“Shocked”
Review of Crazy Eights

Crazy Eights
Reserve with OpenTable
Crazy Eights is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #220 of 446 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Herefordshire
“Shocked”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

It isn't often that I review however I felt that this placed deserved a few lines from me, I can safely say that I was shocked to read some reviews that I have seen on here.

I had heard about it from a family friend and proceeded to book a table which I found very welcoming and they tried hard too find space to accommodate me in what was a very busy Saturday night.

Moving on to the evening itself, upon arrival once again the staff were very pleasant and couldn't of been more helpful throughout the whole night. The drinks were expensive but felt justified, the atmosphere was spot on and the food was some of the best I have come across and not actually that badly priced.

I was overall very happy with the whole experience as was my partner in crime for the night and I would strongly recommend it for anyone looking for something a little bit different.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Chris C

“Lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

we have only been for drinks buts the staff are helpful and its prime location for a few drinks and some people watching in nice surroundings. Lovely wine list and nice draught cider.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank 01Lori
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Beware ordering cocktails off-menu”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I was inclined to like this bar initially, though it hovers right on the border between 'stylish' and 'pretentious' and on the Friday night we visited was crammed with poseurs.

It has a well-stocked bar with a great range of quality spirits and an interesting cocktail menu with prices around the £12 mark. There was no section on it offering classics though, so I asked the barman if it was possible for me to have a vodka martini.

He said yes, made it for me, then rang it up along with my husband's G&T and asked us for £25.

We asked how that broke down, and he said the martini was NINETEEN POUNDS FIFTY. Bear in mind that on the menu, even the champagne cocktails were only going for about the £13 mark. The price even flustered the barman, who asked his colleague if he'd done something wrong, to which his colleague said no, then turned to us and said 'You've got 75ml of vodka there', before walking off.

I may have 'had 75ml of vodka there', but I could have 75ml of vodka for £12 at the Daffodil, along with some of the friendliest, most knowledgeable barmen in town. They'll even bring it to your table, rather than charging you nearly twenty pounds without warning and then telling you to do one if you complain.

The double whammy of being ripped off and then dismissed has soured my opinion of Crazy Eights. Can't say I'll be back to cram more money into their pockets.

• Visited July 2014
5 Thank linoprint
Kenilworth, Warks
“Lunch in the sun! Very nice”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Stumbled across this place whilst out shopping, initially popped in for drink. We found the service to be fine , the waitress was polite and promptly sat us outside in the sun. We had a very nice hr or so, shared a main as weren't particular hungry, the food we had was very good. Very surprised it gets such bad feedback as venue decor and food were excellent. I asked the waitress about the feedback and she said they try really hard but sometimes people don't raise issues there and then and wait to get him before complaining. Id revisit here to give them a go at night. Maybe it doesn't suit everyone as the clientele seemed rather high brow which is probably what drives the high prices , just an observation ....

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Disappointing service simply trying to book a table”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I have eaten here once when the place first opened and I completely agree with most of the reviews - it is mediocre and the service poor. Whilst they have tried to create a boutique establishment, to me the decor has been poorly finished. That aside, I attempted to give them the benefit of the doubt (as it was very new when we last went) and book a table in the bar for this Saturday. Initially I was told this was fine, but as I specifically told them we wouldn't be eating I confirmed again that this was the case, I was then told it wasn't possible to reserve a table just for drinks, so I replied and said we would eat (there are some nice looking light bites on the menu), I was then informed that all the tables were now full due to a last minute party booking. Whilst I understand that a party booking is worth more to them than a table for 3, it is just completely unacceptable that my reservation has been brushed aside. This is not at all the kind of service you expect from a venue that claims to have such high standards. I will not visit this venue again, there are a tonne of places in Cheltenham which outshine Crazy Eights a hundred times over. What I also find interesting is that out of all these bad reviews not one has had a response from a representative of the company. Incidentally I have not had a response to my complaint email. I think that speaks volumes.

3 Thank EmMac1812