“Excellent Hotel- 5 star service, trendy rooms”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We stayed in a Junior suite which was very reasonably priced- it was recently and tastefully refurbished to a hgh standard. The staff were great, we had a full breakfast brought to our room which was one of the best I have had in any hotel. The hotel is very well placed to Montpelier & the shops, there are lots of bars and restaurants in the area. I would highly reccommend it to any couple wanting to get away for a few days.

Room Tip: Junior suite was well worth the extra for
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 April 2011

The outside carpark is free, which is a bonus for Cheltenham. The building is impressive, but a little close to the road and the carpark/footpath is a little tired. Inside, the corridors were being refurbished but we'd not been forewarned, which was disappointing. Having agreed a rate on the phone and had it confirmed by e-mail, I was annoyed when, on checkout, they attempted to overcharge us.

The room was average sized and the bed was comfortable.

Breakfasts were good.

Overall, not exactly memorable but a safe bet if you wanted somewhere to stay which was central and had parking.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
js_as_es_ts, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor and I am sorry for the delayed response.
I do apologise for the condition of the corridors during your stay. This was the weekend in between the painting of the corridors and the fitting of the new carpet. Unfortunately the corridors were left in a significantly worse state than we had expected. This was the final area of the hotel's full refurbishment program and the corridors now look fantastic.
I am also sorry that a mistake was made on you bill. You were on a special deal of stay Friday and Saturday and get 50% discount off the Sunday. The system should have generated this reduction for the third night, which it did not and unfortunately reception did not pick this up before you did, certainly not an intentional "overcharge".
Once again I am sorry that the condition of the corridors and this error on the invoice marred what I trust was an otherwise enjoyable stay.
I hope that you will consider staying with us at the George Hotel when you next visit Cheltenham.
Kind regards
Jeremy Shaw
Owner and Manager

Reviewed 1 April 2011

Six words which you want to hear at reception - we have given you an upgrade. I was loving this hotel already. The receptionist was warm and very human she had just checked someone in I was standing behind and instead of launching into the spiel about breakfast etc she said I'm sure you heard that which I had. She offered to take my bag for me but she was pregnant so I said I would take it myself but she asked me again and I declined.

When I was halfway up the stairs I realised why they are very steep and there are alot of them I had to stop halfway up to catch my breath.

They upgraded me to a deluxe room and it was on the surface very very nice it was a large room with a couple of armchairs as well as the bed and a DVD player. The bathroom was large and had a wetroom shower as well as a bath. However the rooms are very tired! I opened up my wardrobe and it was covered in black marks on the white paint especially the loft hatch. The bathroom still had tile spacers in it underneat the bath and the bathroom in particular was very very dusty especially on top of the tiles surounding the bath. The shower looked lovely but honestly my cat has done a better job of cleaning me it literally just spat out water and it was a struggle to get damp enough for the soap to lather.

I ate out both nights at a local indian and chinease and there are a lot of places to eat. I had breakfast both days and I fully recommend the full English it was one of the best breakfasts I have had in a hotel especially the sausages. Breakfast service was patchy and confusing with orders mixed up and one couple waiting for toast which was given away to others on several occassions but it is worth the wait believe me.

On the second night I thought I would check out their DVD library and curl up in bed to watch one but the selection was shockingly bad nothing at all to watch and frankly it looked like they were all from Tesco's bagain basement.

Check out was effecient. I would stay there again it was just I felt a little let down as it looked to be a perfect place at first but underneath not quite.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Izzyk

I am sorry that you were disappointed with several parts of your stay with us at the George Hotel. I am delighted that we were able to upgrade you to a Deluxe Double. Because we do not have a lift in the hotel we do always offer assistance with luggage, I can assure you it would not have been the pregnant receptionist who would have carried the bags!
I was very surprised that you felt the room looked "tired", I checked your room immediately after reading the review and I thought it still looks very stylish and is in great condition. However, I would agree that the black marks and tile fixing should have been noticed and dealt with already.
I am pleased that you had an enjoyable breakfast and I had heard that service had been less than efficient which is most unusual for us.
I have checked through our DVD selection, we have 30 DVDs with a good selection of comedies, thrillers and classic movies. Whilst I would agree that we are not Blockbusters I think that for a free service the selection is pretty good.
Once again, I am sorry that we did not completely hit the mark but I am pleased that you enjoyed some elements of your stay.
Kind regards
Jeremy Shaw
Owner and Manager

Reviewed 17 March 2011

I stayed for a weekend with friends and wouldnt usually write a review for a weekend break but i felt i should as the service here was amongst the best i have received from all members of staff. Overall the hotel standard was good but pretty average in terms of room size, decor etc but the service made up for it. This coupled with a central but quiet location and amazing food made the hotel well worth staying at and i would definitely recommend it and will hopefully return.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Just returned from a last-minute shopping break in Cheltenham, staying overnight at the George. Booked deluxe room via late availability deal on their website for £123, saving 25% on the rack rate of £165. Well worth waiting until last minute (if you can) and booking direct with hotel a couple of days in advance of your arrival.
Hotel has recently been refurbished to a high standard, plush carpeting had been freshly-laid on the stairways when we arrived. Our room could have been more spacious, but was very well laid-out /furnished, with 6 foot bed and two comfy chairs.
There is a 32" TV and DVD player, though as previous reviewer stated, only terrestial TV channels available.
There was a mini-fridge in room - only bottled water in it (free), but great for chilling wine or drinks you may have brought with you..plus there were tea/coffee facilities with good selection of beverages.
Was impressed with the bathroom with its large bath and separate walk-in shower, and bathrobes.
No gym, but hotel offers free use of pool and facilities at CLC leisure centre nearby.
Staff could not be more helpful and friendly.
Hotel is centrally located for the great shopping that Cheltenham offers, but it is a good 20-25min walk from train station. Would recommend a taxi (£5) If you have luggage.
Breakfast was ample and delicious, and efficiently served to our table. The full English satisfied us ready for the day of shopping ahead!
Didnt dine at Montys but did visit their cosy cocktail bar downstairs and relaxed listening to live music while sipping the delicious half-price cocktails.
Only minor niggle I have is that the windows are single glazed, so you can hear some traffic noise and the room on arriving back at night was a little cold; hotel could benefit from installing secondary glazing .
All in all a lovely hotel and wouldnt hesitate to return, and recommend for a short break in Cheltenham.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2011

We booked our room using the hotels online booking system.

We opted for the Winter Package which consisted of the following:

Two Nights Accommodation
Dinner for two in award winning Monty’s Brassiere on one night
Full English breakfast on both mornings
Bottle of Louis Dornier Champagne
Morning newspapers
Copy of the "Romantic Road", the perfect guide to driving the Cotswolds

Ill describe each item as I go along.

Two night accom - Deluxe Double Room.

The photos on the hotels website are a good reflection of what you actually get.
A good size bed, TV and DVD, Tea and Coffee facilities, Safe etc etc.
Quite clearly a lot of thought has gone into the design of the rooms, however there are some small things that I feel I have to mention.
The final finish of the bathroom seems to have been rushed, poor cutting in around the edge of the ceilings, wobbly bath plumbing, tile separators still in between the tiles coupled together with heavy dust on top of the fridge unit and around the bedside lamps.
No decent TV channels either, I would expect to have at least some fair selection of satellite channels to choose from rather than old analogue.
Average toiletries, if you are going to charge a premium for the room then at least provide premium toiletries.

Dinner for two in award winning Monty’s Brassiere on one night

Now then! The meal in Monty's was truly brilliant with fantastic food on offer. It’s quite clear to see why this popular brassiere has awards. Excellent choice on the menu with something to suit everybody’s pallet.
Even if you don’t book a package where this is included, I would recommend booking in, you won’t be disappointed.

Breakfast was also served in Monty's. Go for the works and you won’t want to eat again until tea time!
There is also a good selection of other breakfast options available.

Bottle of Louis Dornier Champagne
Yep, nice choice of champers, we had ours with room service. No better way to wash down a homemade burger and fries? ;-)

Morning newspapers
Copy of the "Romantic Road", the perfect guide to driving the Cotswolds

Didn’t bother with newspapers and collected our driving guide from reception.

All in all a satisfying stay at The George.

In summary:
Pros:
Excellent Brassiere
Excellent and polite staff at all levels
Well thought out room designs
Great location near to the centre of town

Cons:
A little noisy from the main road
Bathroom finish
Slightly overpriced

Would certainly recommend if you have the budget.

1  Thank Swordfishradio
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Stayed at the George Hotel as a last minute break with my husband. When i telephoned the hotel to make the booking, i spoke to Sam on reception who was outstanding, she couldnt have been more helpful and friendly- a great asset to the hotel. The junior suite was very large with a fab bathroom, very nicely decorated with great quality beds. We decided to book a table at Montys restaurant next door, and we were so glad we did. The food was outstanding and so was the service. My husband and i are well travelled around the world and and this restaurant was top in our book . Ths staff couldnt do enough for you, and were an absolute pleasure. The food was fantastic! Highly recommend to stay at the george hotel if your in cheltenham, it deserves 5 star rating.