“TOP HOTEL IN CHELTENHAM”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We've stayed at The George on several occasions over the last 8 years and have found it to be a very pleasant experience in this independant hotel. Well situated for the Cheltenham shops 10 minutes walk away, it has a variety of rooms with their suites good value. The stairways are rather narrow and steep but add to the character of the hotel. Breakfasts are generally of good quality as are evening meals both being served in Monty's. There is the opportunity to use a local spa as part of your stay. The staff are friendly and the Hotel manager Jeremy Shaw is always happy to spend time talking to guests and advising them of what's on locally. Car parking at both the front and back of the hotel can be tight if you have a large car. Excellent place and well worth a visit ot two

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 October 2013

It was just a one-night stopover to meet a friend, right in the centre of city and close to the bus station where I was arriving from Oxford. It's smart and clean and friendly, but, being formed out of several Georgian terraces has steep, narrow staircases, narrow corridors and no lift. The room was small, but elegant and well equipped and the bathroom was splendid (I indulged myself in my first bath after years of showers-only and was impressed). The bar and restaurant were cheerful and pleasant, but, at my request for a glass of sherry, the barman said there was none and no-one had ever asked for it before. The breakfast menu was OK and the coffee fresh and strong. GBP95 for the night (internet booking) with a rack rate of GBP125. I overheard the receptionist telling a customer that they were already fully booked for next March, presumably for Cheltenham Races or some such event. No complaints, but not somewhere I would fight to return to.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed for just one night at The George and it was pleasant. Room was clean, tidy and well decorated with a l large comfortable bed and very well appointed bathroom. The hotel is located very centrally so we were able to easily walk into the centre of town.

The bar and bistro were very quiet on our Monday night stay so we age elsewhere.

The hotel dealt very well with some booking hiccups we encountered (not the fault of the hotel) and they were very agonising and professional.

Could not see a lift in the hotel so if stairs are not your thing then avoid the upper floors.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights for the Gold Cup, lovely hotel, room very comfortable (fab bed). Staff friendly and everywhere clean. Very well situated for walking into the town. We ate in Montys on both nights, great food, can highly recommend the fillet and the beef wellington. Breakfasts are also excellent and set you up for the days ativities.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My daughter was starting boarding school at Cheltenham and we spent two nights at The George Hotel. We had a great time. Climbing the stairs was the exercise I needed. Staff were also willing to carry our bags up and down the stairs. My daughters and I had a wonderful time. Meals at Monty's were lovely. I had the seafood platter twice!!! I look forward to visiting again. However, we will book a much bigger room next time.

I believe I met Mr Shaw at the reception a couple of times and he really was very helpful - he carried our bags to the door too!.

We will definitely be staying there whenever we are at Cheltenham. I have told my extended family about this charming hotel and they will be visiting too.

First class service! First class staff!

Room Tip: The larger rooms would be best.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Thank you so much for the very kind review.
I am delighted that you all enjoyed your stay at the George Hotel when you visited Cheltenham and I hope that your daughter has settled in to her new school. It was a pleasure to have met you all.
Thanks also for your positive comments about Monty’s, the Shellfish Platter is my favourite too!
The room that you had during this stay was a Classic Double; for your information the Deluxe Doubles are slightly larger and the Junior Suites are larger still.
I very much look forward to seeing you when you are next back in Cheltenham.
Very kind regards
Jeremy

Jeremy Shaw
Owner/Manager

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed at the George Hotel on our way home from St Ives. The location of the hotel was great, just a few minutes walk from the shops and restaurants. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was first class, we had a lovely evening meal in Montys restaurant and the best breakfast yet. We booked a small room it had everything we needed and was very clean. We would recommend this Hotel and will definitely return sometime.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neil T
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 nights over the bank holiday weekend and absolutely loved it. We had a deluxe room which was perfect, the bathroom was stunning and the bed the biggest and most comfortable we have ever stayed in! Cheltenham is a lovely place and the hotel is perfectly located. The restaurant and cocktail bar are really good, the food was delicious. The breakfast was one of the best we have had at a hotel, and the service good. One waitress seemed to be doing all the work though, if they were all as enthusiastic as her it would be perfect, shame I didn't catch her name. We did have a rough nights sleep on the Sunday night, there was a lot of noise and fights outside, not sure whether hotel guests or not. This effected sleep quality but could not be helped. The hotel has an extensive range of DVD's to borrow too which was a nice touch. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay again when in Cheltenham.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are a better size and worth the extra money in my opinion, rooms at the front of the ho...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple