“Sushi at its best!”

Ranked #11 of 446 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$20 - US$52
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Established in 2013, KIBOUsushi is Cheltenham's original Japanese Kitchen, Sushi, Poke & Ramen Bar; serving delicious, homemade RAMEN, the freshest SUSHI & SASHIMI, POKE BOWLS, TEMPURA, GYOZA, KATSU CURRY, TERIYAKI, YAKITORI, UDON, TAKOYAKI and so much more! We also offer a Gluten Free menu and are happy to advise on Vegetarian options. Booking highly recommended as we are very small. We look forward to welcoming you at KIBOUsushi, Cheltenham!
“Sushi at its best!”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I've been anticipating something exciting and wonderful like Kibou to come to Cheltenham for a long time now. Something different from the numerous chains and samey food!

We went soon after it opened and the very first thing we noticed was the unique decor! Clean and bright... but with an edge.

Secondly the menu was exciting and extensive, and thankfully for us (non 100% sushi experts!) the staff were friendly and helpful talking us through each option.

We got a mix of everything and shared a few plates. Firstly, the presentation was that of a restaurant double or triple it's price. Secondly, absolutely everything was exceptionally delicious and varied in flavours.

(I would strongly recommend the sharing dessert, if just to try and guess what the ice cream flavours are!!).

This is a restaurant for people lile us who have been to Yo Sushi twice, maybe three times, and realised its totally style over substance - and Kibou has both!

It's for people who want a more the genuine taste and experience of sushi.

(And a great place to take our visitors to Cheltenham to really impress!)

Excellent service.
Excellent atmosphere
Excellent food!!!!

• Visited August 2013
5 Thank Gemma B
KIBOUsushi_Team, Owner at KIBOUsushi, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Thank you for your lovely review of KIBOUsushi, we are delighted that you enjoyed the food so much and that the waiting staff made every effort to help you with your menu choices; a Japanese menu can sometimes be rather complicated to navigate!
It seems that we have ticked the boxes for you so far and hope very much that we will have the chance to do the same again soon!

Kent, England
“Tasting sushi for the first time”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Being new to eating sushi food I found this new restaurant to be cosy and welcoming. The friendly staff readily helped us to understand the menu and we ended up with a lovely variety of dishes to try. The food was beautifully presented, a real work of art, almost too good to eat but fortunately we did! Delicious! I have been happily initiated into the world of sushi! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for something new to try or for a special dining experience. Excellent food, great surroundings and very approachable staff. Great to be able to see the chefs at work in the open plan layout. I will certainly be going back again.

4 Thank 5325deb
KIBOUsushi_Team, Owner at KIBOUsushi, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Thank you for the kind review you have given KIBOUsushi; we're happy to hear that your sushi initiation with us was so positive!
Regards
Midlands
“Finally - a decent sushi restaurant in Cheltenham. Forget expensive YoSushi!”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I'm going to say this first (and will repeat later) because it's very important - this place is so much better value than YO! Sushi

First impression
Nice, clean layout. They can definitely cater for larger groups by combining tables near the back, but what I like is the sushi bar and window bar areas - ideal for solo or couples. There are even thoughtfully placed power sockets at the window bar for those that can't get away from their electronic devices :-)

Menu & Food
I've been here for lunch and dinner. There's a fair amount of variety (but not too much that it becomes overwhelming) and there are helpful explanations of the different types of sushi. For starters, the tempura batter is some of the best I've had (I've tried both the tempura vegetables and shrimp). Light, but not too greasy, accompanied by a very delicious chilli mayonnaise. The portion sizes are generous (you *have* to see the size of the tempura shrimp).

I followed this up with a combination dish, which included some nigiri (ball of rice topped with various fish), sashimi (slices of tuna and salmon) and a maki roll (rice and seafood wrapped around by seaweed). The maki roll was a beautiful shrimp tempura roll and we liked it so much we ordered just the maki roll again!

Service & Atmosphere
The owner was very accomodating. We turned up towards the very end of lunchtime service on Saturday but she still allowed us to sit down and didn't make us feel rushed at all. Food came out pretty quickly (which was impressive as most of the tables were still being served food), so much so that we managed to finish lunch within 40 minutes.

I can't stress enough that this place is so much better value than YO! Sushi. The starters are around £5.50 (but when you see the portion sizes, that's great value) and the main dishes that come with around 12 pieces of sushi are around £8-12. It may not be cheapest dining option around, but for sushi you'd be hard pressed to find better value (and to be honest, I'd think twice before eating raw fish from a very cheap place).

Overall
I would come back here in an instant. It's great for couples or friends and I'd definitely feel comfortable bringing business visitors here too. The quality of the ingredients are excellent and the sushi is executed perfectly. I'd heard good things about the sushi restaurant in Cirencester (Soushi?) but I believe the chef is now working at Kobui - saves me a trip to Cirencester then!

• Visited September 2013
8 Thank pandaexplorer
Thank you for the excellent review you have given KIBOUsushi, we are so glad that you enjoyed your meal with us and hope very much that we will see you again - we have passed on your compliments about the Tempura to the chef!
Regards
The KIBOUsushi Team
“Up there with the best”
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Three course meal for two with a bottle of wine £75

Outstanding food.
Knowledgeable friendly staff.
Overall, a wonderful experience and I would strongly recommend to family and friends.

Will be back again soon to try the rest of the menu!

2 Thank Ga3587
What a lovely review, thank you so much - hope to see you again soon!

Regards,
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Exceptional food and service”
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

This was our first trip to Kibou Sushi having intended to go since it opened. The whole evening was perfect. The starters were great, Edamame beans the best ever tasted. I had the special tuna steak with Ginger and it was probably the best tuna I've ever eaten. Really impressed with the quality if the good, cooked and served with skill and class. This is my new favourite restaurant in Cheltenham. Would absolutely recommend to anyone.

4 Thank JBugLondon
Thank you for the lovely review you have written - makes it all worth it! We hope to see back again very soon.