“Another Premier Inn hit” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Premier Inn Cheltenham Central (West/A40) Hotel

Premier Inn Cheltenham Central (West/A40) Hotel
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Another Premier Inn hit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

Stayed here for one night during the Literature Festival. I like Premier Inns as you generally know what to expect, but the rooms here were particularly spotless. I wish I could get my bathroom taps to sparkle like that! I had read several reviews before booking here so we were prepared for a lot of train noise but it wasn't a problem. We didn't have breakfast as most reviews weren't complimentary and we didn't really fancy the idea TGIF for breakfast so we wandered into town. Excellent value.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RNewman_12, Manager at Premier Inn Cheltenham Central (West/A40) Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you very much for your positive review. Our housekeeping team work extremely hard to ensure our rooms are to a high standard and they will be thrilled to hear your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay while here for the Literature Festival and hope to welcome you back again soon.
Cheltenham Central Premier Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

My friend and I stayed for 2 nights for the Festival. Great Hotel, warm friendly staff. Dinner good at TGI's but too noisy. Our room was excellent, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The only negative is the distance to Town - it's about 2 miles which is quite a way when you are walking.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RNewman_12, Manager at Premier Inn Cheltenham Central (West/A40) Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Thank you very much for your extremely positive review. Our reception and housekeeping team will be pleased to receive your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

I booked this hotel, which is a good mile and a half from the town centre, for an overnight stay during the Cheltenham Literature Festival. Having read other reviews, I was most wary of their being train noise as the line runs right behind the motel - although my own home backs on to quite a busy railway line, so I am somewhat used to it. For those unused to any noise from outside, I can see how a rumble every ten or fifteen minutes might disturb their sleep - for me, it was barely audible with the windows shut.

What was audible however were other guests. I understand this is a perennial problem, even in the best hotels, so they can't really be marked down for this, but the pacing around of those in the room above was the most distracting noise for me. Oh, that and the bathroom fan which, though off when the light was off, seemed to be either picking up movement from fans in other rooms, or was just prone to gurgling annoyingly to itself. Closing the bathroom door helped immensely.

So what of the good points? Well, it's a freshly modernised, upscale motel, in a cookie-cutter mould. No doubt the mauve colours were picked to enhance relaxation, and they certainly work for me. This is the first Premier Inn I have visited and my impression was very favourable. The large flatscreen TV felt very luxurious, although in the room I was in had been placed in an odd, off-centre position, which seemed like a design mistake.

The bed was comfortable - if you like your mattresses good and firm, you'll be delighted. The duvet had a softish cotton cover which felt like it had a decent thread count. Similarly the sheets. The pillows, however, were disappointing. The chain appears to be selling itself as having a "choice of pillows". The choice appears to be soft or medium support hollowfibre. My choice would be feather pillows. I normally bring my own. This time I forgot, to my chagrin.

The bathroom was functional, spotless and 'modern' enough. Everything looked and felt like it was less than a year old and not necessarily the cheapest in the showroom. For £60 a night, I felt like I was getting a respectable amount of comfort without too many trimmings.

As I said at the start, it's a long way from town. I like to walk, so it was fine for me. Usefully, the car park is free and I was able to leave my car there all day, despite not being booked in for the following night. I could imagine, therefore, that you could easily 'park and ride' if you didn't fancy a half-hour walk.

Overall, as motels go, it wasn't dirt cheap, but it was very good value, particularly if you're visiting in peak 'festival' times.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank playboyrichard
Thank you very much for your positive review. We are really pleased that your stay with us was a good one while you visited for the Literature Festival and that you received the excellent service that we are committed to giving all our guests. All feedback is greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

We are happy with the stay, only problem we faced was it took us a long time to locate it. Gloucester Road is a very long stretch and with just the zip code, my GPS failed to locate it. There was no unit number listed on the website nor on the confirmation email. You imagine been a tourist first time there was lost at 9pm and could not google any unit number and on board 2 yound children. Luckily we could contact the reception and got the direction there. When I spoke to the reception at check-in, it sounded like a common issue. I would suggest this be highlighted in the confirmation email.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Cheltenham Central Premier Inn. I apologise that you had problems finding the hotel. Our address is listed as 374 Gloucester Road on the Premier Inn website but I will have to look into getting this put on the confirmation emails. Thank you for leaving your feedback and bringing this to my attention. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

I stayed for a couple of nights with a friend. We were on a shopping trip to Cheltenham. We didn't bother with breakfast but enjoyed cocktails and dinner in TGI's. We felt that the cleanliness of the room and helpfullness of the staff made our stay most pleasant.
We arrived by train and found it an easy walk from Cheltenham Spa station even in the rain. Bus stop just along the road straight into town and back again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the front and didn't hear the railway line at all
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your extremely positive review. We are really pleased that your stay with us was a great one and that you received the excellent service that we are committed to giving all our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another shopping trip!
Birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

Breakfast is at the nearby TGI Fridays. It was burnt, dried or things missing. Portion size was the smallest they hoped to get away with.
* There were seven of us they managed to deliver six breakfasts.
* Four out of the six had ordered items missing.
* Scrambled eggs were rubbery
* Poached eggs were size of minute (well cooked though - still runny)
* Hot water kept running out
* Not enough cups/ mugs
* No place for used teabags
* You get one hash (very) brown, half rasher of bacon one sausage, beans that have been on the plate for ages and dried
* Grilled tomato (one) was nice

All together the worst breakfast I have ever had - find a McDonalds.

Hotel was usual reliable Premier Inn standard, good TV too.

Room Tip: Didn't experience any problems with TGIs clientele on the night, bu didn't get back until 1a...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I’m glad you found the hotel to be of the usual Premier Inn standard. Your feedback regarding breakfast will be passed on to the TGI Fridays Manager and we will work together to resolve the issues you raised. May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to leave your review and if there is anything we can do for you in the future please do not hesitate to contact us.
Mousehole, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

I regularly use Premier Inns for both social and business and never have complaint. However this time (my 2nd visit to this hotel) there was a problem with the floor in Room 50. It was reported and was given my money back - although the customer service helpine number took 7 days to reply to me (with help of the hotel manager) so I dont rate Premier Customer service at the moment.
During the evening we had a table booked for 10 - meals were served up late and cold, long waits between courses etc... Adam the waiter - was brilliant - it wasnt his fault however the restaurant was not busy and the staff were not organised. dont normally gripe but room 50 has a structural problem which the staff did not believe me about and think I had lost the plot. Barr 6 of my colleagues also experiencing the problem , I am 100% sane! would have been nice to have been believed by the management.

Room Tip: the railway line did not bother me but if you want a quiet room as for one not facing the railway li...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I can assure you the issues you raised with regards to the flooring were taken seriously and investigated. Our structural engineers checked the room and the building and no issues were found. With regards to the process for cash refunds, this has now been changed following your feedback to ensure guests get a quicker response from our guest relations team. Following your comments regarding your dinner experience at TGI Fridays I have passed these on to their management team to implement changes. I apologise for the inconvenience and disappointment caused and I hope this does not deter you from choosing Premier Inn again.