“Beware the varying Cancellation Policy”

The Cheltenham Townhouse
Ranked #7 of 69 Cheltenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 July 2008

I would advise any guest thinking of making a reservation to ensure they get the cancellation policy in writing.

My wife and I were due to stay here in December 2007 but due to illness, we were unable to attend. We were told at time of booking that there was a 24 hour cancellation policy. We cancelled our room on a Thursday for Saturday night reservation.

However, the hotel still charged my credit card £90. They then disputed the cancellation policy despite it being listed on the legal section of their website. A letter from the hotel owner (Adam Lillywhite) to my credit card company states they have 48 hour cancellation policy! Totally contradicting their website.

Luckily, my credit card company refunded the amount after I complained, however the hotel however were not prepared to do anything which left the onus on me to take them to court over the dispute.

Be very wary of who you give you credit card details to!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank JTG_06

Reviewed 21 May 2008

This hotel was very homely, the communal living room was like sitting in your own living room at home! Staff were friendly and the breakfast was fab! The hotel has lots of character, with some interestingly placed showers, but this all added to the charm. Good weekend stay hotel!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2008

As soon as i entered The Cheltenham Townhouse hotel i was struck by how friendly it felt.

It is an elegant, light and airy hotel, with a neutral, classic decor.

Our room was very spacious with a king size bed, ample wardrobe/drawer space, two large mirrors, armchair and an integrated flat screen TV/DVD player.

The bathroom was impeccably clean and was well stocked with fluffy white towels and a nice selection of toiletries.

Breakfast was served in a lovely, bright room with soft comtempory music playing in the background. Guests help themselves to cereal, fruit juice, yoghurts and fruit and then various cooked breakfasts are offered including full english and smoked salmon scrambled eggs.
My scrambled eggs were perfectly cooked and totally delicious. The staff in the breakfast room were very polite and friendly.

I really liked the 'home comforts' this hotel offered - baskets of fresh fruit, a library stocked with books and DVD's and the self service 'bar' in the living room.

I would highly recommend this hotel and hope to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2008

Stayed at the Cheltenham TownHouse on a Saturday night. It is very centrally located and well maintained. My room was on the 3rd floor but well appointed, bright and airy. The building itself is a wonderful piece of architecture, one of the nicest and most civilised settings I have experienced for breakfast, silver service the whole way. Great selection of books and DVD's to browse through. Very comfortable front drawing room with honesty bar was also most pleasant. As neccessity would have it, I must return to Cheltenham in 2 weeks time and will definately stay here again. Staff were very friendly and recommended some great places to socialise at night. Keep up the good work :)

George, Rep of Ireland.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 26 March 2008

Separate bathroom, not stated in the hotel website, apparently an edit by the hotel themselves caused the vital words to be left off the end, has now been corrected but too late for us. The staff who checked us in did not offer to change our room and told us "well you did book the cheap room". The bathroom was cold and smelly. The room was rather cramped with very little storage space.

The Eastern European girls who served us breakfast on both mornings were lovely and the food was very nice.

Unfortunately the other hotel staff were mostly absent. I did inform the manager of the smell when we checked out but he later informed me that he had not noticed any smell and neither had his cleaning staff. The bathroom smelled like a cat litter tray. I would have complained earlier if the staff had been around but apart from the young housekeeping staff the only time I saw the staff was on arrival and departure.

I told the staff on arrival I was not happy about the room but no offer was made to change the room, until my departure I was under the impression that the chap who checked us in was the owner.

Stayed: March 2008
AdamTownhouse, Owner at The Cheltenham Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2008

This review is incorrect. I am the owner of this hotel and was on reception between 7.30 a.m and 6.30p.m on the second and third day of this stay, the rest of the time the front desk was covered by a receptionist or nightporters. These guests were certainly not told "well you did book the cheap room" on checking in.
When these guests checked in they did not request a change of room, if fact the only thing that I heard from them in the entire stay was a request to explain the TV remote control and to check how the WiFi worked. These were dealt with immediately.
I heard nothing from them until they checked out with me, the only contention then was that this guests claims to have booked an en-suite room, this was not the case and I checked with the website through which they booked who state that they were made fully aware of the private bathroom at the the point of booking.
I am not aware of any smell in this bathroom, and neither were my staff or any previous occupants.

Reviewed 25 March 2008

We stayed over Easter weekend. Because we booked late we could only get a room in one of the hotel's nearby apartments which was nice but we would have preferred to be in the main hotel. Jayne, the owner, couldn't have been more helpful and following a cancellation was able to juggle things around so we had our second and third nights in room 12 which is a lovely room. The staff are all really friendly and the hotel is only a few minutes walk to the centre of Cheltenham. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2008

Booked through Laterooms, this is well placed for leaving your car in the rear car park and walking some five minutes into Cheltenham centre.
As it's a mile from the racecourse, it's great if you're here for the racing.
The building has been updated and has a boutique look about it, and as it does only bed and breakfast, the range of restaurants in the centre are easily accessible.
I got a large bedroom with a comfortable bed, plasma tv and nice bathroom.
Breakfast was superb, and if you want a drink in the evening, you can get one from the lounge which has an honesty bar.
Only fault was lack of anything other than basic tv stations, although that might have been a fault on my tv.
You get a free evening paper and nice bathroom smellies.
Definitely one to revisit.

Stayed: March 2008