“The Big 'Not' sleep hotel”

The Big Sleep Hotel Cheltenham
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“The Big 'Not' sleep hotel”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nightsl because I attended a course and was warned that parking was a problem, so I chose a hotel within walking distance of the course .

When I arrived I was greeted by a very friendly and helpful young man, I thought that I had chosen wisely! How wrong could I be.

The hotel was attempting to portray a trendy hip modern style but this was done on a budget and cheap things don't last. The whole place looked as if a good deep clean would not go amiss. The corridors are dark and dingy the rooms are noisy and due to location are overlooked by offices all around. The room itself was very tacky especially the blue fur curtains which I left open as I really did not like the look or feel of them goodness knows how much dust was in them.

The bathroom had a pleasant floor, however the designer had chosen to go up the side of the bath with it and it had sagged, not a good look. The closet did not have doors and the hanging area was too short for a knee length dress.

I tried in vain to make the safe work and failed on many attempts even with help from the staff, I gave up in the end.

The T.V was too small and the chill area did not contain the expected fridge even though it was labeled chill. Apparently that was just for show.

The bath towel had a huge knotted hair ball entwined in it which I had to cut out. There was mould on the windows and around the bath. The Capet and the bed had long hairs on and mine is short.

The bed was sooooo cheap every coil could be felt and heard, I actually slept on top of the duvet to try and sleep.

The general atmosphere was completely draining and I could not get away from there fast enough.

The only good thing was the staff who although sparse on the ground were all friendly and helpful.

Overall a cheap and unpleasant hotel. The actual cost was higher than both premier in and travel lodge both of which are better quality than this.

I will try and add the pictures I took so that you can see for yourself.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, if you actually want some sleep.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dawn T
TBSH G, Manager at The Big Sleep Hotel Cheltenham, responded to this review, 30 March 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel, Cheltenham. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am sorry to read that your stay was not to your liking and that you did not enjoy elements of your stay with us. Thank you again for taking your time to leave a review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed for four nights in this budget hotel. Delivered more than I expected. Very clean roms and a bright pleasant breakfast area with good range of items on the buffet. Very pleasant and helpful staff. Right in centre of Cheltenham so it is a little noisy at night as there are lots of clubs nearby.

Room Tip: You can park for free on the street between 8pm and 8am. Rooms at front of hotel might have been qui...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank soobie2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel, Cheltenham. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed elements of your stay with us. Thank you again for taking your time to leave a review.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Well, the price was cheap - I wasn't expecting a brass band or rose petals on the bed. But this was a real, bargain hotels - much better than Travelodge or other basic hotels.

We got a deal for £30, combined with the £6 for parking it wasn't anything to complain about. Beds were big, rooms were clean - the reception was so friendly! They gave us maps around Cheltenham and free hot chocolate. Mmmm. The breakfast area was big and modern, not bad but slightly cold. They served cinnamon swirls. I had 6. No one gave me a dirty look. I love this hotel, if I go back to Cheltenham this will definitely be where I stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jess M
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed here due to the central location. It's a down to earth, clean and honest hotel. Friendly staff. Though it did remind me of a youth hostel, ok for the price I suppose. £6 to park overnight was surprising but limited on spaces.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Captainatkinson
We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise.

I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed for 1 night on 18th August with 19 year old daughter in adjoining room. £70 for 2 rooms including a buffet style breakfast - can't be bad, even if the brekky is on the basic side.
The hotel is quirky but to be honest we liked that. The rooms are comfortable and a good size but the beds are not all that comfy. The bathroom is excellent.
The location is great. Literally a 1 minute stroll into the centre of Town. 15 minutes from Montpellier.
Car parking in the secure underground car park is good for £6 all night but get there early as space is very limited.
All in all great value for money.
Enjoy the furry curtains!!!

Room Tip: Windows are single glazed so even with them closed you can hear everything outside; albeit the hotel...
Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Loobyloo126
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Big Sleep for a Hen Do. The hotel was 'fine'. The rooms were clean, apart from the hideous furry curtains that seem to attract dust...having said that they do block out the light well. The hairdryer was rubbish - wish I'd brought my own. Our room was at the front of the building so heard plenty of drunken fights and the constant sound of seagulls...would not recommend rooms at the front of the building for good sleep.The carpark was small, and full whilst we were here, so we weren't able to use it.. compared to the carparks around the hotel the £6 fee was reasonable. Breakfast is a buffet...pastries, sausage, cold boiled eggs, bacon, cereals, fruit, yogurt and toast...I was pleased with the amount of choice. The bar is 24 hours, but on the Friday night had no vodka, and even though it is 24 hours, don't expect to get served quickly. The hotel is in a great location for activities in town.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Jo E
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Room only cost £39 a night (breakfast included) but was perfect if all you need is a clean, tidy, good location place to stay for the night.
Note: if you want to park a car, it costs an extra £6 a night.
Breakfast was buffet.
Efficient service.
Room was 'modern chic' with furry curtains!
We were using it simply as a base for a night stop over and was perfect for that.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple