“Surprise 40th Birthday Celebrations ...... WOW!!!”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Ashleworth, United Kingdom
“Surprise 40th Birthday Celebrations ...... WOW!!!”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have just returned from a surprise weekend away in The Junior Suite 21st+22nd Feb 14 as a gift from my Husband.
What a FAB Hotel........The room was amazing, amazing bed (huge, i felt like i was sleeping alone) amazing bathroom (super huge bath) and all the amazing things thought of, like iron and board, robes, bottled cold water etc.
Monty's for Cocktails and Dinner, one of the best meals we have ever eaten, so tasty (even for my very fussy veggie husband)
Breakfast again, very indulgent..............everything you will ever want (i recommend the smoked salmon and scrambed egg).....ooooh and the Granola with Greek Yoghurt
We also made use of the complimentry fitness club.
One small tip- The Housekeeper needs to learn to smile!!!

mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for posting such a kind and positive review.

I was delighted to see that you had such a great stay and you used all the amenities. I was also pleased to note that you enjoyed your meal and cocktails in Monty’s – it is always great to hear.

We hope to see you again soon.

The George Hotel & Monty's Brasserie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Polish first
Aberdare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

the hotel is in an ideal location for most of what cheltenham has to offer. very welcoming and helpful on reception. the room i booked was a small double, plenty big enough for 2 people on an overnight stay. the hotel was impeccably clean and well presented. breakfast is eaten in montys which is accessed by an internal door from the hotel, didn't eat at monty's at night, so cannot comment, breakfast was piping hot with lots of choices to choice from, very nice.
i asked for a low floor on booking and was given 114 which was on the 1st floor accessed by approx 15 steps which was fine for me, i did notice if you used a wheelchair, on arrival you could ring for assistance and a ramp would be placed for access into the hotel, very hand, also disabled spaces right outside the entrance , again very handy. overall i could not find a fault with this hotel, and would recommend it .

Room Tip: 114 first floor and to the rear, very quiet no road noise, good quality blinds curtains for a longer...
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review. I was so pleased to learn that you had a great stay and especially enjoyed breakfast. Next time you must try Monty’s for lunch or dinner.

Wheelchair access is available via portable ramps to both Monty’s and to the Hotel if required.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I would like to thank all the staff at The George for enabling me and my friends to have a fantastic and memorable weekend.
The superb position means that all amenities are in easy reach.
Our room was spacious and the bathroom was state of the art.
I will definitely visit again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review.

Your very kind comments have all been noted and passed onto everyone concerned.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
See you again soon I hope.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

The trendy George Hotel is in a perfect location, close to the centre of Cheltenham with a great variety of shops and things to do. As soon as you step through the door The George exudes both relaxation and a great vibe. The staff are polite and friendly and everything has been thought of so that there is a real attention to detail. The food is just amazing and the vegetarian breakfast was probably one of the best I have ever had. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation and will definitely be back in the future.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
I was delighted to learn that you had a great stay with us and thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review.

See you again soon I hope.

Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My overnight stay at The George was in a double room used for single person so I had plenty of room. The decor was pleasant and the room had extra items such as an iron, ironing board and fan in the generously large wardrobe.

The staff at breakfast were very attentive and the food was served quickly despite the fact that there were plenty of folks to serve.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 4everautumn
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was delighted to learn that you had such a positive experience and you were happy with everything.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Booked very last minute online and was reassured by the friendly staff when I called to confirm my booking and our arrival time. Staff were professional and most friendly, from the front desk to the room maids, bar staff, maître d and waiting staff. The front desk had great local knowledge re. bars and restaurants in town.

Location was excellent with parking in front and at the rear although the spaces were a little small for big cars. Walking onto the Promenade took a couple of minutes and couldn't be better located for proximity to the action but just far away enough for a quiet night

The room was well apportioned (the ensuite a little small however the room was advertised as such) with a comfortable bed and the normal tea/water/coffee provisions and a small tv. Being winter the room was toasty when we arrived, likewise the bar downstairs.

We ate elsewhere in the evening but the breakfast was great. Service was excellent and the food served promptly. Proper bacon and sausages and the chef knows how to get a poached egg to the table and still be perfect.

For the price I would say this is superb value for money, snobby complaints re decor and design on other tripadvisor reviews are best ignored.

I look forward to our next visit and will be recommending to friends.

(Did not use the swimming pool/fitness centre as this was off site and we were on a short trip)

mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was delighted to learn that you had a great stay and I will certainly pass on your very kind and positive comments to every concerned.
We look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully you will be able to have a longer break next time.

Owner The George Hotel & Monty's Brasserie
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 7 February 2014

The pictures on their web site really flatter the hotel, unless they are old shots. I found it aging and in need of refurbishment at best or a good lick of paint and an artful redesign at worse.
My double room was on the small side and furnished with a mix of horrid brown veneered furniture with an attempt to match it with solid wood furniture from the 70's. It completely lacked any warmth in terms of decor and design. OK, it was clean for the most part although the edge of the carpet was black as a result of years of dust collection. The bathroom was an improvement other than being incredibly small. It was clean, modern but cramped. There is nothing I can say about the room to remotely recommend it.
The Hotel has a Brasserie called Monty's where breakfast is also served. The breakfast was plentiful, but poorly presented on a greasy plate and the grilled bacon was cremated and so uneatable. The service at breakfast was no better than dinner service the night before (I reviewed dinner at Monty's separately). I sat on one of the only two occupied tables and waited ten minutes to be served, after I asked someone to take my order!
I paid £105 for my room inclusive of breakfast and to honest, I would have said it was value at £75-80, but certainly not at £105.00. It was disappointing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank bark-not-bite
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, the majority of which I was very disappointed to read. I was sorry that you felt the bedroom did not live up to your expectations. On checking your reservation, it shows that you booked a small double bedroom for 2 people through a 3rd party booking agent hence the rate of £105. The rate you would have been charged if you had booked for one person would have been £95, including bed, breakfast and vat. Our small double bedrooms are as we advertise them ‘small’, we do have 3 other larger room types and sizes available. Whatever room type you book they all enjoy the same facilities, all of which are complimentary: WiFi, parking, mineral water, bathrobes, tea and coffee, full English breakfast, DVD player and membership to Cheltenham’s Fitness First. The picture on the hotel web site, on the tariff page, under the heading of small double, is actually a photo of the bedroom that you were in.

I was sorry that you did not enjoy your experience in Monty’s, however, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the fillet of Beef and the cheese selection. Your comments about the scallops were passed onto the Chef, who would have been more than happy to have replaced them if he had been made aware of it at the time. On the Thursday evening when you dined, was the first night of the new menu, which is changed every 3 months, and we had not considered the implications of serving scallops on top of chilled tomato chutney which brought the temperature of the scallops down too quickly. Your comment meant we were able to identify and rectify this problem straight away and we have not had a similar issue. I have arranged for the cost of your scallop dish to be refunded to your credit card.

The point you raise about service and breakfast is again disappointing to read as we do normally pride ourselves on being a friendly and informal hotel and restaurant. I will certainly be bringing your comments to the attention of the staff who were on duty on the Thursday evening and Friday morning. I am sorry that you did not receive the high levels of hospitality during your stay that we are normally renowned for.

Owner/Manager