“The G.E.O.R.G.E. Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

E - Excellent Breakfast

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

I stayed in this hotel at the start of this month for a family wedding and I was actually rather disappointed that my stay was only one night as I thought the hotel was lovely and would have liked to have stayed longer! The immediate thing that stood out was the friendly and welcoming serivce; you'd think this minimum requirement is the easiest to satisfy but actually so many get it wrong! The staff here are so accommodating and friendly. I arrived in a rush from London (note, avoid Paddington when the Henley Regatta is on unless your tickets are being posted to you!) and had to dump my case whilst my cab waited outside, they were really fine about me dumping it, with barely enough time to even explain who I even was and then when I checked in properly after the wedding service it had been taken to my room for me.

The double, for my daughter and I, was admittedly a bit on the small side, but as expected as I had only paid for the standard double room and they did say when I booked it that it was smaller. And it was perfectly adequate for us, and even would have been with two adults. That said I thought it represented great value for £85 for the night. Given how central it was I (quite rightly I think) thought it was a steal.The advertised room rate is £120 but they offer the same discounts as any you see advertised online. The room was really nicely decorated, with a very luxe bathroom, and a really comfortable bed. We both slept very well. A review on here has said they found the hotel quite dated, I wouldn't agree with that although perhaps the room furniture was a little more tired than the rest of the decor (although the swirly hallway carpets should probably get a special mention), but it still gives an air of a good hotel nonetheless. And also, as I'll keep pointing out, the room cost £85!! Everything is relative, the room is not like you'll find at the Sanderson but nor does it cost £250. I was actually really pleasantly surprised as I tend to think most smaller independent hotels to be a bit Fawlty Towers like or dated/chintzy and so prefer a cosy b&b outside of London, but I was very glad I went for the hotel option.

Breakfast was really nice, and the waiters were really lovely. Again I kept my case with them after checking out to see a bit of the city which they were really fine about. And then they called a cab upon our return... I've no reason to go back to Cheltenham but I'd consider it just to stay here again! Excellent service, so welcoming, at such great value, with lovely room, food and decor to boot. Highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank DaniSaff
Wales Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

Friendly staff. Excellent restaurant. Very well situated to explore the town, shopping and other restaurants. Rooms at back of hotel much quieter than those at the front.

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobertEaston
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

It came down to The George or Hotel du Vin. Both excellent hotels but so glad we chose The George. The staff were not just good, they really made the difference to the stay. Pride of the hotel and of Cheltenham really showed through. The food at Monty's was the best we have had for a long time again with excellent service. Thank you 'The George' - We will recommend you to others.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

Keep reading other people's reviews and wonder was this the same hotel as we stayed in? We found it ok but really nothing special. Entrance is ok but adjoining properties were run down. Empty reception rooms when we walked in were off putting as were the empty boxes and packaging in the reception area and the door propped open with a used towel. Furniture in room dark and chipped-looked like the room had been partly decorated fairly recently but the furniture was old. Paint chipped on woodwork and peeling off windows. Room at front looked onto main road,carpark, rusty balustrades, wiring and an old cigarette butt. Stayed in a "junior suite"-but this was actually one room -criteria seemed to be that it had a settee (marked) but this limited the space available to walk pass and had to lift feet to squeeze past. Stayed in many hotel rooms -suite normally means more than one room -when I queried this I was told there was another room but that was extra. Receptionist offered it to us for free as they were quiet but it was dark and small and not at all inviting.There were bath robes but tatty and one had rust(I hope that's what it was) on the arm.
On a plus bed was large and comfortable and there was no traffic noise despite being on a main road. Bathroom was large and new -with lovely deep bath and modern shower. Location was good and staff very pleasant.
Didn't eat dinner at Monty's (although staff worked hard at trying to persuade) but had breakfast there. It was average but tables and chairs tatty and sad looking and just old and dated. Guy came in to varnish the floor whilst we ate which seemed unprofessional -at the very least clean overalls would have created a better impression.
The overall impression was one of an overpriced, tired seaside guesthouse.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
js_as_es_ts, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
I am sorry that you had a less than enjoyable experience at the George Hotel and Monty’s when you stayed with us at the end of May. As you can see from all our other reviews it is most unusual for a guest to be so disappointed. Clearly we did not meet your expectations and this concerns me greatly.
I have read your review many times now to try and establish why your opinion of our hotel is so very different to our normal guests. Neither the hotel nor brasserie have ever been referred to as tired, stylish – yes, modern – yes, vibrant – yes.
The George Hotel is the only independent hotel in the town centre and our guests tend to find a level of friendliness and hospitality not found in most chain hotels. This is reflected in us having an AA merit rating of 81%, the highest in town.
The George is also home to Monty’s Brasserie, one of the most popular restaurants in Cheltenham; serving contemporary cuisine with an emphasis on seafood, Monty’s is the only restaurant in the town centre with 2 AA Rosettes.
The hotel website and our other reviews on TripAdvisor give a very accurate picture of what the hotel is really like. We are what we are, and that is; a small independent hotel in the centre of Cheltenham with great rooms, a great restaurant and great staff.
Jeremy Shaw
Owner and Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

We stayed at the George following comments we read on trip advisor and I'm really glad that we did, the hotel is fantastic. The staff are very friendly and always willing to help. The lack of a lift didn't bother us, but it could be a problem to some. We had dinner in the restaurant, Montys, it was amazing. I really can't recommend the restaurant enough. Much like the hotel, excellent and very good value.

• Stayed May 2011
      Location
      Rooms
nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

very good value for money saff are wonderfull location excellent

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple