“Large room in central location”

The Big Sleep Hotel Cheltenham
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We had a fantastic stay!!!
Massive bed,large room,bath with shower,tv with sky sports, central location,near all the local shops,main high street and nightlife!!!...
Also took advantage of the free fitness first pass!... Also on arrival you get discount off local restaurants and nightclubs!... Well worth £69...!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Stellaski
TBSH G, Manager at The Big Sleep Hotel Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel, Cheltenham. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you again for taking your time to leave a review.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

this hotel is convenient to the centre of Cheltenham, comfortable, very basic but not particularly clean.
There is very limited parking but you need to check in as near to 3pm as possible for any chance of a (very small) space.
We had what was described as the quietist room - -top floor at the back - but on a Saturday night with all the near by clubs and pubs it is very noisey. You won't get any sleep at all until at least 4am - -therefore avoid unless you are going clubbing yourself.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 August 2011

A very conveniently located modern, quiet, secure back street hotel, a minute from the centre of Cheltenham. Excellent value for money on non-refundable £55 deal (watch this if you book through Expedia, booking details far from clear). Very clean, bright and comfortable with good buffet breakfast. Reasonable secure garage parking at £5/night - limited space. En-suite room very bright and clean looking with everything you need - flock curtains are a bit odd and a privacy blind/curtain would not go amiss! Good service, pleasant welcoming staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dandms11

Reviewed 26 July 2011

I'm not sure what John Malkovich really has to do with this place, but it was surreal to see his photo as I came out of the reception toilet. I believe he knows the owners or something... The receptionist did try to explain but I don't think he really knew either.

This is a budget hotel, and was clean, reasonably comfortable and appeared well maintained. It is ideally located for Cheltenham town centre and you are literally a stones throw from all the shops and amenities.

We stayed from the Friday until Sunday in a standard double room.

Parking - My main concern driving down from London was the parking situation, as when I had called in advance, there was no guarantee there would be a parking space available. We arrived at 11:30 am on the Friday and was able to park in the underground car park with no problem at all. I would imagine that this isn't the case the nearer you get to 3pm, and nigh on impossible after 3pm. The spaces are a little tight so be prepared if it is a little full and you have a wide-ish vehicle to park. You will have to a pay an extra £1 per hour on top of the standard £5 parking charge for every hour prior to 3pm check-in, which wasn't mentioned on the website. In these financially tough times, I guess they have to get money from whatever angle they can but given the high rate for parking fees in Cheltenham I was happy just to pay the extra £3.50. There is a lift going up from the basement car park to all 4 floors which was a godsend with heavy luggage.

Check-In - We had paid for the room online in advance which meant that the 3pm check-in was fairly quick and easy. We turned up at 2:50pm and the receptionist was a little reticent about letting our room to us (as he didn't think they were ready yet). However a phonecall later revealed that we could have our room which was on the third floor at the rear of the hotel overlooking a backstreet. There is a debit/credit card charge if paying by card on the day of check-in so my advice would be either book in advance online or take cash. There is a cash machine within walking distance on the high street.

Room - We had a standard double room with a key card entry. Amenities are basic as you would expect.

On the positive side, it was fairly clean and felt fresh. The bedding was warm and the bed was soft. The bathroom had plenty of clean towels and a good sized bath with shower and the towel rail was heated. The TV had a few basic freeview channels an there were tea & coffee making facilities.

On the negative side, the bath took an age to empty becuase of the large amount of matted hair stuck deep in the plug hole. Even after I managed to remove a large clump, it was still taking a long while to empty. Be warned - the bathroom door was a frosted glass sliding door which looks great but blocks out no sounds from the bathroom whatsoever. Every splash and plop can be heard. Not ideal if your in a new relationship and not wanting to burst any bubbles!

Breakfast - There is a range of food items on offer (cereals, Danish pastries, criossants, toast, sausages, bacon, hard-boiled eggs) and drinks (orange/apple juice, milk, tea & coffee) and it was all plentifully stocked and well presented. I couldn't fault it at all. I would have loved some Marmite though...

Finally, and I know this isn't in the control of the hotel, but I though I should mention it - gulls. The room was obviously warm in July (no air con) so to ventilate you have to open the windows. However this of course means that the sounds from outside get inside, including the several dozen or so screeching gulls perched on nearby roof tops. I am a bird lover (paid up member of RSPB) but I would have given my eye-teeth for an air-rifle at 5am on Sunday morning. To scare them away of course...

All-in-all though, a relaxing and pleasant stay in a hotel that is very well located for the town centre and all it has to offer. If you're visiting Cheltenham, I would definitely consider The Big Sleep as a viable option.

Room Tip: Try and get to the hotel as close to 3pm as possible to secure a room at the rear.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank p199132

Reviewed 19 July 2011

Having heard positive things about the Big Sleep in Cardiff (where we live) I thought the Big Sleep in Cheltenham would be a nice option for an overnight stay whilst in town for a friend’s wedding. Our first impressions were good, the hotel is in a central location and there’s overnight parking underneath the hotel. The staff at reception were friendly and the hotel breakfast room bright and colourful with Orla Kiely wallpaper. Our room was ok, but not really much better than a Travelodge or Premier Inn…just with patterned wallpaper and ‘funky’ furniture, but the bathroom was really clean. It’s a shame there are no blinds at the window, so you either had to have the big wooly curtains open (they looked and smelt like sheep!) and risk being seen changing by the house opposite, or get ready in a cave-like room! The hotel seemed to be a popular choice for hen parties and I can see why, but there is a nightclub nearby that played music until the early hours so not great if you need a good night’s sleep. With just a little bit more thought about what guests need from a hotel, rather then just focusing on the décor this could be a much better hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KeenTraveller16

Reviewed 1 July 2011

This was our second stay at the Big Sleep and we weren't disappointed - much better than it's 'budget' rivals. Fab central location with everything within close proximity. Rooms are spacious and brightly decorated. My only 2 issues are: 1. not all buttons worked on the tv remote (both stays) 2. I left my phone charger in the room, 3 phone calls to the hotel and no-one called me back and I've now been told it mysteriously hasn't been found. Therefore I'd recommend locking all valuables in the safe if housekeeping cannot be trusted with a phone charger! Working in the hotel industry this is the first time a phone charger has never been found and returned to me

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank applejus

Reviewed 29 June 2011

This is a no-frills hotel that is pretty comfortable. The rooms are a good size, as are the bathrooms, the shower was effective, the bed was fine, the bedding very good and the windows opened. It's smack in the middle of the town, too. There's no air con, and the first night was quite warm - so reception helpfully sent up a fan, which was appreciated. Breakfast is included in the low price, and includes cereals, yoghurt and a basic cooked breakfast - not wonderful, but fine. We were there in the week and the hotel was empty-ish, so the breakfast room was also empty. There's a £5 a night charge to park the car in their garage -again, this was fairly empty. Things might well be different at the weekend - when there might be more street noise too. We'd stay again.

Room Tip: At the end of the corridor away from the lifts
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Londoner77

We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise.

I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.