“Lovely”

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

When we stayed the hotel was having work done which they alerted us to and stated we could cancel. The room was lovely and spacious with a very comfortable bed and nice bathroom (with a bath always a bonus!) The breakfast was divine with many options and the staff were very helpful. We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

On arrival, I thoough 'what a lovely building' - elegant, characterful, smart and in a quiet, upmarket part of town. I should have stayed outside looking at the building....

There was no-one at reception on arrival. The manageress then could not find my booking.

The staircase was in the middle of being decorated, with wallpaper in the middle of being peeled off and well-worn carpet and battered doors.

The room looked to be a reasonable size, but then I realised it was because the bed was so small. I'm 6ft, and my feet were hanging over the edge.

The room was freezing and I eventually managed to get the radiator turned on, after realising the knob was loose and my turning it wasn't making any difference.

The bathroom was in a 1970s avacado style. It was clean, but very dated.

The bar was closed.

Overall, a pretty glum experience. If you get a discount deeal of , say, £50 a room it is worth a shot compared to staying in a Travelodge. I would hope that after a renovation it can command a more premium rate.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
CGH_MGMT, Owner at Cotswold Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Thanks for your review.

The improvements made at Cotswold Grange in January were substantial (complete redecoration of both staircases) and unfortunately the work took longer to complete than originally thought – sorry for any inconvenience caused to you.

We’re sorry other aspects of your stay were unsatisfactory – it is unfortunate that you did not communicate anything to us during your stay as many of the issues could have been resolved.

We do hope to see you back at Cotswold Grange – the refurbishment to the stairs is complete and looking great – we’re sure you would approve.
Retford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

I have just had a two night stay at this hotel, and would recommend it to other people. The room was comfortable, but the bathroom was very dated in appearance.
Breakfast was very good with a wide choice of items. Also, I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed on Saturday night on a Travelzoo deal.
Lovely building retaining lots of original features, although our room 29 was in a newer addition to the house and was very modern,clean, warm and comfortable perfect for 1 night. As said before the shower is wet room style making the rest of the bathroom wet after use, but this is easily mopped up with the bath mat!
We enjoyed a 3 course meal in the dining room with glass of wine included, it was quiet but the food was delicious.
Breakfast was help yourself to cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts juice etc, hot food cooked to order, very nice.
Some areas in the hotel look unloved, but it looks as if this may be a work in progress!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jane53England
Holly_CGH, Manager at Cotswold Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
I am very pleased to read your wonderful review of your short break with us at Cotswold Grange Hotel in Cheltenham and would like to personally thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel.

We take great pride in our service at Cotswold Grange Hotel and I am glad that you felt right at home during your stay. We make every effort to maintain high standards of timely and quality service - we are delighted that we were successful in achieving this during your stay.

Thank you for recommending our unique and individual hotel - I look forward to welcoming you back to Cotswold Grange Hotel.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

This hotel looked good from what we saw on the internet. I found the reception area somewhat drab no flowers, and few decorations or pictures - very plain for a period property. The owner did not seem particularly welcoming either, not unfriendly just not very friendly which is what I would accept on arrival at a hotel I have paid £90 for the night.

The room was in the basement along a long corridor plain corridor with green carpet.

The room itself was small, but neat. but it was strange that half the carpet was replaced with laminate. on closer inspection I could see that they must have replaced some of the worn out carpet, and the rest of the carpet was vaguely stained, although not filthy, by no means spotless (I did not remove my shoes as it did not look clean). Some aspects/repairs to the room were unfinished such as holes filled but not painted over.

The cups and saucers on the dresser were tea stained and there were two hairs on one of the saucers - which we decided not to use for this reason.

The bathroom was very dated the tiles must have been from about the 70's or 80's very old. On the plus side the shower was excellent, although the wet room became covered in water by the end of the shower.

The decoration was niceish - but it is such a shame that this hotel does not pay more attention to the small details mentioned as this attention to cleanliness/spotlessness is what anyone staying at a hotel expects, and although not filthy you are left with the impression that everything is not clean.

The room did not warm up and when we returned from our night out at 10.30 the room was stone cold, we were shocked to find they turned the heating off and when requested they refused to turn the heating on! They instead gave us a noisy blow heater, my boyfriend was less than impressed to stay the least. We have stayed in many hotels and we have never had the heating turned off!

My honest overall feeling was that it felt more like an old peoples home than a hotel - as though we shouldn't expect to have the heating on past a certain time!

The breakfast in the morning was very nice, but the portion was stingy. We asked for a full english breakfast which stated amongst other ingredients "mushrooms" i had half yes half! a mushroom on my plate.

No impressed overall. This hotel is a nice building but the owners need to pay much more attention to small details - if I'm paying for my stay I expect the heating to be on, I want clean carpets, and I don't want stained cups! I also want a decent sized breakfast - after all I'm on holiday! (or at least meant to be).

If this hotel paid attention to these finer details, and put a few more touches round the place like flowers in the reception, I'm sure they would do well, if they want repeat visitors and good review.

These are small things that could make a massive difference to this hotels welcome appeal.

A shame.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting your feelings about your stay at Cotswold Grange – we’re sorry that your expectations were not met.

The room you were allocated was very recently refurbished – the carpet has an interesting tartan design with subtle colouration – not ‘vaguely stained’ as you say (how can the entire carpet be vaguely stained? – staining would be local)

The entrance corridor to the room is floored with laminate and provides a clear distinction between the bedroom area and the hallway – this was deliberately done and not as you say ‘to replace the worn our carpet’ (which doesn’t really make much sense)

Heating is on most of the time and the residual heat when the heating is off (as it is at 12 midnight when you made the issue) is sufficient and comfortable - it may be that you had the radiator in your room turned off during the day when the central heating was on?

In connection with your comment about breakfast – we provide a buffet and a full cooked-to-order breakfast which by your own admission is ‘very nice’. The full cooked-to-order breakfast takes up most of the plate – if you really wanted more mushrooms all you needed to do was ask. We find your comment about breakfast unfair based on what we provide.

We’re a small hotel with a dedicated and passionate team - as you can see from previous reviews – many of our visitors are delighted with the wonderful atmosphere and service we provide and do indeed come again and again.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Initial impressions were good with a genuinely friendly welcome. This was tempered slightly when entering the room - nothing wrong, but nothing outstanding.

The food and service were both very good.

I would gladly return :-)

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

For the price I was happy with what I got. I used it for a night away with my fiancée following a meal and drinks with friends and knowing that my parents were babysitting. So all we wanted was a comfy bed to crash in and a lazy morning. We certainly got this, so no complaints there.
The room I booked ended up being downstairs, with a normal double bed that was comfy, but nothing special.
The bathroom was a poky wet room, with a good shower. But once you'd used the shower, the floor was soaking so you had to wear shoes in there, which isn't great in a wet room.
Breakfast was ok, nothing special. An "off the menu" full English rather than buffet style, it didn't taste better than a buffet style which was a touch disappointing.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple