“Warm and friendly”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Warm and friendly”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Good location within walking distance to town centre, good sized comfortable room clean decor could be updated (refurbishment on first floor during our stay) we were on the second floor. This is an excellent building and when the refurbishment is complete will be hard to beat. Dining room very impressive and all staff were very friendly and helpful. Food selection was limited however standard was excellent. Good selection at breakfast made a good start to the day. Three night business stay in a relaxed comfortable environment thanks to all staff.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I felt the need to write the review as did a previous guest because of a negative review I had read. We stayed at the Cotswold Grange for 2 nights this weekend. I found the hotel very clean and the food was great, although not a vast menu to choose from but none the less what we had was piping hot and the steak was cooked to perfection. The stafff were attentive and polite in an in obtrusive way and when I left my soup ( simply because it wasn't to my taste) they couldn't have been more worried that I hadn't liked it even offering a alternative dish on the house.It is a quiet hotel which I think suits couples and is only a 10-15 steady walk from the town centre so we didn't even use our car. I would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Udaipur, Rajasthan, India
Reviewed 23 November 2012

we have stayed here (Four people) lovely stay, perfect location, warm and friendly staff, as we need Indian food they handed over the Kitchen to us for making Indian food for our self (After 9pm there when there regular dinner time is over) what an arrangement ... not happen elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Nottingham
Reviewed 11 November 2012

This is the first review I have ever written and was moved to do this by the negative post I have seen about this hotel which is totally misleading. We have just returned from a grea nights stay at the Cotswold Grange Hotel and I thought I would give everyone an honest review.

I was looking to book a hotel that was in great location, in a lovely building with character and for a reasonable price, was clean and gave us a place to sleep, and ideally where we could get dinner, bed and breakfast. This hotel delivered on them all and massively over delivered on the food- which was a great surprise.

First impressions when you walk in is a hotel that is clearly old and has been getting refurbished room by room and to a good standard, the bar area is really nice and new, we enjoyed a drink before dinner in there but you could easily sit and read the paper (all provided) and have a quiet coffee. The reception area is dated and the reception hallway is dated but hey it is a small English hotel in Cheltenham - if you expect the savoy hotel get your wallet out and go there. But the area is clean and tidy and the welcome was warm. We stayed in a recently refurbished room which had been done to a good standard, was very clean and all linen obviously professionally taken care of and modern the bed was very comfortable and the room was nicely and tastefully decorated. the bathroom in our room was clean but had obviously not been refurbished, it was very dated but clean and did the job.

The stairs and hallway carpets are old and dated and it doesn't give the best impression but you would have to be pretty picky to mark the hotel down too much on this, but the owners are clearly on a project to do this place up and you can see when this is down it will be a great hotel.

Now the star of the show that truly made our stay and would definitely make me go back and massively recommend this hotel is the food, when I popped my head into the dining room when we checked in it looked a little dated so I honestly wasn't expecting the food we had but trust me it was great. The menu was varied and I think you would struggle to get a better meal in the town, people should and I'm sure will just come to the hotel to eat in the future. Now I love my food and eat at some very good restaurants. If you are looking for a dinner bed and breakfast deal book this hotel! The breakfast was equally as strong, the full English was fresh and the ingredients obviously well bought. Not a mess on a plate like one of those cafes!! Very professionally done and lovely.

All is all a great stay, thanks for having us and thank you for a great meal and a lovely nights sleep. We will be back when we come to Cheltenham again

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James L
East Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I stayed here for three nights with a group of friends and we had a lovely stay. The hotel is perfectly situated for the racecourse and also the town centre, being just over a mile to each and easy walking. The rooms may not be overly modern and certainly not corporate-looking (not necessarily a bad thing!) but everything was clean, bed comfortable, crisp linen and a hot shower. Breakfast was very good and no complaints about the service, whether at breakfast or at reception. Would be quite happy to stay here again for another trip to Cheltenham.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
napoli Italia
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I stayed at Cotswold Grange for 21nights in Oct 2012.The room was very cosy and comfortable with a big bay window ,a tv,a complimentary tea coffee set.The room was clean and the ensuite looked new.Continental and English breakfast with a good varietyof options was delicious.The proprietors were friendly and so kind that cooked special food for us sometimes.During my stay I can say that it was like being at home,because you breathe this atmosphere.Thank you Dhruty and Nirov.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Amsterdam
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Two friends and I booked this hotel after hours of scouring the internet based on (a) its website (b) price range and (c) location.

Sad to say, the hotel exterior is the only thing not lied about on the website (although it doesn't have any grounds). Old carpet on the stairs, old smells (felt like an old people's home) and cool reception. We were shafted to Room 11 - third floor, which looked like it had last been decorated in the 1950's. Felt dirty, dusty (I have dust allergies so immediately started coughing), and was definitely not suitable for one adult let alone three. the "double" bed was tiny, and the two other "beds" (for children) were stuffed away in the tiniest alcove (smaller than a standard closet) - great if you like sleeping in a coffin.

Bathroom was a shambles - dirty, frayed shower curtain, browning showerhead which, when placed in a green tiled bathroom, made this feel like a place only Shrek would be happy in.

As we'd arrived so late (after 10pm) and for the Cheltenham festival, most other hotels were booked. I ended up sleeping on a mattress on the floor (refused to use the duvets as they were open-ended (apparently it'll be too much to ask for buttons on the covers) and looked dirty, whilst my two friends tried to sleep on the bed without falling off.

Breakfast was a joke - one slice of a giant mushroom does not a "mushroom portion" make! Having not slept, not eaten properly and feeling as if our trip had been ruined, we checked out of the hotel immediately (so instead of two nights, stayed the one). The owner was unbelievably ungracious (not a word of apology) and even told us that it was not her job to make us happy! Desperate to be paid for a second night, she then "offered" us the option of going to live with the previous owners across the road for a night - something she said they did all the time!

This is ILLEGAL! I will be writing a letter of complaint to the AA Qualities Board about our experiences and to find out how and why it received 4 stars Guest Accommodation award. (Only logical answer is based on the rumours that the first floor rooms are great).

Would never recommended this place to anyone - unless I sincerely hated them (and even then I'd feel so guilty I wouldn't be able to do it).

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Onjali R
Nirav_Proprietor, Manager at Cotswold Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
This review really has no place in a forum for healthy feedback and debate – the tone is vindictive and the comments made are defamatory – it is unfortunate that Tripadvisor accepts such comments to be posted.

We will however respond with our side of the story.

The reviewer telephoned us to ask about the possibility of using a family room for three adults. We do not market triple rooms (there is no listing for this room type in any of our marketing) – however in certain circumstances (i.e. people travelling on a tighter budget) we do allow three adults to use a family room as long as they understand the limitations. We clearly explained that the room contains one double bed and two smaller single beds more suited to children. The reviewer was happy to go ahead with the booking after we had explained this to them.

After arrival the reviewer informed us that the family room booked was not actually suitable for them and that they would like another room. We were full on the weekend and could not offer any alternative at the Hotel – however the next morning we did try and help them by seeking out alternative accommodation. A large room in a guesthouse opposite the Hotel was found and offered but declined (without looking) by the reviewer.

Language used by the reviewer such as ‘felt dirty’ or ‘looked dirty’ expose the comments made about poor cleanliness as lacking any credibility. We take great pride in the cleanliness of our Hotel and have many positive guest comments regarding this aspect.

Our bed linen / duvets are supplied and laundered by a very good local company who also supply some top-end hotels in Cheltenham. Duvet covers come without buttons for durability as they need to be for hotel environments – the end of the duvet is just folded back so the duvet is not presented as ‘open-ended’ – we don’t really understand the reasoning of the reviewer that they ‘refused to use the duvets as they were open-ended’

The comment made by the reviewer regarding ‘mushroom portion’ is imbecilic – if they really wanted another ‘giant’ mushroom all they needed to do was ask.

The comment about being ‘desperate to be paid for a second night’ is also somewhat absurd since we’d offered an option to stay in another independent establishment and furthermore we didn’t charge for the cancelled second night even though we were perfectly entitled to do so.

The reviewer then makes a comment about not receiving an apology – what exactly was the apology meant to be for? – What exactly had we done wrong? – After all the reviewer choose to take up the family room after we had communicated the limitations – we certainly didn’t have to sell the room to them as we could have easily sold the room to any number of interested parties that weekend due to high demand.

We have been quality assured by the AA for many years and have an excellent merit score (the degree with which we comply) – we’re sure the AA will be happy to educate the reviewer when they get in touch.