On arrival the receptionist was friendly and helpful and sorted out car parking in their underground car park. There are 29 spaces available on a first come first served basis at a cost of £5 per night. If you move your car, you might lose your space. You can also leave your car there at a cost of £1 an hour after check out - a bargain compared to street parking costs!
Our room on the third floor was spacious and clean. The curtains which have been mentioned previously are odd to the say the least but the furniture was funky and it was different than the usual bog standard hotel room. The bathroom was reasonably clean but soap scum around the bath let it down - this is a hard water area and as we used to live in the town we know it can be a problem but it is easily resolved and should have been. The bed linen was spotless and the bed reasonably comfy.
Noise was a bit irritating but the website does mention it so you are warned beforehand. Bars and clubs are close by and people were shouting in the street at closing times. The other problem is the door which separates the bedroom corridor from the stairs. It is locked and a key card is needed to open it (great idea for security) but it being opened and allowed to slam shut by other guests drove us crazy especially the girl hammering on the door at 2am as she had forgotten her key card. Nothing the hotel can do but my advice would be ask for a room at the far end of the corridor away from this door and hopefully you will not be disturbed.
Breakfast was included in the £49 room charge and was a lovely surprise. We'd expected cereal and toast but there was also pastries, croissants, hot food, juices, hot drinks and fresh fruit. There was plenty available and the quality was good. Much better than a lot of high end hotels we've stayed in.
This hotel is a great place to stay if you are visiting the Cheltenham area for a couple of nights - any more and the street noise would start to grate - unless you are visiting the bars etc yourself!! We would definitely stay there again before other buget hotels in the area
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Citrus Hotel Cheltenham is located in the Centre of Cheltenham. The hotel offers a choice of 59 bedrooms, 2 meeting rooms, and on-site Bar and Restaurant. We offer great value for money, great customer service, innovative design and an exciting experience away from home – whether you’re visiting us for business or leisure. The Citrus Hotel, Cheltenham prides itself on being simple and very modern, with a wide range of bedrooms and suites at different prices to suit everyone – from the businessman or overseas traveler to families looking for a well deserved short break. Check out our great value short break offers and promotions – available to book direct. All bedrooms have flat screen TVs, broadband access*, WiFi*, room safes, hairdryers, complimentary tea and coffee making facilities, and the latest technology in inter-floor personal security. The Citrus Hotel, Cheltenham is dog-friendly and charges apply, please contact the hotel for details. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Citrus Hotel Cheltenham By Compass Hospitality (Formerly The Big Sleep Hotel) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Big Sleep Hotel Cheltenham
- Big Sleep Cheltenham
- Big Sleep Hotel Cheltenham