“What an amazing hotel”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Thank you, at last a hotel that lives up to every expectation. My ma and I visited Cheltenham for a couple of days in November and couldn't fault The Georges Hotel. The staff were genuinely warm and friendly, the hotel was modern, clean and has some impressive design ideas. The food at Monty's was fantastic - we ate there on the first night and then after a bit of searching for somewhere to go on the second we decided that Monty's was unbeatable. We would highly recommend it although just hope that this doesn't mean that it's fully booked the next time we want to go.

Room Tip: Book well in advance :)
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mackalack

Reviewed 9 November 2011

I also was with a group of girlfriends for a a weekend in Cheltenham, to celebrate our significant birthday (say no more). Cheltenham was great - the friendliness of staff almost everywhere we went in the town was excelllent. The hotel really is in an ideal location for walking to the shops, and the beautiful district of Montpelier is just around the corner.
The rooms were spacious and tastefully decorated. We did miss the fridge in the room (to chill the bubbly we had taken).
The service at the hotel was good, food in Monty's was lovely. I would agree with the previous comment that the cocktail bar was a bit lacking in atmosphere. I would also agree with breakfast - it was a bit slow in coming, but we did hit the breakfast rush at 9.30. A small suggestion - I would have preferred a cafetiere of coffee with my breakfast, as the cup of coffee was soon empty.
That said , I would definitely recommend, and I would like to return either as a group of grilfreinds, or with my husband. I would contemplate taking my 9 and 11 year old - but I did not see any other children staying whilst I was there. Thank you for a lovely weekend.

Room Tip: We had a junior suite with an extra sitting room (which was not charged for). The sitting room was s...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2011

By far the best hotel in Cheltenham what ever your requirements may be. Previously stayed at the 'big white elephant' in town. What a disappointment. At The George however, there is constant discreet attention to detail and service. Understated perfection week in week out.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed with friends for a girls weekend away and was very impressed. Perfectly located for exploring the old town and the shops. Short walk to the main modern centre too. Rooms were comfortable and well-equipped. Monty's restaurant was buzzing both evenings we were there - booking essential. Lovely food. The cocktail bar was a bit lacking in atmosphere and being late for breakfast gets you a rather grumpy service but overall I'd recommend this as a good place to stay to get the best from a visit to Cheltenham.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2011

What a fantastic find! Stopped in Cheltenham on a whim on our way home and found
The George. Great location near the centre and free parking right outside the door.Jeremy was extremely friendly and helpful and even showed us the way back later in the day when he found us lost! The room was beautiful with every little extra you could want, and such a comfy bed. We ate in Mont'y's and it was the best food we had had in a long time. Top quality produce perfectly cooked, and the sharing dessert plate was to die for, excellent value at under £70.00 for 3 courses. All the staff were friendly and attentive making you feel very welcome. Breakfast was top notch with the same attention to detail as the restaurant.One of the best hotels we have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I stay in hotels regularly through my occupation and based on the previous reviews for this hotel I was confident it would be a nice place to stay. We stayed in room 124 which is a small double, and it was nicely decorated. The corridor outside the room was very hot and so was the room so we went to turn off the radiator and found it was already turned off. The only way to attempt to cool down the room was to leave the window open. This wasn't particularly effective and during the night we had to remove the duvet from its cover and use the cover as a sheet. The main problem with the room is its location above the hotel kitchen, there was constant banging, which sounded like someone playing the drums, from when we returned from our evening meal at about 9pm until 11.15pm when we finally asked reception to investigate where the noise was coming from. The receptionist was apologetic and identified the noise as coming from the kitchen, after which the noise levels reduced to an acceptable level. However at 0610 the noise started again and we were both wide awake, not quite the relaxing start to the day we were hoping for.

We went to breakfast at 0930 (breakfast served until 10am). We were the only guests in the restaurant but the waitress didn't seem at all interested in serving us and we didn't feel at all welcome. Quite the opposite in fact. Got the distinct feeling the waitress thought the breakfast shift was over. We got offered tea or coffee and the wrong drinks brought out. As per the table menu, the buffet was to include juice, fruit, yogurt and cereal. However, in reality it consisted of a small amount of fruit juice, with only one glass left and a selection of cereals. I asked for an extra glass and if it would be possible to have to fruit, to which the response which was less than warm was that she would have to go and ask the kitchen. The extra glass for the fruit juice then came out and was slammed down onto the worktop in the buffet area and the waitress brought us some fruit each. We were then offered toast and hot breakfast which were very nice. In summary, good quality food, but appalling service. . We handed in a feedback form when we checked out to which we received a very prompt email reply from the manager/owner. He said they’d never had a problem with noise in that room before, which amazes me, and offered us a discount on a future booking and a room upgrade. Overall I'd say its a hotel of very mixed levels of services, as reception good, however this was let down by our experience as detailed above and I cannot help but think room 124 should be a store room!

Room Tip: Avoid room 124!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom A
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Outgoing, friendly staff who remember your name, likes and dislikes. Jeremy and the front staff are warm and kind while the restaurant/pub staff in Monty's always have a smile and a good thing to say. They were generous in naming other restaurants and points of interest. Centrally located in the heart of downtown Cheltenham, a great choice. This was my first visit and I have already booked a return trip for a month from now.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business