“A good sleep wish i could have stayed longer in the suite”

The Big Sleep Hotel Cheltenham By Compass Hospitality
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I stayed one night in the suite with my Girlfriend and it was what we expected and more for what we paid :) lovely deep bath nice and big, a rain shower and a huge bed not so much of a view but it was nice and relaxing. breakfast was what you expect in a hotel cereal, fruit, pastry's etc and a pleasant reception

Room Tip: Suite all the way we also stayed in a budget room which is called a budget room for a reason...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe H
TBSH G, Manager at The Big Sleep Hotel Cheltenham By Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel, Cheltenham. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed elements of your stay with us. Thank you again for taking your time to leave a review.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

The plus points here were a good location and the idea of this hotel is fine but it has really seen better days. If you are going for a "no frills but fun" approach then the place needs to be clean and fresh, but this place is seriously battered and my room was not very clean, unfortunately. Staff were OK, and there was a LOVELY guy on reception this morning but the rest of the staff look a bit depressed, and no wonder as the first impression as you walk in is grubby, grey and a bit down at heel. The windows in my room were filthy, chunks had been knocked out of the desk and the beds are flat and like a student dorm, and the vibe of this place is just slightly "rough". The ironing boards in the hallway are so burnt and knackered that I am amazed anyone would touch them, let alone iron a shirt on them. Breakfast is just about OK but very cheap and not cheerful, and the whole breakfast room needs a lick of paint. Sorry not to be able to post a more positive review, as this sort of place usually suits me just fine, but ultimately - YUCK! All this for £60 for a Monday night. Had it been £39.99 I might have been a bit kinder!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel, Cheltenham. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am sorry to read that your stay was not to your liking and that you did not enjoy elements of your stay with us. Thank you again for taking your time to leave a review.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Ok so to start off, I stayed here as a freebie after my disgusting stay at the Big Sleep, Cardiff. Had the executive suite by way as a sorry so can't really comment on the standard rooms. However.... It's clean, its fresh, the reception staff were polite and helpful, breakfast was basic but plenty there (toast, pastries, yoghurts, bacon, sausage etc etc) the staff continually cleaned the food areas and topped up. Position of the hotel is ideal. The room was spotless, showers hot, nice big towels (really really really if I want to be pathetic the windows needed cleaning and the free shower gel smells like your nan, and that's being unfairly picky) you get discount at a few eating places by showing your room card abd paperwork.
Would I stay there again, yes. I really can't believe this hotel is part of the same chain as the Cardiff hotel, the contrast is remarkable! It's a budget hotel while a quirky deco twist (our room was pink with flamingo wall paper) give it a go!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bristol1973

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Great hotel for the price , spotless spacious comfortable rooms, and very helpful staff. The breakfast was extremely good for a budget hotel and the hotel is very central. Within easy walking distance of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BIRDSTAFFORDSHIRE

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed here as part of a hen party. It's fine for this purpose as the location is really good - it's right in the centre of town. 3 of us stayed in the family room which was huge. This comprised of a seperate dining table & chairs and a seperate sofa area and then a double bed & 2 bunk beds. On first glance it seems ok, but when you look closely it could benefit from a deep clean. Everything was quite shabby looking and knocked about. The cream sofas were well worn (wrong colour in a budget hotel) and the furry curtains (as many have mentioned before) are horrendous and none of us wanted to touch them. The beds were extremely uncomfortable and unfortunately we didn't get a great night's sleep. It's fine for the purpose of a hen party, but if I was staying here for any purpose I would be extremely disappointed. The breakfast offering was pretty poor looking so we didn't bother. Parking very limited so get there early. Extra charge for this which I think was £6 for 24 hours so not too bad. Public areas were quite clean and tidy, just bedrooms need major renovations. Staff were very pleasant which was a major plus point.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank MAGGIE M

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed whilst visiting Daughter at Uni.

It is basic, but clean and airy with everything you need.

Staff are very friendly and for the cost of the stay it was good value.

The breakfast was a help your self which I have no problem with, as the area was clean, efficient and organised.

Would stay again

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pauline h

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nightsl because I attended a course and was warned that parking was a problem, so I chose a hotel within walking distance of the course .

When I arrived I was greeted by a very friendly and helpful young man, I thought that I had chosen wisely! How wrong could I be.

The hotel was attempting to portray a trendy hip modern style but this was done on a budget and cheap things don't last. The whole place looked as if a good deep clean would not go amiss. The corridors are dark and dingy the rooms are noisy and due to location are overlooked by offices all around. The room itself was very tacky especially the blue fur curtains which I left open as I really did not like the look or feel of them goodness knows how much dust was in them.

The bathroom had a pleasant floor, however the designer had chosen to go up the side of the bath with it and it had sagged, not a good look. The closet did not have doors and the hanging area was too short for a knee length dress.

I tried in vain to make the safe work and failed on many attempts even with help from the staff, I gave up in the end.

The T.V was too small and the chill area did not contain the expected fridge even though it was labeled chill. Apparently that was just for show.

The bath towel had a huge knotted hair ball entwined in it which I had to cut out. There was mould on the windows and around the bath. The Capet and the bed had long hairs on and mine is short.

The bed was sooooo cheap every coil could be felt and heard, I actually slept on top of the duvet to try and sleep.

The general atmosphere was completely draining and I could not get away from there fast enough.

The only good thing was the staff who although sparse on the ground were all friendly and helpful.

Overall a cheap and unpleasant hotel. The actual cost was higher than both premier in and travel lodge both of which are better quality than this.

I will try and add the pictures I took so that you can see for yourself.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, if you actually want some sleep.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business