“The George is excellent”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I recently stayed at THE GEORGE HOTEL CHELTENHAM and found it to be a most pleasant and friendly hotel. The staff were all well trained, helpful and knowledgeable. The rooms were well furnished and restful. The highlight was the hotel restaurant MO NTES. We had two evening meals there and our party of twelve were fulsome in their praise of the food, wine and service. This is an excellent hotel, situated quite close to the centre of CHeltenham yet in a quiet spot, and it has a very good restaurant with super staff.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 May 2011

On arrival at the George we were impressed with the area and the building and after a long day of driving on a hot day we were glad to find disabled parking right outside the hotel. The décor was impressive in the entrance and reception. The receptionist was courteous and helpful which was nice. We really wanted to rest before our meal which was booked a few hours later. We had booked a junior suite and paid £135 less than the rack rate. When we opened the door to the room WHOOSH the heat hit us the room was like an oven. The room was tastefully decorated with a large flat screen tv there was a fridge with 2 complimentary bottles of water no mini bar. The bathroom was very modern with large bath with headrest, there was a separate shower with rainfall shower it was impressive only one problem though there was a nasty smell in there not so bad to put you off going in there but it was noticeable. We opened the sash windows as wide as they would go but this didn't seem to change the temperature much at all, there was a small fan which was on when we arrived but this really wasn't enough. We were whacked and needed a rest so we put up with this. We left the windows open that evening but the room was still really warm in fact the windows had to be left open all night which meant there was outside noise obviously a thoroughfare for late night revellers and the hotel has a cocktail bar and had a private function and the smoking area outside was under our room (115) so not the greatest nights sleep. We went down for breakfast in the morning and were very impressed with the attention to detail from staff our breakfast was one of the best I have had in a hotel locally sourced products and very tasty. I would definitely stay again but they need to sort the heat problem. Our room was ideal if you are looking for somewhere to stay after going out for a night out but not if your looking for a quiet night. We did raise the heat issue with the receptionist she told us that the hotel was grade 2 listed and they keep getting turned down for permission for air con. My advice would be to purchase some portable air-conditioning units and this would solve this problem although a hot day this was April I would dread to think what its like in the summer. This was treat for us we don't stay in expensive hotels very often & I don't want to put people off this hotel its lovely just felt a bit let down.

Room Tip: not 115 on a hot day otherwise its lovely
1  Thank exmouthtourists
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Having stayed at The George Hotel before I chose this as the location for my partners 40th birthday celebrations with friends and family and wasn't disappointed. It is always hard to find a hotel that pleases everyone but all members of our party loved the hotel and commented on the excellent rooms and friendly service - nothing was too much trouble for the staff both at reception and in the restaurant / bar. Two members of our party are already planning a return visit! The hotel is in a great location and were we able to walk to the shops, bars and restaurants in Cheltenham.

Thanks for making our stay so enjoyable on this special occasion.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Just returned from a night at The George with my boyfriend and was really impressed by the entire experience. The staff were fantastic, especially the receptionist who first greeted us.
We booked the 'Sunday Night Special:' by spending £75 in the adjoining Monty's Brasserie we had the Junior Suite for £90, about half the price it would be usually. I would really recommend this deal if you are able to spend the Monday away - the brasserie served us some of the nicest food we have eaten and is often described as the best restaurant in Cheltenham, so definitely worth spending money here to save in the hotel. The only downside to eating there on a Sunday evening is that the downstairs cocktail bar was closed - this looked very intriguing as they have live music on a Friday and Saturday - however the barman in the restaurant was lovely and made us some cocktails anyway from what he could find behind the bar!!
As for the bedroom, it was absolutely gorgeous, huge bed and big TV, plus another TV and sofa in the adjoining study area. Bathroom was massive and really nicely done with a huge double-ended bath and wet room shower area.
Only fault was that the bedroom was incredibly hot, so that we had a bit of trouble sleeping. Luckily there was a fan in the cupboard which we put to good use! The bedroom was also facing out onto the road so it got a bit noisy through the night, and probably would be more so if it were a Friday or Saturday.
But overall a lovely hotel which we would highly recommend to anybody, as well as Monty's Brasserie!

Reviewed 18 April 2011

We stayed in a Junior suite which was very reasonably priced- it was recently and tastefully refurbished to a hgh standard. The staff were great, we had a full breakfast brought to our room which was one of the best I have had in any hotel. The hotel is very well placed to Montpelier & the shops, there are lots of bars and restaurants in the area. I would highly reccommend it to any couple wanting to get away for a few days.

Room Tip: Junior suite was well worth the extra for
Reviewed 12 April 2011

The outside carpark is free, which is a bonus for Cheltenham. The building is impressive, but a little close to the road and the carpark/footpath is a little tired. Inside, the corridors were being refurbished but we'd not been forewarned, which was disappointing. Having agreed a rate on the phone and had it confirmed by e-mail, I was annoyed when, on checkout, they attempted to overcharge us.

The room was average sized and the bed was comfortable.

Breakfasts were good.

Overall, not exactly memorable but a safe bet if you wanted somewhere to stay which was central and had parking.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
js_as_es_ts, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor and I am sorry for the delayed response.
I do apologise for the condition of the corridors during your stay. This was the weekend in between the painting of the corridors and the fitting of the new carpet. Unfortunately the corridors were left in a significantly worse state than we had expected. This was the final area of the hotel's full refurbishment program and the corridors now look fantastic.
I am also sorry that a mistake was made on you bill. You were on a special deal of stay Friday and Saturday and get 50% discount off the Sunday. The system should have generated this reduction for the third night, which it did not and unfortunately reception did not pick this up before you did, certainly not an intentional "overcharge".
Once again I am sorry that the condition of the corridors and this error on the invoice marred what I trust was an otherwise enjoyable stay.
I hope that you will consider staying with us at the George Hotel when you next visit Cheltenham.
Kind regards
Jeremy Shaw
Owner and Manager

Reviewed 1 April 2011

Six words which you want to hear at reception - we have given you an upgrade. I was loving this hotel already. The receptionist was warm and very human she had just checked someone in I was standing behind and instead of launching into the spiel about breakfast etc she said I'm sure you heard that which I had. She offered to take my bag for me but she was pregnant so I said I would take it myself but she asked me again and I declined.

When I was halfway up the stairs I realised why they are very steep and there are alot of them I had to stop halfway up to catch my breath.

They upgraded me to a deluxe room and it was on the surface very very nice it was a large room with a couple of armchairs as well as the bed and a DVD player. The bathroom was large and had a wetroom shower as well as a bath. However the rooms are very tired! I opened up my wardrobe and it was covered in black marks on the white paint especially the loft hatch. The bathroom still had tile spacers in it underneat the bath and the bathroom in particular was very very dusty especially on top of the tiles surounding the bath. The shower looked lovely but honestly my cat has done a better job of cleaning me it literally just spat out water and it was a struggle to get damp enough for the soap to lather.

I ate out both nights at a local indian and chinease and there are a lot of places to eat. I had breakfast both days and I fully recommend the full English it was one of the best breakfasts I have had in a hotel especially the sausages. Breakfast service was patchy and confusing with orders mixed up and one couple waiting for toast which was given away to others on several occassions but it is worth the wait believe me.

On the second night I thought I would check out their DVD library and curl up in bed to watch one but the selection was shockingly bad nothing at all to watch and frankly it looked like they were all from Tesco's bagain basement.

Check out was effecient. I would stay there again it was just I felt a little let down as it looked to be a perfect place at first but underneath not quite.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Izzyk

I am sorry that you were disappointed with several parts of your stay with us at the George Hotel. I am delighted that we were able to upgrade you to a Deluxe Double. Because we do not have a lift in the hotel we do always offer assistance with luggage, I can assure you it would not have been the pregnant receptionist who would have carried the bags!
I was very surprised that you felt the room looked "tired", I checked your room immediately after reading the review and I thought it still looks very stylish and is in great condition. However, I would agree that the black marks and tile fixing should have been noticed and dealt with already.
I am pleased that you had an enjoyable breakfast and I had heard that service had been less than efficient which is most unusual for us.
I have checked through our DVD selection, we have 30 DVDs with a good selection of comedies, thrillers and classic movies. Whilst I would agree that we are not Blockbusters I think that for a free service the selection is pretty good.
Once again, I am sorry that we did not completely hit the mark but I am pleased that you enjoyed some elements of your stay.
Kind regards