“Nice, chilled atmosphere”
Review of Crazy Eights

Crazy Eights
Reserve with OpenTable
Crazy Eights is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #189 of 481 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I bought friends in here for a post-meal drink and night cap. I have been before for my partners 40th birthday for a drink and thought my friends would like it too. I was not wrong!

It is situated opposite gardens, adjacent to the Queens Hotel and it is a splendid building. It oozes class and style which really gives it a niche market in the town as many of the bars are full of people who are fast-paced drinking and booming house music - so it makes a nice change to be in an establishment where it is simply not appealing to them.

We walked through the patio and round the side to be met with a lovely outside seating area complete with patio heaters. We got to the bar and was served in about 5 minutes. The service here is notoriously slow but it was not too bad at 10pm and I am not out for fast paced drinking, I would rather take it easy and enjoy the surroundings and atmosphere. Inside there is seating, I particularly like it at the far end where there is like a snug, a nice place where you can sit and drink and chat with the people you are with. The music was very chilled creating a great atmosphere.

We had no trouble finding a seat outside and sat for our nightcap drinking and happily chatting in very pleasant surroundings.

1  Thank VODKALIMEANDSODA

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I had heard great things about Crazy Eights, so was really looking forward to having lunch with friends. The food was imaginative, well prepared and nicely presented - but a little over-priced. The staff were courteous and efficient, the tables were well spaced and well appointed with plenty of room for al fresco dining. I will certainly return and would happily go with friends and business colleagues. A little too expensive for family dining.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

It isn't often that I review however I felt that this placed deserved a few lines from me, I can safely say that I was shocked to read some reviews that I have seen on here.

I had heard about it from a family friend and proceeded to book a table which I found very welcoming and they tried hard too find space to accommodate me in what was a very busy Saturday night.

Moving on to the evening itself, upon arrival once again the staff were very pleasant and couldn't of been more helpful throughout the whole night. The drinks were expensive but felt justified, the atmosphere was spot on and the food was some of the best I have come across and not actually that badly priced.

I was overall very happy with the whole experience as was my partner in crime for the night and I would strongly recommend it for anyone looking for something a little bit different.

1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 24 July 2014

we have only been for drinks buts the staff are helpful and its prime location for a few drinks and some people watching in nice surroundings. Lovely wine list and nice draught cider.

1  Thank Lori S
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I was inclined to like this bar initially, though it hovers right on the border between 'stylish' and 'pretentious' and on the Friday night we visited was crammed with poseurs.

It has a well-stocked bar with a great range of quality spirits and an interesting cocktail menu with prices around the £12 mark. There was no section on it offering classics though, so I asked the barman if it was possible for me to have a vodka martini.

He said yes, made it for me, then rang it up along with my husband's G&T and asked us for £25.

We asked how that broke down, and he said the martini was NINETEEN POUNDS FIFTY. Bear in mind that on the menu, even the champagne cocktails were only going for about the £13 mark. The price even flustered the barman, who asked his colleague if he'd done something wrong, to which his colleague said no, then turned to us and said 'You've got 75ml of vodka there', before walking off.

I may have 'had 75ml of vodka there', but I could have 75ml of vodka for £12 at the Daffodil, along with some of the friendliest, most knowledgeable barmen in town. They'll even bring it to your table, rather than charging you nearly twenty pounds without warning and then telling you to do one if you complain.

The double whammy of being ripped off and then dismissed has soured my opinion of Crazy Eights. Can't say I'll be back to cram more money into their pockets.

5  Thank linoprint