“Great Weekend”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I had the good fortune of having my suprise birthday party at "Montys" cocktail bar in the George Hotel. The venue was perfect, easily accomodating my 70 guests and was complimented with an outstanding selection of hot delicious party food. My fiancee treated me to a three night stay at the Hotel which I could not fault. The breakfast was superb as was the evening meal in Montys Restaurant.The staff could not have been more helpful and contributed to making my birthday weekend one that I will always remember. The bedrroom was large and comfortable with a full range of amenities available and the hotel was convieniently located to the town centre. I would thoroughly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We have just returned from a weekend at the George Hotel. We received a friendly greeting from the receptionist who mentioned the lack of lift and offered to help with our luggage. As the website and others mentioned, there is no lift. (The stairs are quite steep and narrow)We had room 230 on the second floor facing the rear of the hotel and so very little noise. The room was large, and the bed huge. While the hotel boasts of a refubr we felt it was just a little beige. The room contained a dark wooden wardrobe, and plenty of draws, and a small seating area with a TV (far too small for the room) in the corner (not a concern for me, we weren’t in town to watch telly) The hotel have high ceilings and so large walls, and apart from a couple of prints the walls were bare. We felt more could have been made of the space, shelves, art or something. The same could be said of the bathroom which again was large, but functional with a shower over the bath. (The water pressure was low, but the water hot) Again more could have been made of the space, walk in shower or corner bath or something to take it to the next level. The bed was huge, and very comfortable. Best nights sleep in a hotel for a long time!
Breakfast is served in Monty’s and is a laid back affair with a good selection of cereal, juice and pastries. The cooked breakfast (choice of full English, Vegetarian, Kippers, Haddock) was very good and again much better then we have had elsewhere and cooked to order. Waiting staff were a bit dozy not checking how my partner wanted her eggs cooked (she asked me but not her) and not that great at serving (nearly dropped items on my partner both mornings, still it was early) and I had the same dirty tea cup both mornings (attention to detail) The only other minor observation was the housekeeping trolley that was always left in the corridor near the stairs, making it quite difficult to pass, (and may be an issue in an emergency)
Overall a decent comfortable hotel, close to town , would stay here again!
NB The hotel is on St Georges Road, our Sat Nav took us to Royal Well Lane, and while there is parking at the rear it is obviously easier to park at the front.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the rear, very little traffic noise
Reviewed 10 August 2014

If Regency is what you want for your visit then this is perfect! Very good location in the centre of the town within easy walking distance of the promenade & the even nicer Montpellier area.
I had a 'Superior' room which was of a very adequate size, clean and modern with a good sized bathroom. My room was on the second floor and at the front. Being in the town this obviously meant some noise, but it was not too intrusive and if you need quiet, it may be worth requesting a room at the back.
Dinner in Monty's restaurant was really enjoyable, it has a nice relaxed atmosphere; good food which was perfectly cooked, nicely presented and attentively served. Breakfast was top quality and is absolutely not to be missed.
Top marks to all of the staff I met. I found them all to be friendly, attentive and helpful with a good degree of local knowledge.
I'm pleased to report that 'Oscar the Dog' is back in his rightful place behind reception, and a very well behaved animal he is!

Room Tip: Some noise at the front. Long way up the stairs to the second floor, may be best to ask for a first...
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We booked this hotel at very short notice having been let down elsewhere. The hotel is very comfortable and friendly, and although no aircon you can open windows; it was quiet despite its central location. The car park is small but I had no trouble fitting a Volvo estate in, and there is a public car park immediately opposite across the road. The breakfasts are superb with a buffet just for juices and cereals etc, coffee tea toast and cooked items are done to individual order. None of this buffet for hot food that many other larger hotels adopt (horrible!)

We did not try Monty's Brasserie for dinner; the menu does look as if it would satisfy most tastes.

I would recommend this hotel, and would stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the hotel away from the road
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The hotel is not perfect-very hot with no air con and the parking is a bit hit and miss-but I must mention the breakfast which was as good as any I have tasted in many years in the tourist industry.All the ingredients were top quality and cooked beautifully to order.If you leave without trying the Old Spot sausages you will regret it for evermore!

Room Tip: We had 113 which was fine but in the front and possibly noisy(although we slept like logs.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Firstly, great parking facilities for central Cheltenham. Reception staff so helpful & friendly. We arrived early & nothing was too much trouble. It was my birthday so the hotel upgraded us to a very spacious superior double room. Our remaining 3 couples were very happy with their rooms. Breakfast was excellent, we also ate in monty's restaurant which was superb. We took advantage of the Friday fizz deal which didn't disappoint. I would suggest this hotel is excellent value for money & the refurbishment has made an impressive enhancement. The location is perfect for the promenade & the ever popular Montpellier area. Thanks to all staff .... Note to self .... Avoid cocktail bar next time as so dangerous!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here en route to another destination. We adore Cheltenham which made our choice even better due to its central location and car park. Helpful staff and what more could a girl want - a cocktail bar and restaurant adjacent. Great food and drink, wonderful atmosphere. My only disappointment............I was hoping to see a lovely dog behind reception though unfortunately some miserable person had mentioned him negatively in their review - BRING HIM BACK - most people wouldn't mind after all he isn't lying on their beds or drinking their mojito's!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple