“Very nice small hotel close to town centre”

The Cheltenham Townhouse
Ranked #8 of 68 Cheltenham B&B and Inns
London
“Very nice small hotel close to town centre”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Stayed at the Cheltenham Townhouse for one night on a Saturday while visiting friends in the town. The hotel is about 10 minutes walk from the Montpelier area, in a very pleasant and quiet area north of the town centre. We had a lovely room on the top floor which was very large and quiet. Both the room and the common areas were very clean and nicely furnished.

The breakfast was very tasty, with a relatively wide choice. The staff are also all extremely friendly.

Overall a very good value hotel for a few nights if vising Cheltenham, would happily stay again.

Room Tip: We had room 21 which is on the very top floor, with a private staircase up from the main landing. I...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Situated in a regency cul de sac this elegant house is a bit like Cheltenham itself - very good in parts. Within easy reach of the town centre, leaving the grand surrounds of the hotel's street you are soon enveloped by fairly grim Victorian and modern development before once again emerging into the posh bits. Your tour around this much hyped town continues thoughout in the same vein. Back to the hotel - we received a cheerful and helpful welcome from the guy at the desk which is situated opposite the comfortable lounge with its good supply of reading material and thoughtfully stocked and well maintained honesty bar. The modern decor within the context of the period of the building is light and bright - and yes, a bit beige! The room (3) was well appointed, spacious and the bed comfortable. Good heating and room information as well.

The only problem we encountered was the shower which was a domestic arrangement with a glass bath screen. The shower hose has a mind of its own and insists on spraying water towards the screen which can't possibly cope; result water all over the bath panel and floor. Judging by the state of the bath panel and floor (and the smell of freshly applied silicon) this had been happening for some time, more the hotel's problem than ours I would suggest. Breakfast was ok, nothing special but slightly spoiled by clatty musak - corny pop songs, subjective I know but classy it most definitely was not and totally unnecessary.

All that said it's a good, relaxing place to stay in a nice town with lots of good eateries and shops.

Farnborough, Hants
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My husband and I have just spent two nights at The Cheltenham Townhouse and it proved to be a fantastic break. The Georgian building was exquisite, the decor beautiful and very tastefully done. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The bedroom (Room 4) was amazing, huge bed and a lovely suite.
The breakfast was delicious and served with a smile. Only 5 minutes walk to the town centre.
Excellent shops and restaurants.
A brilliant weekend. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend Room 4 - the room is very large and exquisite.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 January 2012

After staying in so many B&B in UK before, I found this B&B was definitely one of the best in UK! I went to Cheltenham for a short business trip last summer and booked the executive double rooms with breakfast.

The room I stayed with Victorian decor, floor to ceiling windows, Victorian Style Bath Tub, tea and coffee facilities, telephone, DVD/CD player, LCD TV, and free wifi.

I was so impressed by the indoor decor and the room was massive and comfortable. The lobby was nice, and I loved staying in the common room which played lovely classical music during the day time and evening before 10pm. The price was affordable and the location is close to the town centre.

I must mention about their breakfast, their breakfast was absolutely the best out of all the B&B! I felt like I was eating in a 5* hotel for brekkie!

I will definitely come back again and recommend this lovely B&B to all my friends.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ccesther
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Confusingly also known as Cheltenham Town House and Apartments, with a separate listing/review, I needed a simple and affordable place to stay in Cheltenham for one night before an early meeting in the city centre. LateRooms.com offered a good selection, but the big chains wanted circa £80 with breakfast extra. I took a punt on The Townhouse, having seen previous positive reviews, and was certainly not disappointed! With ample free parking, comfortable rooms (well, Room 14 certainly was!) a pleasant lounge with Honesty Bar (a surprise, perhaps reflecting the clientèle the establishment attracts), free WiFi throughout, and a really delicious cooked breakfast to set you up for the day, all for £55, I can't honestly think why people would elect to go elsewhere. The management goes out its way to make you feel welcome. If the car park is full, then there is on-street parking (it's in a cul-de-sac, so no passing traffic) and they'll even give you a permit to allow extended stay. All in all, I couldn't fault The Townhouse. Clearly, I can't attest to the space and comfort of the other bedrooms, but I shall endeavour to stay there if I'm in the area again, and I encourage you to give it a try as well. Like me, I hope you will be pleasantly surprised and come to sing it's praises too!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Caterham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2011

We popped to Cheltenham for a quick Christmas shopping break, and found a good deal to stay here.

On arrival the building is very impressive, and nicely lit in the evening gloom to stand out from the surroundings. Once the small car park is full you have to find a space on the road which can take a little driving up and down, but the hotel provide you with a parking permit.

The receptionist was very pleasant and helpful and showed us around, demonstrating the honesty bar and the breakfast area before showing us to our room. We were staying in one of the basement rooms with a window looking up towards pavement level. It was very nicely decorated, and money had been spent in the right places to give a high quality 'touch and feel'.

The hotel was very peaceful at night and we had a good night's sleep. In the morning, breakfast was served in a lovely room and I enjoyed an excellent full english whilst my wife opted for the smoked salmon and scrambled egg. Both were very pleasant and there was plenty of tea coffee and hot chocolate available as well as cereals, yoghurt, fruit and juice.

On checking out the hotel were kind enough to allow us to retain the parking permit for the rest of the day, which meant we did not need to pay for parking whilst we shopped - another little benefit you wouldn't get in a chain.

If visiting Cheltenham again, I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrBen1
Llandysul, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Stayed here for one night to attend a conference. I was very impressed when I arrived at the hotel. The location is good, the public areas are very nice and the staff were helpful. I was happy with my room on the first floor; it was a decent size and nicely decorated with a large bathroom. It was a bit rough around the edges, but nothing unpleasant or unacceptable. My major gripe is that the bed was the hardest I have ever slept in, like lying on a board, but I guess that is down to personal preference. I agree with other reviewers; breakfast is perfectly acceptable but lacking in variety. Some different fruit/pastries would improve it significantly. I would stay here again were it not for the hardness of the bed...but maybe they are softer in other rooms?

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business