“By George it's good”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel is great for a relaxing stay or as a centre for Cheltenham and area. While fairly central we had no problem parking within 15 yards of the front entrance. Breakfast at Monty's was very good. Access to off site fitness facilities was provided, though we didn't have time on this visit to use them.

Room Tip: Not directly over Monty's on a Saturday night.
1  Thank Brian R
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post such a kind and positive review. I was delighted to learn that you had a great stay and particularly enjoyed breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future when hopefully you'll have time to visit Fitness First, which is just a short stroll from the hotel.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed at the George for one night due to attending the races. After being a little unsure when entering from the lower back entrance due to where we parked the car, we were pleasantly surprised when we reached the hotel reception. The staff could not have been more polite, friendly or helpful, even printing off a gym itinerary for my partner to attend classes the following morning.
The room we stayed in was a classic double and was spotlessly clean and very comfortable indeed. The bathroom was actually a wet room and was stunning whilst again being spotless. The seating area in the room was comfortable and perfect for watching DVDs borrowed free of charge from hotel reception.
We ordered the continental breakfast in the room on the morning that we left and it was delicious. Everything we requested was delivered and the food was of a vey good standard.
Once we checked out, we had time before walking to the racecourse and so stayed in the comfortable lounge in the reception area to have a coffee. Again, the staff were polite and friendly and we in no way felt rushed to leave, despite having checked out an hour before.
I would definitely stay here again and look forward to planning my next trip.
Only downside is no lift, which is fine when only staying for a night but would be hard to carry heavy luggage up 2 flights of stairs.

1  Thank E B

I was delighted to learn that you had a great stay and enjoyed the Races. I was especially pleased to learn that you were so happy with the hotel, staff and the level of service you received throughout your stay.

With regards to luggage, we should always offer to help with any bags - I do hope you were asked when you arrived.

I look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Owner The George Hotel & Monty's Brasserie

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed for 1 night and only 1 fault with the hotel. I have a back problem and find stairs difficult, but they have no lift. The receptionist was very helpful and found us a room with just 1 flight of stairs, but I think it would be much more of a problem for wheelchairs etc. The room was very clean, and staff were very helpful and pleasant and the hotel is just a few minutes from the shops and restaurants etc. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Be aware there is no lift.
1  Thank Lil W

Thank you for your taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. I was pleased to note that we were able to change your accommodation to a more suitable room. Being a Grade 2 * listed building we are unable to install a lift but we do have two rooms that can be reached by just one flight of stairs.

I was delighted to read that you would stay again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Owner The George Hotel & Monty's Brasserie

Reviewed 7 April 2014

stayed here for a sat night just to get away from it all for one night,kid free.booked late via booking.com and got a classic for £105 including brekkie and parking.the hotel itself is in a great place just a 5 mins walk into town or 5 mins the other way to Montpellier.the room was very good and clean and was just what we expected and checked in early which was a bonus.all the staff were very friendly and couldn't fault them.the brekkie was great all freshly cooked and there was plenty to choose from.if I did have one gripe (an it is only a small one ) the brekkie room was a bit cramped and it could do with some background music otherwise you can hear everyone's conversationbut don't let that put you of staying here and its a great little place and I would defo stop again

Room Tip: 232 classic.nice room and big enough for 2
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

I was delighted to read your review and really pleased that you liked the hotel and our great location.

When you find yourselves children free again we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We visited this Hotel after having stayed here before. In some ways it is very likeable due to its certain charm and character but the shortcomings we experienced were enough to question if we will revisit.

The main issues were the overwarm bedroom and the noise from the street.
Despite having turned off all of the radiators, the temperature (March)was still uncomfortably warm in the night, sufficient to spoil the night's sleep, and if you have poor quality sleep it tends to spoil your day. We could have opened one of the huge sash windows but as we were at the front of the Hotel the traffic noise would have kept us awake.

Also these very old windows do not have double glazing which meant we were awoken anyway as soon as the town traffic started around 6:00am.

The room was pleasant enough although the floor was very creaky and the room vibrates when you are walking about.

Same with the bathroom although the modern(cheap?) sink which holds 3 inches of water at it's deepest is an annoying waste of time.

It is just a 2 minute walk to the shops so the location is great. A redeeming feature is the connection to Monti's restaurant which has great atmosphere, service and food. Breakfast is also very good.

I suspect the Hotel may be hamstrung with planning permission which is why it has no lift and that may be why the windows have not been double glazed.

I would not want to give the impression that this hotel is unpleasant - as I said it has lots of charm, and the people on reception are friendly and helpful (no porters for the bags though). However unless it addresses the 'good night's sleep' issues it is going to put some people off, and I'm afraid that includes us.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for posting your review. I was pleased to read that there were aspects of your stay that you were happy with and I was delighted to read the comments about Monty’s. I was, however, disappointed to read about the poor night’s sleep that you had. You are quite right about planning permission, the hotel is a Grade 2* listed building which means we are rather restricted with what we are allowed to do, unfortunately this includes installing a lift, air conditioning and double glazing. The night in question was an unusually warm night for the time of year. Normally when it gets warmer all the heating in the hotel including the towel rails are turned off which does help to reduce the temperature throughout the hotel. Fans are also available in every room.
We do not have designated porters for bags but the staff are always willing to help if assistance is required and you should have been asked when you checked in if you needed help. I am sorry if this didn’t happen.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on another occasion.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Located in the centre of Cheltenham, the hotel was not just a standard hotel, it was a nice addition to my business trip and I would really like to bring my other half there! I stayed in a "small double room" room - 10 or 11, can't remember.

I understand some concerns about the size of the rooms. However, my room was callled 'small double room' (can't complain, can I???) and I found it very cosy and comfortable. I enjoyed every bit of it. The tea, coffee and cakes were of good quality so when i arrived they were perfect.

The only thing I wasn't very keen on were stomping sounds coming from upstairs in the early morning. It might have not been stomping, but creaky floor.

Breakfast - VERY YUMMY and SERVICE was EXCELLENT. It was a shame I couldn't order breakfast to my room - when I called the lady at the reception I was asked to come to the reception which was a bit of a hassle. But it is not a real issue!

You can see that the manager of the hotel cares about the guests and it is very nice.

I would recommend it to anybody going on a business trip or with a partner.

And if you are not aware of free access to the local gym (Fitness First I believe), please take this into account!

Room Tip: My room (10 or 11) was very nice for one or two people.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your very kind and positive review. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and particularly enjoyed breakfast. We do serve Continental breakfast in the bedrooms and I am sorry that this wasn't offered to you. As you mention the small doubles are our smallest bedrooms and this is reflected in the price. They do however, have 5ft beds, decent desk space, ensuite bathrooms, mineral water, bathrobes, DVD player, a safe and complimentary WiFi.

I do hope you will have another opportunity to come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed here one night with my partner whilst making a quick trip back home to visit family and friends. The service was faultlessly efficient and friendly, and our room (233) was very well-appointed. The bed was very comfy indeed and we appreciated the large bathroom with a beautiful freestanding bath and separate walk-in shower. After a very long working week in London we also very much appreciated the late check-out that was granted with no fuss and a big smile. Breakfast in Monty's was well worth getting up for; both the food and service excellent again. You can't really beat the the location either - a stone's throw from the town centre and the bars and eateries of Montpellier. I have eaten in Monty's before and it was our only regret we didn't have the time to do so on this occasion. Now the hotel have emailed me a voucher for a free room upgrade and a complimentary bottle of prosecco on booking with Monty's I have no hesitation in stating we will be back! Highly recommended, thanks to everyone at The George for a very pleasant overnight stay.

Room Tip: Room 233 is front-facing over the street and has nice views, as well as a large and very well-appoin...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

I was delighted to read your kind and positive review and thank you for taking the time to post it.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future when you can make use of your voucher and complimentary bottle of Prosecco with dinner in Monty's Brasserie.