“Fabulous hotel”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hotel”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

A beautiful and stylish hotel combining traditional and modern decor of a very high standard. Rooms and lounge/eating areas are exceptional with a luxurious feel. There were some service issues such as corked wine and forgotten breakfast to the room but the good outweighed the bad. The basement bar served lovely cocktails and food with a great open roof. We stayed 2 nights and the first evening was in a room which was boiling hot and we couldn't sleep, also I requested a bath and there was only a shower (lovely shower room though). The staff were happy to move us for our second night which was marginally cooler and had a fabulous bath in the room as well as a shower room (still in the attic so still warm). The rooms were very luxurious with beautiful products/linen/furnishings. I think the staff still need some tweaking so that there are no errors in the service, there seemed to be a lot of staff but they need to be more efficient in order for the hotel to reach its full potential.

Room Tip: The loft rooms were very warm with only a small fan.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Cheltenham UK
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Great location and quite likely to impress on first appearances but it really is not good value for money. Filled with the local WAGs at the weekend and not sure what it wants to be. Everything is just expensive. Served by very inexperienced staff all dressed in SuperDry clobber who just go through the motions. Only restaurant in town with security dressed liked 80's bouncers which is a little off putting considering you will spend £250 on a table for 4.
But as a playground for the local nearly who's who it probably serves a purpose.

• Stayed January 2014
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The thought that has gone into 131 is amazing, the rooms have some lovely features. We were in one of the mid range rooms (10) and it had a beautiful bath in the room and a separate bathroom, amazing products and all the linens, towels, robes etc were lovely. Sky, Apple TV and the media system are a nice touch, as are the rare tea company and nespresso facilities. They even did a turn down service leaving homemade cookies, a warm flask of milk and chocolate dipping sticks. Then in the morning a tray arrived before breakfast with some juice and mini pastries which were lovely.

We ate in the restaurant and it was really good food and great service with a glass of prosseco arriving complementary for my birthday (couldn't even remember mentioning it!). I do think it was value for money.

There is one really unfortunate flaw in the accommodation which I see has been raised before. The room although beautiful was unbearably hot. There were two fans which had to be kept on constantly providing a nice racket in an otherwise lovely environment. Windows wide open, fans on and there was still no need to use the lovely linens as it was too hot to even get under the covers. We couldn't sleep. My partner woke at one point needing to squeeze onto my side of the bed as his was in a huge puddle of sweat. Within minutes of enjoying the lovely shower and trying to get dressed we were sweating and in need of another shower. Where we would have normally sat and enjoyed a drink in the room before dinner we couldn't bear the heat. The receptionist was really sympathetic and explained that she didn't think anything could be done owing to the building being listed, but there needs to be a solution. We live locally, and came home and had showers and naps having not slept.

It is such a huge shame as this could have easily been the nicest hotel I've stayed in. But regardless of the effort and time that goes into the room and service, I wouldn't return to not sleep, be disturbed by the constant drone of fans and struggle even to get ready or do makeup.

Room Tip: Apparently all rooms are very hot but ours, number 10 and 11 opposite were at the top of the buildin...
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Went to 131 for a very belated anniversary dinner - we booked it as 2 of the restaurants we would have liked to go don't open on a Monday. Having looked at the menu briefly on line it sounded good.

It was busy for a Monday night which I was pleased about as I prefer an atmosphere than an empty place. Are table was booked for 8pm and we turned up at 8pm... We were offered to have a drink at the bar or go straight to the table, we opted for our table, the lady who took us through was very accommodating and moved some tables around so weren't sat on top of another couple, so we waited at the bar briefly. My husband wanted a cider, they only appeared to have one and they had run out, due to a busy weekend?
We went to our table and were given the right amount of time to read and choose.
My husband ordered the pigeon to start and this was over cooked so he was a bit disappointed. I had the devilled crab on toast which was nice, but for a starter it was a thick piece of granary and I felt quite a lot to get through.
My husband had 1/2 a lobster with duck fat French fries, samphire, and bone marrow all of which was lovely I had the Steak Tartare with beef dripping chips... The steak tartare was good and it came with 4 slices of Melba toast, after I started I was brought another 2 slices if chunky toast, there is only so much bread some, one can eat and it was too much.
My husband had the sorbet for pud, he was offered mango, coconut or berry, he ordered the mango and coconut but the waitress had to come back and say there was no coconut it was strawberry (lack of communication from kitchen to front of house staff).
The reason I have given this an average rating is because they are presenting themselves very high end and their prices reflect this, I just don't think they've got there yet... I expected more.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth G
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We recently stayed at 131 as a family with our two children aged 3 and 8 years. We could have stayed as a couple, but family time is so precious we thought we'd enjoy the experience altogether. I was a little apprehensive that the hotel would be comfortable having 2 over excited children to stay and from the moment we arrived the hotel team couldn't have done more for us. The room was beautiful and perfect for a family of 4 - the attention to detail was outstanding and we all loved the hot chocolate on turndown! They really have thought of everything from toiletries, mini bar to in-room reading. Breakfast was superb and plenty on offer for us all to enjoy. We went for dinner at The Tavern (also owned by the group) which was fun, vibrant, friendly with delicious food - we enjoyed the stroll in Imperial gardens before heading back to the hotel. We all loved our stay and have no hesitation in recommending it for business, pleasure and to families and friends!

Room Tip: They are all beautiful - some have baths in the bedroom!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I like to have a night away now and then in a nice hotel with a decent restaurant. This place certainly ticked all the boxes and I would thoroughly recommend it.
The decor is amazing and there is huge attention to detail that just goes that extra mile. Our room had an enormous bed, Apple TV, I pod dock as well as gorgeous toiletries. The bathroom had a huge bath and a lovely walk in shower.
The hotel is located a short walk from the lovely shops so after a bit of retail therapy we headed down to Crazy Eights (the bar) for an afternoon tipple. We sat out in the sunshine and soaked up the calm atmosphere. Very relaxing. I had a small bruschetta with goats cheese, beetroot and walnut which was delicious.
We had pre dinner drinks at the bar which (the barman talked us through the menu and offered some ideas and seemed to know his stuff). We had a delicious dinner (both had steaks) and although the restaurant was heaving (Saturday night) the service was good. Post dinner drinks at the bar took a little longer to come but were then offered on the house due to the slight delay. Can't really fault that!
Breakfast the next morning was delicious again with a good spread of meats, cheese. cereals,juice and toast all included in the room rate. I especially loved the farm butter individually wrapped - proper butter! Cooked breakfast was extra but worth it.
Staff were attentive, the hotel has a laid back "boutique" feel and I have to say it was one of the nicest nights away for a very long time.
This stay was not cheap - if I'd wanted cheap I would have gone somewhere else. Well worth it.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Hotel has been done to a high standard, that is all I can say about it.

We booked a cosy room this was in the attic and during the warm weather first night the heat was unbearable no sleep at all we complained and second night we had an extra fan in the room the noise of the second fan coupled with the first fan was so loud we did not sleep that night two nights and no sleep.

We ate in the hotel the food was good but the staff charged us for extra drinks we did not have and nobody in the company was drinking, my daughter has an 8 month baby and wanted to change her nappy she was shown into the disabled toilet and said she could change her on the floor with no cover this is not acceptable.

Room Tip: Attic rooms no good in hot weather.
5 Thank Steve F