“Genuinely friendly; huge room”

The Cheltenham Townhouse
Ranked #8 of 71 Cheltenham B&B and Inns
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Genuinely friendly; huge room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

Stayed over the long bank holiday weekend, when the hotel was full for the event at the racecourse which I was attending. Because I wanted facilities to cook an evening meal and prepare packed lunches I booked an 'apartment' room, which was no 34. This was a huge studio room, large double bed, two easy chairs and a dining table and chairs, with separate full size kitchen (with jars of ground coffee and tea bags), bathroom and even a utility room with washing machine and tumble dryer. All good except the last - the room is in the basement; only half of this is below ground, but it is enough to create a little bit of a musty smell, and this was particularly true of the utility room.

However, I thought that overall this was a good room; clean, nicely decorated though a few tired bits; certainly not bland ( I had a modernist naked torso sculpture on the mantelpiece...).

Welcome is genuine, it is not '"Welcome to the townhouse, my name is Charlene how can Ielpyu?". If that's what you want, go to a chain with its replicant receptionists. I arrived early, was told the room would be ready in five minutes, was invited into the lounge to read the papers and offered a coffee if I wanted it. As others have said, the lounge is lovely, and I like the honour bar system.

The room was ready in five minutes, I was shown to it, and was offered help with my suitcase. Wifi worked well, read the password carefully though.

Breakfast was very good, obviously genuinely cooked to order as it says. Good scrambled eggs; the ultimate test of a cooked breakfast in my view! I was warned in advance that they were often very busy at the end of the breakfast service; I had no problem because I came down half an hour after breakfast started each day, though allow half an hour in total if you want a cooked breakfast (cooked to order, remember). Agree with a previous reviewer that some croissants would be nice - it's cereal and toast or cooked - and that they have a strange policy of always bringing mixed toast instead of asking which you want.

I agree that it wants to be a boutique hotel, and hasn't quite got there. I think they have the ambition, they certainly have the eye for design and decor, but they obviously don't yet have the money for the expensive changes, particularly structural ones, to a typically faded genteel Cheltenham property. But they've done what they have done very well and stylishly. I would (and will) definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
leamington spa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

We had a top floor room which was lovely and had a lounge area to relax in. Lots of magazines provided to browse through. The town centre is a short walk away (15-20 minutes) which meant that you didn't have to use the car or taxis. The hotel operates an honesy bar which was well stocked. Breakfast was freshly cooked and really tasty.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Bedfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

Have stayed at the Townhouse a few times now and really appreciate the elegance of the rooms and the breakfast of smoked salmon and scrambled eggs (new to me before I stayed, but which I now regularly recreate at home). Though I'll be back for the Literature Festival in October, the most recent stays topped-and-tailed a trip to Wales. The first night I decided to splash out on a luxury room. All was great, though putting two single beds together does not a double make, especially if sleeping on the join (not comfy). The second night was booked only the night before and I expected to find myself in a smaller room. I did, in the basement, but it was every bit as well presented as the first and, I found, more to my taste. Much cheaper too, of course. I guess my advice would be, any room here is a good room; don't feel you have to splash out. Also great for people watching at breakfast (musicians, racegoers). Well done, Townhousers.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

We stayed for a weekend in Room 12 -- a luxury room. This is the room featured on the website with cream/red decor and a bathroom with free-standing bath. It is the most expensive room, but even so it was less than we would have paid at either of the bigger chain hotels in the area, where I have no doubt that the room would not be as good. Our room at the Townhouse was the biggest since we stayed in a club room at a 5* Shangri-La in Malaysia last year! So very much worth the money from our point of view.

It is situated on a quiet cul-de-sac, 10 mins easy walk from Cheltenham town centre. There is lots of on-road parking for which they give you a free permit (although I believe there is also a carpark at the back). It is a beautiful, elegant regency building. Lovely combination of period and modern internal decor. Friendly welcome in a nice little reception area (24 hour reception).

Our room was on the ground floor, a few feet from the dining room but there was no noise at all due to a thoughtful combination of internal doors. The room was enormous -- king size bed, two comfy chairs, a sofa, large coffee table with a range of magazines, desk, tea&coffee, wardrobe, feature fireplace, and an equally enormous bathroom. Absolutely beautifully done. TV with dvd player, and a large selection of dvds to borrow on the shelf outside our room (also lots of books and games to borrow). Very high ceiling and two floor-to-ceiling windows which you could push up to climb out onto a little shared balcony. We felt it was a wonderful combination of old and new -- the old fireplace, old plasterwork on the ceiling .... with new comfy sofa and and modern linens. My only complaint is that the curtains were cream with no black-out lining, and the sun streams straight in - I take a eyemask so not a problem for me, but my husband was woken early on both mornings. It would also have been nice to have some herbal teabags available in the room.

Breakfast was nice -- yoghurt, juice, cereal, fruit, toast - and full english if you wanted it (which my husband says was far better than several 5* places we've stayed in recently).

There is a comfy and elegant lounge area with newspapers and tv, and an honesty bar. Wine well priced (£2.50 a glass, £10 a bottle), spirits a little dear though for a help-yourself (£4 for G&T). But certainly nice to have.

I realise that some of the other rooms are smaller, and perhaps have private rather than en-suite bathroom, but then they are cheaper. If you want the best -- go for the luxury room. If you want something cheaper, go for a standard. The shared facilities (lounge, dining room etc) will be available regardless!

Highly recommended and will be back without doubt.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sal99
Chester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

Guests beware this is a hotel with a lottery of rooms. We booked on the Internet and when we arrived thought we'd found a little gem, that was until we were shown our room. The room itself was ok if a little small with no storage. The real shock was when we were shown the bathroom which is back out the room and across the hall. The hotel argue that it's stll a private bathroom and if you look closely at your booking confirmation the word adjacent is in the small print. Still it's absolutely horrific to have to wander out of your room across a corridor in the middle of the night if you want to use the bathroom. Just a warning but read the small print, and check out all the reviews good and bad. I'm sure there's plenty of good expeiriances with this place but ours wasn't one and I wouldn't return.

• Stayed July 2010
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

Lovely quiet location close to the centre of town. The room was spotless and nicely furnished. Staff were very welcoming and helpful (it's a family-run hotel). Free car park at rear, great home-cooked breakfast, spacious lounge with the Sunday papers, free wireless - what else could you want on a relaxed weekend away? Will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2010

This is a charming hotel with an "Olde World" feel about it. It only offers Bed & Breakfast but the beds are comfortable and the breakfasts enjoyable. The staff are very helpful and friendly and there is an "Honesty" bar for those relaxing evenings. In the beautiful area of Pittville Park, easy to walk in both direction to the park and the town centre so you don't need a car to do shopping. Can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple