“WHY ONLY A WILSON CUPBOARD!”

The Wilson, Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museum
Ranked #6 of 60 things to do in Cheltenham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Four new floors house extensive galleries for temporary exhibitions - for international / national touring shows, special highlights from our collections and fun shows for families - space to discover local heroes and archive collections, including the great Edward Wilson (one of Scott's key men on his 1912 expedition to Antarctica), and a new gallery space in which the internationally renowned Arts & Crafts collection will be shown.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“WHY ONLY A WILSON CUPBOARD!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I spent an excellent few hours in this museum on a wet day, there are just loads of extremely interesting exhibits. Seeing one of Rodin's The Kiss was a real treat and I'd not been expecting it.

My only criticism is that, being called 'The Wilson' after one of Cheltenham's most famous sons, why oh why is there only a broom cupboard sized room offered to display his history? There was some more information in the Paper Room, but you'll have to hunt for this detail. But don't let this put you off, it's well worth a visit.

Visited August 2014
Cheltenham T, Guest Relations Manager at The Wilson, Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museum, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for your comments. Your feedback about the Edward Wilson exhibit in the museum will be passed on to our collections team.

West Midlands, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“the kiss”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We called by to see the kiss, it was lovely and the kiss is in a lovely museum, we did look at some other exhibits, but the kiss was what I had gone to see.

Visited August 2014
Thank you for these positive comments. We’re really happy to hear that you enjoyed viewing The Kiss whilst it is at The Wilson.
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Meet Rex such a disappointment rating based ONLY on this exhibit!!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Took my 3 year old dinosaur expert to see the exhibition and was very excited. The Wilson appears a lovely clean museum (I have never been before) I understand it has recently reopened after a refurbishment and I can only comment on the meet Rex exhibit but was shocked that this was the only exhibit you had to pay for and I felt you didn't get your monies worth. It consisted of 4 small rooms of artefacts/dinosaur figures/skeletons/interactive games and just when I expected more that was it we had seen everything. What was there was really good, well presented and educational it was just not enough. Granted I went with a 3 year old so a lot of the things were too old for him, but I still feel older kids would be disappointed ,even adults as I had a go on everything there and just wanted more. Really want to score higher but can't sorry.

2 Thank Rachael K
Thank you for your comment. We’re pleased you liked the new building, but sad to hear you were disappointed by the dinosaur exhibition. We feel the exhibition has a broad appeal with something for everyone (plenty of adults have really enjoyed playing with the interactive elements of the exhibition!). In order to extend visits and help children feel involved throughout The Wilson, we are also offering a free children’s trail through the museum’s permanent collection, and craft activities in the Foyle Learning Centre.
hong kong
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“An old favourite that just got better”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have a few 'little' favourite museums that I love to revisit when I get the chance. This museum has been closed over the last few years but I went to it when I was recently back in Cheltenham and was so impressed with what has been done. Lots of clear signage, a fantastic cafe on the ground floor and toilets (always important) on every floor. My favourite collection of Arts and Craft movement furniture was still there and looking great but I particularly loved the new Paper Room, which told you who Mr. Wilson (of the Gallery's name) was - I cannot believe and am so ashamed that I did not know of him before - and had lots of pull-out drawers related to his life and work (of particular interest, his time with Scott in the Antarctic) and of the history of Cheltenham. This is a wonderful museum and it was so obvious that whoever was involved in its renovation, really loved what they were doing. If you love visiting galleries and museums which have little surprises all over the place for you, do not miss this.

Visited July 2014
Thank you for your really positive comment – we’re delighted that you enjoyed your visit so much. We’re also pleased that you were able to find out a bit more about Edward Wilson and his importance to Cheltenham. The Paper Store is a wonderful resource and we’re happy you spent time enjoying the displays shown there.
Gloucestershire
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Engaging and enjoyable!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We all excitedly followed the dinosaur footprints throughout central town which stirred great excitement. The exhibition felt intimate and well thought out. All three of my children were drawn in by the activities and visual stimulation( 3,6,7). The staff were very helpful fetching a footstool so my youngest to reach the touch screen dinosaur jigsaw puzzle. I did however run out of steam for the dinosaur hunt ......but the children loved this too! Highly recommend the restaurant great example of local food, delicious!

Visited August 2014
Thank you for this fantastic feedback! We’re really pleased you liked the footprints – they were great fun to put in place and we’re glad you could all join in with them. We’re also really happy you made so much of what’s on offer both within the Meet Rex exhibition and around the museum. We’ll pass your comments on to the café team. Thanks again.