“Basic, but with more character than other generic travel hotels.”

Cotswold Grange Hotel
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Leeds, UK
“Basic, but with more character than other generic travel hotels.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

I deliberated between staying here and some of the other generic chain travel hotels, as I was only staying for one night. In the end I was glad I made my choice to stay here.

The place was clean, tidy, staff friendly, breakfast was good. Free wifi, all mod cons. Comfortable bed, TV, tea making facilities. Decor was a little 70's in places but It added charm and character to the place.

I'd recommend staying here above the other hotels in this price bracket.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Diabl0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

Good location within walking distance to town centre, good sized comfortable room clean decor could be updated (refurbishment on first floor during our stay) we were on the second floor. This is an excellent building and when the refurbishment is complete will be hard to beat. Dining room very impressive and all staff were very friendly and helpful. Food selection was limited however standard was excellent. Good selection at breakfast made a good start to the day. Three night business stay in a relaxed comfortable environment thanks to all staff.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

I felt the need to write the review as did a previous guest because of a negative review I had read. We stayed at the Cotswold Grange for 2 nights this weekend. I found the hotel very clean and the food was great, although not a vast menu to choose from but none the less what we had was piping hot and the steak was cooked to perfection. The stafff were attentive and polite in an in obtrusive way and when I left my soup ( simply because it wasn't to my taste) they couldn't have been more worried that I hadn't liked it even offering a alternative dish on the house.It is a quiet hotel which I think suits couples and is only a 10-15 steady walk from the town centre so we didn't even use our car. I would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Udaipur, Rajasthan, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

we have stayed here (Four people) lovely stay, perfect location, warm and friendly staff, as we need Indian food they handed over the Kitchen to us for making Indian food for our self (After 9pm there when there regular dinner time is over) what an arrangement ... not happen elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

This is the first review I have ever written and was moved to do this by the negative post I have seen about this hotel which is totally misleading. We have just returned from a grea nights stay at the Cotswold Grange Hotel and I thought I would give everyone an honest review.

I was looking to book a hotel that was in great location, in a lovely building with character and for a reasonable price, was clean and gave us a place to sleep, and ideally where we could get dinner, bed and breakfast. This hotel delivered on them all and massively over delivered on the food- which was a great surprise.

First impressions when you walk in is a hotel that is clearly old and has been getting refurbished room by room and to a good standard, the bar area is really nice and new, we enjoyed a drink before dinner in there but you could easily sit and read the paper (all provided) and have a quiet coffee. The reception area is dated and the reception hallway is dated but hey it is a small English hotel in Cheltenham - if you expect the savoy hotel get your wallet out and go there. But the area is clean and tidy and the welcome was warm. We stayed in a recently refurbished room which had been done to a good standard, was very clean and all linen obviously professionally taken care of and modern the bed was very comfortable and the room was nicely and tastefully decorated. the bathroom in our room was clean but had obviously not been refurbished, it was very dated but clean and did the job.

The stairs and hallway carpets are old and dated and it doesn't give the best impression but you would have to be pretty picky to mark the hotel down too much on this, but the owners are clearly on a project to do this place up and you can see when this is down it will be a great hotel.

Now the star of the show that truly made our stay and would definitely make me go back and massively recommend this hotel is the food, when I popped my head into the dining room when we checked in it looked a little dated so I honestly wasn't expecting the food we had but trust me it was great. The menu was varied and I think you would struggle to get a better meal in the town, people should and I'm sure will just come to the hotel to eat in the future. Now I love my food and eat at some very good restaurants. If you are looking for a dinner bed and breakfast deal book this hotel! The breakfast was equally as strong, the full English was fresh and the ingredients obviously well bought. Not a mess on a plate like one of those cafes!! Very professionally done and lovely.

All is all a great stay, thanks for having us and thank you for a great meal and a lovely nights sleep. We will be back when we come to Cheltenham again

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James L
East Sussex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

I stayed here for three nights with a group of friends and we had a lovely stay. The hotel is perfectly situated for the racecourse and also the town centre, being just over a mile to each and easy walking. The rooms may not be overly modern and certainly not corporate-looking (not necessarily a bad thing!) but everything was clean, bed comfortable, crisp linen and a hot shower. Breakfast was very good and no complaints about the service, whether at breakfast or at reception. Would be quite happy to stay here again for another trip to Cheltenham.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
napoli Italia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

I stayed at Cotswold Grange for 21nights in Oct 2012.The room was very cosy and comfortable with a big bay window ,a tv,a complimentary tea coffee set.The room was clean and the ensuite looked new.Continental and English breakfast with a good varietyof options was delicious.The proprietors were friendly and so kind that cooked special food for us sometimes.During my stay I can say that it was like being at home,because you breathe this atmosphere.Thank you Dhruty and Nirov.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business