“Great service pretty good food”
Review of KIBOUsushi

KIBOUsushi
Ranked #9 of 446 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$19 - US$51
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Established in 2013, KIBOUsushi is Cheltenham's original Japanese Kitchen, Sushi, Poke & Ramen Bar; serving delicious, homemade RAMEN, the freshest SUSHI & SASHIMI, POKE BOWLS, TEMPURA, GYOZA, KATSU CURRY, TERIYAKI, UDON, TAKOYAKI and so much more! We also offer a Gluten Free menu and are happy to advise on Vegetarian options. Booking highly recommended as we are very small. We look forward to welcoming you at KIBOUsushi, Cheltenham!
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Great service pretty good food”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

I do like this place, it's not the best sushi we've ever eaten but it's pretty good. The hand rolls and sashimi were great! The service was really good, but they don't take tips on card which was a bit of a pain as we weren't carrying cash. I would come here again.

KIBOUsushi_Team, Owner at KIBOUsushi, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review; apologies for the "no tip on card" policy but we have found this to be the most efficient way to deal with tips so far.
We do hope to see you again soon and many thanks once again for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.
Kind regards,

“lovely evening”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Elegant, Asian adjacent feel but in a fashionable way rather than in a themed way.
Small cosy restaurant below stairs just down from the Everyman Theatre could easily be missed but try not to....it's too good to miss!
I ordered from the main menu and the specials. The food was a treat for the eyes, was obviously the highest quality and presented beautifully. I was expecting more sushi and sashimi on the menu but the choice I had was still good and in fact chose no raw food in the end.
I had 3 courses (also had chocolate brownie.....not very Asian but my favourite so no complaints from me) for £26- great value.
Clearly this is not a well kept secret as the restaurant was busy when I arrived at 8.45pm on a Tuesday so don't forget to phone a reservation.

• Visited April 2014
KIBOUsushi, Owner at KIBOUsushi, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review; we are so glad that you enjoyed your visit and hope that you will come back again soon!
Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
“Undercooked chicken”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Having heard raving reviews of KibouSushi,I decided to venture to the restaurant bar this evening.As I arrived, I was told the place was booked up but they were able to squeeze me in.The layout and decoration of the place was excellent,I really got a vibe of east Asia.Whilst, I was waiting for my dish,I was given a complimentary bowl of wasabi peas to go with my Japanese Green tea.The tea was lovely and authentic.Then came my dish of Chicken Teriyaki,to my disgust I found that the chicken was undercooked. Yes,I understand in Asia a lot of dishes are undercooked but to go to an expensive British restaurant to find my chicken is not cooked properly is appalling. I complained to the waiter for the chef to tell me that it was not undercooked and that was the way the dish was suppose to be.So pink with blood is how a chicken should be served? I was also shocked at how the waiter did not give me my full receipt at the end.Despite the negatives the presentation of the food was beautiful.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Roseanna M
KIBOUsushi_Team, Owner at KIBOUsushi, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
I think I should go through the comments in your review one by one just to clarify matters for those reading this disappointingly "poor" rated review.
Firstly I am so glad we were able to squeeze you in last night (Thursday) even though we were fully booked and what a pleasure it is to read how much you enjoyed the layout and the "Asian" vibe of our restaurant; I am also delighted to read how much you enjoyed our tea and the presentation of the food.
I see however that you were not happy with your Chicken Teriyaki because, in your opinion, it was underdone; I have spoken with chef about the conversation he had with you and he says that because you finished your meal after speaking with him he thought he had been able to re-assure you that the reason the chicken appeared more underdone than you may be used to is because of course it is chicken thigh that we use in this dish and not chicken breast. Chicken thigh can sometimes appear underdone when in fact it is not, both the flavour and the texture of chicken thigh is, in chef's opinion, far better suited to a teriyaki than the breast of chicken which, although white in colour, can often be rather dry. I must apologise that you were not forewarned of chef's choice of cut, however, hopefully you were well re-assured because as I say I was relieved to learn that you were able to finish the dish after speaking with him.
Finally I note also that you were "shocked" by the fact that on receipt of your change last night you did not get your bill back; in conclusion, when you asked for it, it was brought back to you immediately. I have of course pointed this out to my team and they have assured me that it will never happen again!!
Kind Regards.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Went to Kibousushi to celebrate my birthday. Great food, great service, cosy restaurant and reasonably priced. The presentation and quality of the food was excellent. The specials were lovely. A very pleasant evening.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank M K
KIBOUsushi, Owner at KIBOUsushi, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for the lovely review - what an honour that you chose to celebrate your birthday at KIBOUsushi and we are so glad that you enjoyed yourself!
See you again very soon,
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Best place for sushi in cheltenham”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The food was delicious and beautifully presented. I like the small, cosy feel of the restaurant, I have tried both the lunch menu and evening meal here. They have lovely specials. Particularly enjoyed the second visit with my mother, the house white is lovely. We enjoyed a platter of various sushi, the best prawn toast I have tasted and a beautiful chicken curry, all presented so nicely. the service is also great. I also recommend finishing with tea, they use fresh tea in wonderful glass pot. It is quite expensive but you pay for quality sushi and delicious food.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Emily B
KIBOUsushi_Team, Owner at KIBOUsushi, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for the very kind review; agreed, the Prawn Toast is the best and we will pass on your compliments to Chef!
Really hope to see you again here soon,
Kind regards