

Thank you for your recent review of KIBOUsushi.

We were saddened to read that your experience wasn’t as good as we would have hoped. All feedback is useful, especially as a newly opened restaurant and of course we will be sure to address all of your points so that should you return to KIBOUsushi you will experience the excellent customer service and impeccable food that we strive so hard to provide to all our guests.

May we thank you once again for your interest and we do hope that you will give us another try.

Regards,