“Good”

The George Hotel
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
“Good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed just for 1night, bedroom small so more ideally for a single person but the bed was very comfy, breakfast in the morning was very good and everyone was very nice. On the Saturday night it was very noisy so if you don't like loud noise I suggest you pick a quiet room.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind and positive review. I was delighted to read you were happy with your stay and I have passed on your lovely comments to the staff. The hotel does enjoy an enviable position being just a two minute walk into town but this sometimes means we can experience occasional noise from passers by going into town. The bedrooms at the back of the hotel are therefore quieter. When you next return we will ensure you are allocated one of these bedrooms. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Owner The George Hotel & Monty's Brasserie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Polish first
kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Spent a couple of nights at this hotel chosen because of its central location and trip advisors glowing reviews. I was expecting something rather special but this was really quite ordinary. The reception area is less than stunning and the staff seemed a bit bored, understandably as there were very few guests around. We had a pleasant enough suite which had an unpleasant smell a bit like curry. Adequately equipped with a good quality bathroom with wet room and stylish facilities although the toilet roll holder was broken and water takes for ever to heat up. The room was very hot but not easy to open large heavy sash windows which needed a good clean. We had an enjoyable and well cooked evening meal in the restaurant and the breakfast selection is not bad, more than enough for most. Our waiter was excellent, very friendly and efficient. Generally i thought the decor a bit underwhelming and the lower ground staircase and exit to the car park is filthy. Not the worst hotel i have stayed at but a million miles from the best.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wizzzzard
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for posting your review.
I was disappointed to read that we did not live up to your expectations during your recent visit. I was pleased however, that there were aspects of your stay that you were happy with like your Junior Suite and bathroom, breakfast and dinner. I was especially pleased that you were impressed with your waiter and I have passed on your kind comments. The large Regency sash windows in the bedroom, I agree are heavy, but to compensate for the Regency architecture we have put special locks in place so the windows can be opened and locked in position securely. The exterior windows are cleaned regularly by an outside cleaning company, however the last clean has been delayed as we are in the process of getting quotes to paint the exterior of the hotel and once the building has been decorated all the windows will be cleaned. I am sorry that the toilet roll holder was broken and I will ensure that this is mended straight away.
As I mentioned in a previous response, the lower ground entrance from the back car park is our main entrance for all our daily deliveries of which there are many. The back car park is generally used for staff parking. However, when the hotel and restaurant are busy we do direct guests to park there. It is something we will be looking into improving in due course.

Owner, George Hotel & Monty's Brasserie
Bedfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Spent one evening at The George on a Saturday in May. I booked twonrooms at short notice and most of the good Cheltenham hotels were either fully booked or would only take bookings for a minimum of two nights. So finding that The George was not fully booked was a blessing but also gave me slight cause for concern. I need not have worried. We arrived early and the room was already finished so we could book in early. The reception staff were very helpful and welcoming. The rooms were quite small but we booked the small rooms so were not expecting spaciousness. They were clean and well laid out. They were very warm but the window could be opened and there was a fan if needed. The bathroom was new and modern. We booked in for dinner and I was hugely impressed that they had an entire separate vegetarian menu as well as the carnivorous one. We had cocktails in the bar in the comfortable and modern cellar before dinner which were lovely. The food and service were of very good quality. Overall we loved our stay, and the location was especially good as there was free parking and only a short walk into the Montpelier area of boutique shops and cafes. We would recommend this hotel and will definitely go back again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank StanleyGBeds
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
I was delighted to read your lovely review and pleased to learn that you had a great stay and were able to dine in Monty's and enjoy cocktails in our basement bar. I was particularly pleased to see that you liked our separate Vegetarian menu which is proving very popular. We also offer dairy and gluten free menus as well and can cater for most dietary requirements..

I was glad to see that you enjoyed our great location, being just a 2 minute walk into town and with free parking means you can leave the car for the weekend and enjoy all the local attractions.

I do hope we will see you again soon.

Owner, The George Hotel & Monty's Brasserie
Lichfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed two nights. We found the staff very friendly and helpful from the time we booked (on the phone) and all through our stay. The room was of a good standard with a nice view over Cheltenham despite the fact we were at the back of the hotel. We had booked a 2 course meal in Montys brasserie as part of the package, and we thought the food was very good as was the service. There were 2 functions and live music on the Saturday evening, but this did not disturb us in the slightest. Breakfast was also served in Montys and was of a very high standard. The hotel is situated very handily for the town centre, and we are certainly considering returning and would recommend. The only drawback is the lack of a lift, but this is made very clear on the website and could be something to consider when making a booking. Overall a great weekend!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post such a kind and positive review. I was delighted to learn that you had a great stay and will hopefully be returning sometime soon.

Owner, The George Hotel & Monty's Brasserie
Scotland u.k
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Me and my wife visited yourself late april this year as was recommended by a friend and well at first I couldnt park my car as was told I would just have to wait til 1 becomes available, it took sometime for the receptionists to notice I was their after discussing what they did the day/night before they werent really welcoming.
A smelly dog behind reception that was wet and stinking wet dog yet you do not allow dogs in the hotel strange.
Room was nice how ever would I stay again I wouldnt.
The back stair case is also very dirty and not very inviting.
Breakfast in montys was good didnt do dinner as looked pricey.
The location was good but wanted to travel a bit further out but couldnt dare move the car once I had a space.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank rex195
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I do appreciate receiving any feedback and I would like to assure you that all comments are taken very seriously and are acted upon accordingly.

On a positive note I was pleased that you were happy with your bedroom and breakfast in Monty’s.

I am sorry that your arrival was disappointing for a number of reasons. We are normally commended for our high levels of customer service and especially our friendly Reception team get mentioned in reviews regularly. However, on this occasion it is certainly apparent from your comments that they weren’t offering the level of service that they should have been. I agree, it is very irritating when you arrive somewhere and you are not acknowledged – I will certainly be speaking to the team about this.

I am sorry that you had trouble parking. Although we are in the town centre, we are lucky enough to have a large number of free parking spaces. I was sorry to hear that none were available when you arrived and you should have been advised where additional parking can be found. There is a large public car park opposite the hotel and free short term parking is available on the street.

The ‘wet and smelly’ dog belongs to me and I am sorry that you found him unpleasant. You are quite correct in that we do not accept dogs in the hotel bedrooms or into the Restaurant. Oscar is normally in my office but does also spend short periods of time behind Reception, he should not be behind Reception when he is wet and smelly and this is something that we need to be much more mindful of. I am sorry the he added to your disappointment.

Your comments regarding the back stairs have been noted, this is a difficult one – I agree that if you do enter the hotel this way it does not give the best first impression. As well as guests coming in this way when parking at the back, it is also used for most of our deliveries, of which there are many. It is difficult to maintain a smart looking back entrance with numerous delivery trolleys coming through daily. Your comments though have, prompted me to look at it with fresh eyes.

I am sorry that your stay was memorable for all the wrong reasons but you can rest assured that we will be making some changes.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We used the private room (back one) for a private party and most of us also stayed over. The room ambience was perfect, the staff was attentive but not intrusive. All of our guests felt very welcome. The food was delicious. Thank you for making our special day memorable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
I was delighted to read your lovely kind and positive review about your recent private party in The Montpellier Room. It was great to hear that you all had a good time and enjoyed everything about the private dining experience.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Owner
Kent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Stop over for one night with a group on business. Perked my car in the hotel car park at ther rear and entered the hotel from the car park which instantly gave me the wrong impression via a scruffy stairway. The room was well appointed and clean and good value at £110. We all had dinner at Montys where the service and quality of food was really good. Highly recommend The George Hotel for business or pleasure.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for posting a kind review about the hotel and also for writing a very positive review on the Restaurant Trip Advisor site regarding Monty's Brasserie.

I am pleased you liked the bedroom and found it to be good value and especially pleased you had a great meal in Monty's. Your comments regarding the entrance from the back car park have been noted and I do agree that if you have to park at the back which isn't always ideal you do have to enter the hotel through the door and corridor that is used for all our deliveries, of which there are many on a daily basis. We have, in the past, tried different ways to improve it and perhaps we now need to have another think.

I do appreciate receiving your comments and feedback all of which are taken seriously.