“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed here on a 2 night break whilst we did our Christmas shopping. We had a small double which was exactly as it stated but not too small that we couldn't move! The room was clean and comfortable and the hotel was well located being only a 5 minute walk to the shops! We had an excellent deal with both breakfast included as well as a 2 course meal in Monty's on one evening. The breakfast, which was cooked to order, and evening meal were excellent although we did wait a while to take our order for breakfast on the first morning. Despite this we will definitely be returning!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

My first impressions of the hotel were very good. Reception were friendly and efficient, whilst the look and feel of the place had a non-uniform, homely quality.

The rooms have a cosy layout, with plenty of furniture neatly arranged in quite a space efficient way. Temperature regulation is offered via a radiator and window - slightly old fashioned, but adds to that homely quality. Rooms are nicely adorned with not too much decoration, but enough to look smart.

My main disappointments came in the fundamental amenities. The bed was not at all comfortable; a hard mattress with thin pillows that become thinner throughout the night (the sort where your head leaves a notable imprint). I had two relatively difficult nights' sleep.

The bathroom was another disappointment. The shower mediocre; weak water pressure and difficult temperature regulation (went from lukewarm to very hot, missing the greyscale between). There were other design flaws - the tray for shampoos is directly within the path of the shower and holds water. Guess what; it fills up.

There were other positives. The location is excellent - stones throw from the centre but not quite in the middle of it all. And though I (regrettably) didn't try them, the bar and bistro looked very nice.

It's a shame that the bed was uncomfortable and the bathroom a little flawed, other than those things it is a very nice hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Whilst I was pleased to note that overall you enjoyed your stay and our great location, I was disappointed to read some of your other comments.
Rest assured, I will certainly be looking into the issues that you have raised.
Without such valuable feedback we would never have the opportunity to put things right or improve.
I do hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to Cheltenham.
With kind regards
Owner/Manager
The George Hotel & Monty's
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

This is a very quiet and comfortable hotel. It's also reasonably priced. We slept extremely well both nights we spent there. Breakfast was very good too. What stopped us from rating it "excellent" is that the bathroom needs repainting. The manager promised he would do something about it. We loved Cheltenham and are planning to come back and check on the bathroom :)

1 Thank Patrick B
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for your kind and positive comments and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. With regards to the bathroom, thank you for bringing this to my attention and I would like to reassure you that as discussed the redecoration of the bathroom has been scheduled into our maintenance programme and should be completed soon.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here one night for a wedding. The booking process was easy - could be done online or over the phone. Email confirmation was sent promptly. As the wedding was pre check in time I checked it was ok to park beforehand and informed it was no problem and there was parking at the front and behing the hotel.

We found it easily near the centre of town. Found a space easily at the front and informed staff at reception when we arrived. Being 3 hours early, unsurprisingly our room was not ready and staff were gracious about this despite it being entirely reasonable that it was not. Others of the wedding party did have rooms ready early and were checked in which I thought was good.

We then had our only minor mishap. As there was nearly an hour before the wedding I thought I would have a coffee, while him indoors ordered a beer through reception. I ended up cancelling them as they didn't arrive in time for us to drink. Apologies from staff were forthcoming. Also I was advised of the lagers on tap and in bottles when I enquired after beer but no mention was made of the real ale on tap that it later transpired they also have.

On arriving back from the wedding we were promptly greeted with a glass of fizzy. During the melee of photos someone smashed my glass which was cleared up with the minimum of fuss and rapidly replaced. Ditto when someone broke a glass outside.

Max who was working made a very good suggestion to take photos on the steps outside and even bravely put himself forward as photographer. The man has the patience of a saint as it was like herding kittens. They were good photos.

On and into the room, gentlt steered by the ever smiling Max (but not rushed) for lunch. They made a great job of the room and it looked beautiful. Prior to the wedding we were given about 6 choices per course which I think is more than usual. All our courses were on printed cars by our place.

All the food was immaculately presented - there was a range of different plate sizes, shapes and colours. Plenty of food envy while enjoying your own meal. I started with scallops which came with some kind of cold, sweet, pickled onion and a curried lentil base. It looked as delicious as it tasted. I followed up with a duo of Cotswold lamb that came with a lamb chop and some kind of divine, slow cooked shoulder and potato fondant. Packed full of flavour. I ended with a honey tart with pecans and I think lemon cream. Other than the pastry being a little over crisps for me (better than a soggy bottom though) once I'd cracked it was a very pleasing meld of flavours. Him indoors had the crispy duck whcih while very pleasant was a weaker dish to our minds. Nothing wrong with it but nothing stand out either. The monkfish wrapped in pancetta with baby onion and mushroom however was glorious. Crispy pancetta with meaty monkfish. The cheesecake was another good but not stand out dish. I also (in the interests of being able to comment widely) tried the vegetable curry (very nice, with well cooked, crisps vegetables, a little spicy for those who ordered it but very nice to my mind), the vegetarian pasta dish (love a parmesan crisp) and some steak (tender, full of flavour). We were also in the fortunate position of being near to someone who had no intention of eating their cheeseboard. Wolfed that down between 4 of us. Usual cheddar and blue (latter nice and creamy). The others were not keen on the brie as it was very strong. I really liked it. The biscuits were nice and unusual with a chutney that went well.

Of note for a mass catered event: all food was hot, well presented and correct. It was all well cooked and not over or raw. It was delivered in a pleasant and unobtrusive fashion. The drinks were topped up regularly. We had one minor alarm when the final dish of the starters (husband's duck) was not seen to be his, made a tour of the entire table for 30 and was left on the cake table at the other end of the room before the serving staff vanished. Fortunately we found another member of staff rapidly and they rescued it for us.

They tolerated the singing with good grace.

The final food excitement was the canapes - mini yorkshire puddings with beef and horseradish, chicken, goat's cheese and beetroot puffs and sticky salmon. I may have consumed the lion's share myself. I really enjoyed all of them. Again the cooking and presentation were excellent.

When we did get to our room it was very pleasant. I had had a quick snoop round earlier due to another guest being opposite us. The housekeeping staff kindly let me just have a peep. I think the decoration is done to a high standard, well maintained and our room was spotless. The toiletries came in some kind of funky test tube thang. We had a bath even though we were in a small double (£95/night). I liked the blue green colours. I looked in a few other rooms. The room used as a bridal suite had an enormous walk in rainfall shower and humungous bath. All rooms without exception were clean and welcoming. I think you'd be pleased wherever you were. My least favourite was 114 (seemed smallest?). Also the view from ours was no great shakes but unimportant for our needs.

Overall a well presented hotel with friendly, professional staff whose ability to stage an event was superb with delicious food.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank r1x
Liss, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

This is a good hotel. If you can, go for a Junior suite. Worth the little extra for a treat. Great Sunday Special deal. Spend £75 in the restaurant and get the room at a reduced price. The evening meal was excellent. We went for the Beef Wellington. Good atmosphere, good bar, the mix a good Vodka Martini, shaken off course!

The food at breakfast is good too although the service lacks a smile and I gave up asking for coffee.

I highly recommend this hotel. I would have given it 5 stars but the morning crew let it slip.

Room Tip: We stayed in a classic double this time but previously we enjoyed the Junior Suite. Great bath and s...
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for your positive review and I am pleased that you took advantage of our Sunday Special Offer, which is great value. I am delighted that you enjoyed Monty’s and your evening meal. I was however, disappointed to read your comments about the level of service you received at breakfast. I will of course be speaking to the staff concerned and I am sorry that you did not receive the level of service that you should have done on this occasion.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed for the weekend and booked a small double room on a special weekend rate. The room was very small, however it was tastefully decorated, clean and had everything we would expect plus a few little extras, ie bath robes, bottled water, ironing board, safe, tea and coffee making facilities. The reception staff were very friendly and accommodating - we asked for a slightly later check-out and this was granted without hesitation. There were adequate parking spaces, although they are quite small, but this is not surprising, being in a central location. Shops, restaurants and bars were less than a five minute walk from the hotel. Our room was at the back of the hotel and we had no problem with noise. Breakfast was very nice - not a great deal of choice with regard to fruit, yogurts etc, however this was adequate and the cooked selection made up for this as you could have a traditional British cooked breakfast, as well as more unusual options such as scrambled eggs & smoked salmon and smoked haddock & poached eggs. As others have mentioned, the hotel does not have a lift, so this hotel will not suit everyone. All in all, we enjoyed our stay and felt it was very good value for money. We would definitely stay here again.

mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind and positive review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and were pleased with your room and all the extras that we provide. The small doubles are smaller than our other rooms, but they do have all the same facilities as our larger rooms such as complimentary mineral water, bathrobes, DVD players, free WiFi and complimentary use of Fitness First to name but a few.

We look forward to seeing you back soon.

Kind regards
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Booked a delux double which I was informed are all at the front so beware if you are sensitive to traffic noise as there is no double glazing and you are facing the main road. We were two floors up and the stairs are steep and narrow. The room itself was fine with two armchairs which is good. Nice big bed and comfy pillows. The bathroom has a shower and bath. Our shower head was loose and wouldnt stay up and there are no grips to aid getting out of the bath so if you are elderly it could be a problem. The windows sad to say were not very clean especially the top halves and when we pulled the blind up in the bathroom it looked like they hadnt been cleaned for ages!! Just an observation as it didn,t spoil our stay.
Parking is tight and we couldn,t find the entrance to the front as its off the main road and with busy traffic not enough time to slow down to look so we finished up round the back, again tight to park. You then go up a flight of stairs to reception. Very friendly staff and an easy check in with newspaper delivery offered. We had dinner in Montys both nights of our stay and the food was beautiful and well presented. The wine list is reasonable as well.The staff were very welcoming and friendly, efficient too!We had cocktails after dinner downstairs in the main bar but sadly we were overcharged as the friday deal was two for one on selected drinks which we chose and were charged £4 over the odds!! Breakfasts were served in Montys and freshly cooked to order and really nice, served by friendly smiling staff. The girls waiting on at both at dinner and breakfast were charming as were all the staff we came into contact with. All in all we would stay again when visiting Cheltenham as the hotel has a nice relaxing feel to it.

Room Tip: Front of hotel room have lots of traffic noise day and night as its on the main road.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles