“Great little surprise”

The Wilson Cafe
Ranked #259 of 472 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I visited on friday 6th june, Although I enjoyed the new re vamp of the wilson gallery, my actual surprise was the cafe attached to it, a interesting mix bag of well thought out and delisious foods, I had a simple jacket spud with cheese and beans followed by chcolate brownie which was beautiful! A lovely place to sit on the sofas but just needz a bit of love on the walls, I spoke to a girl who was one of the chefs and she pointed out the brownie so thank u for that! All in all a nice little surprise

Reviewed 25 May 2014

The cafe has had some mixed reviews, but we thoroughly recommend it. J had the sausage nap and I had the sweetcorn fritters, which a previous reviewer quite rightly enjoyed - they were light layers of fritter with wilted spinach, served with roasted tomatoes and a tomato salsa. Delicious.
What we were really pleased with is was the quality of the wine. James had the Merlot and I had whatever White was open .... Large glasses and very good. Total bill a smidge over £15. Quality and good value.

1  Thank Katherine C
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Really nice food, freshly cooked. Excellent service. I can recommend the sweet corn fritters and the lemon drizzle cake. Seating is a bit utility but overall a nice cafe. Lovely cup of tea too. It does get really busy but that only proves it's popularity and good food on a constant basis. This is my second visit, and I will be returning.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Great little cafe attached to a most interesting art gallery and museum. The cafe is split over 2 levels and I think that they have more tables than the staff can cope with at busy times. The coffee is excellent and they do a special deal of coffee and "premises-made" cakes for £3.25.

1  Thank PhilofBeestom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We popped in to check out the refurbished Gallery over the Christmas break, we decided to grab some lunch first in the cafe!

It was about 2.30pm and about half of the tables had people seated at them, firstly we had to clear the cutlery off a table in order to sit down, the empty tables all had dirty plates and leftovers on them so we had to actually go up to the kitchen to clear the table!

We sat down, couldn't find a menu but after some looking on other tables we found a dirty, stained piece of paper with the menu printed on it. After a quick read we decided and one of my party went up to queue to order. There were about four people in the queue, the first had her order taken but then the girl behind the till went into the kitchen, we saw her then taking food to a table, then she disappeared back in the kitchen only to then come out and go upstairs with a cloth to clear tables?! During this time no one was taking orders so my friend was just in a completely stationary queue. There was a girl cleaning cutlery just behind the till but firmly kept her back to the rest of the room. Everyone (only about five people) in the queue was getting irate, the woman at the front said she had been stood there 10 minutes (when we arrived she was in the queue!).

We decided to leave the shambles of a 'cafe', god knows how long we would have wasted, by the looks of it the food was taking just as long as the queue to order!

AVOID this place at all costs, please please go to any other cafe near by, this place needs to get sorted out as it's a shambles.

3  Thank rachelpips
sophiewilcock, Manager at The Wilson Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear TeeTeeWhy,

I'm so sorry to hear you did not enjoy your visit to the Wilson Cafe during the Christmas period. Please be assured that all your comments have been taken on board and are being addressed. As a new business we are always looking for ways to improve our service and offer and appreciate all feedback. If you'd care to get in touch with the cafe on 01242 257441 or by emailing us at cafe@thewilson.org.uk we'd love to offer you a complimentary meal on the house as you did not get the chance to sample our food previously.

Once again I'd like to offer my sincere apologies on behalf of the cafe.

Kind regards,

Sophie Wilcock (The Wilson Cafe Manager)