“Disappointing Stay!”

Premier Inn Cheltenham Central (West/A40) Hotel
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 31 October 2012

My husband and I usually book with Premier when looking for short breaks, for the consistency and quality usually experienced, however on this occasion we feel very disappointed. Reception staff were miserable, no smiles and very 'mechanical' about the information they gave us. The room was tidy and up to standard on first impressions, no complaints here. The room was cold and we turned up the heating, however this made little difference to the temperature. We both had nice hot showers, and then we discovered the pillows were too soft and we would need more. It was then that we realised the room didn't have a telephone on which to contact reception! Not only that, but wasn't even a direct number to call them on from our mobiles, so we had to dress and go to reception, most inconvenient. This happened a further time when we discovered there was only one tea bag in the room. When it was bedtime, we got into bed to discover the bed was broken. Again we had to get dressed and go to reception to report it, by now this relaxing break was turning into a stress filled one. We were given the keys to a different room, and packed up our things and moved, shortly afterwards a letter was pushed under our door informing us that we had been refunded the price of our room, under the 'goodnight guarantee' so this softened the blow a little and restored our faith somewhat. Next morning we decided to visit the restaurant for breakfast, absolute shambles! We waited over 5 minutes to be seated, were not given a menu from which to order the cooked food from and then after a further 5 minutes later a waitress came to take our order. We explained we hadn't seen the menu and she apologised and went off to find one. In the meantime we went to get our drinks, no cups, no juice, no tea and no coffee, no one to ask for any either. In the end we left without breakfast and went to reception to complain. A few hours later I had a call from a manager of some description, who was more interested in giving excuses as to why, rather than apologies. 'A staff member was off sick', 'the hotel was quite full', 'not many people booked breakfast and just turned up'. To be frank none of these are my problem, and the call would have been better placed if she had been a little less full of excuses. We definitely will not be using this particular Premier Inn again, and will be more wary in future as to whether to use Premier Inn, rather than just booking without a second thought, thinking the brand is consistent, like we used to!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Premier Inn Cheltenham Central (West/A40) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

Thank you for your review.

At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants.

We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by Customer Services and the Management Team at this hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Naina
Social Media Team,

Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

This was our 3rd stay at this Premier Inn (Friday 26th October) and paid £34 for the room, good price. (reviewed the 1st one last year, never got round to reviewing our 2nd one in April this year, but was very satisfactory). Again, as with the other 2 stays, we were very pleased with our room, which was refurbished with a nice big flat screen TV. Bedroom and Bathroom were both spotless, crispy white sheets and big fluffy white towels. We arrived at the Hotel at 11.30am, too early to check in to the room, but we requested a room on the front on the top floor and when we came back from our day in the Town Centre to check in properly, thats what we got! Very pleased.
Its not really "Central", about a half an hour walk into the town, but pleasant if the weather is dry. There is a Bus Stop a 5min walk from the Hotel with Buses running about every 10mins into the Town. Cheltenham is lovely with lots of nice quirky shops and a decent choice of pubs and restaurants.
We didnt eat in TGI Friday's next door to Premier, reviews on here are not good and think it looks overpriced for what you get.
Will definatately stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the car park and top floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
RNewman_12, Manager at Premier Inn Cheltenham Central (West/A40) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Its great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us again, here at Cheltenham Central. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

Very disappointing all round. Have stayed at Premier Inns several times and always found the accommodation and service excellent. Reception here was very indifferent when my wife and I tried to book in early as we were passing on way to town centre. Room was satisfactory, but not tidied after first night. Bathroom similarly left uncleaned, and towels not replaced. I appreciate that hotel policy is to save on laundry, but with no drying rail, using wet towels is not really an option.

Innumerable cigarette butts outside reception area give a poor impressionon arrival.

If this was our first stay in a Premier Inn, doubtful if we would want to repeat the experience.

Had two good dinners at TGI Fridays, and OK for breakfast on first morning, but a complete shambles on our second morning when we were keen to get away. Everything was late, and having paid in advance for two continental breakfasts, had to leave having had little more than a piece of toast and a mug of indifferent coffee.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Premier Inn Cheltenham Central (West/A40) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear about your experience at our Restaurant.

I have logged your complaint with the Restaurant. We will look into this issues raised and get back to you.

I want to assure you that all reviews good or bad are taken very seriously and are fully investigated.

Please allow 48hrs and someone will subsequently be in touch with you.

Naina
Social Media Team,

Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

I stayed here for one night and it was awful. The noise from the train line which was right outside the room disturbed me throughout the night. And the breakfast the following morning was possibly the worst I have experienced. The sausages were mainly cereal based despite being advertised as pork, the bacon was that tough and dry that it was difficult to cut and the fried slice I requested was literally dripping with fat.
As for the hotel customer service, I e-mailed them to find out about their 'Good Night Guarantee' and was fobbed of with another e-mail address from which I never received a response, so even that so called guarantee is dubious.

All in all, not a hotel I would suggest anyone stays at. Certainly not at the price they charge. Even at half the current price I would be hard pressed to recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. The sister hotel at Cheltenham West is far better.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
RNewman_12, Manager at Premier Inn Cheltenham Central (West/A40) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review regarding your recent experience with us. We try to ensure all guests are aware of our location being close to a railway line, and this information is on our web page for Cheltenham Central Premier Inn. All windows on the railway side of the hotel are triple glazed to minimise noise. Quieter rooms can be requested by calling the hotel prior to your arrival, however guaranteeing these is not always possible.
I apologise for the disappointment caused at breakfast and I will pass on your comments to the manager at TGI Fridays, so the issues can be addressed.
I am unsure of what email address you used to contact us or why you were given a different one. We have 24-hour reception to ensure a team member is on hand if there are any problems during your stay. I am hoping I can get further information from you so I can fully investigate this.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 20 October 2012

Stayed for one night during Literature Festival. On site parking. Rooms clean, facilities good. Staff very welcoming and helpful. Although some reviews mention noise from the train-line I must admit we didn't really notice it. Only negative was the breakfast at TGIs - would strongly advise looking for an alternative.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your review. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy their stay and your feedback is very much appreciated. I apologise that breakfast at TGI Fridays was not up to the usual Premier Inn standard. We are working together to ensure all guests get the great service that Premier Inn promotes and I am sorry on this occasion we let you down. I hope this does not deter you from choosing to stay with us again.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 16 October 2012

Brilliant and friendly staff, big tidy comfy room, huge HD tv, massive bed, plenty of workspace, all for £64. Brilliant value. As Im finding with pretty much every Premier Inn, the staff are first class and nothing it too much trouble.

Word of warning to anyone staying here, avoid the adjacent TGI Fridays, its terrible.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room at the rear of the hotel right next to a train track, but they have extra windows...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your extremely positive review. We are really pleased that your stay with us was a great one. All of the team are committed to ensuring our guests enjoy their stay and we are delighted with the comments you have shared. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Stayed here for one night during the Literature Festival. I like Premier Inns as you generally know what to expect, but the rooms here were particularly spotless. I wish I could get my bathroom taps to sparkle like that! I had read several reviews before booking here so we were prepared for a lot of train noise but it wasn't a problem. We didn't have breakfast as most reviews weren't complimentary and we didn't really fancy the idea TGIF for breakfast so we wandered into town. Excellent value.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your positive review. Our housekeeping team work extremely hard to ensure our rooms are to a high standard and they will be thrilled to hear your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay while here for the Literature Festival and hope to welcome you back again soon.