“Convenient and comfortable”

The Big Sleep Hotel Cheltenham
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed here on a number of occasions and my one dislike is the 10.30 am check out though I think they can be flexible if you are catching a train for example. Comfortable rooms with the usual accoutrements - though I do wonder about the glass doors - the do feel fragile. Not the world's best breakfast - but enough with nice Danish pastures.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor during Folk Festival weekend!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Folkiedave
Simon D, Manager at The Big Sleep Hotel Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Folkiedave

Dear Sue D

The Management and Staff here at The Big Sleep Hotel, Cheltenham, appreciate and would like to Thankyou for taking the time to place a review on TripAdvisor after your recent visit to the Hotel.

We are a 'limited service' Town Centre Hotel and do not try to portray ourselves as anything more than what we are; we offer a complimetary Buffet Style Continental breakfast with 2 Hot Options and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the Danish Pastries!

As a sponsor of the Cheltenham Folk Festival for many years, we have worked closley with the Festival Organisers and we do try to accommodate, where possible, the Artists and 'party goers' on the lower levels of the Hotel.

I hope that if you do visit this part of Gloucestershire in the future that you would consider staying with us again?

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We chose this hotel because it is smack bang in the middle of Cheltenham. When we booked it I was a little concerned that it was " too cheap". They have cleverly pared down the hotel experience and concentrated on what is truly important. The result is that you get everything you need and you get nothing that you dont need. No silly little bottles of shampoo to steal but a proper size bottle to use and leave.Even the included breakfast was simple, unfussy but totally satisfying. Everthing is clean, tidy and fresh. It isn't luxurious but it everything you need for an extremely reasonable price. My daughter is at University in Cheltenham so its a great place to stay when visiting her. we will definately be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank blackpacks

Dear blackpacks

I am pleased to hear that you found The Big Sleep Hotel was what you were looking for during your recent visit to the area.

We are a 'limited service' Town Centre Hotel and do not try to portray ourselves as anything more than what we are and I am pleased to hear that what the Hotel has to offer was just what you were looking for during your brief visit to Cheltenham to see your daughter at University.

I hope that if you do visit this part of Gloucestershire in the future that you will consider staying with us again?

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The sort of bedroom that sucked your soul out as you walk in. Have seem NHS rooms with more character. Very noisy room with security door next door clunking all night. Breakfast was an acceptable budget meal - but again no pleasure. This hotel is very central - and if you just need a no frills/ clean basic place to lay your head it's good value

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bromleylauren

Dear Bromleylauren

I am sorry to hear that the security door was an annnoyance during your stay with us and that the Hotel decor was not to your expectations.

We are a 'limited service' Town Centre Hotel and do not try to portray ourselves as anything more than what we are; we offer a complimentary Buffet style Continetal Breakfast with 2 Hot Options of Bacon & Sausage.

Should you wish to discuss any points about your stay, please do contact me on the deatils below.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We arrived at the Big Sleep on the evening of Tuesday 7th Febuary for an enjoyable night out in Cheltenham.
Upon arrival the reception staff were most rude. No welcome, lack of infomation, no manners and certainly no personality!
I wasn't expecting backflips from them, but after a long drive a "Hello, hope you had a safe journey" goes a long way!

I was paying in cash, and before i handed my money over i requested to see the room. This request was clearly an inconvenience, and the female receptionist answered "You will be charged for the room anyway as we have your card details!" Begrudgingly the male receptionist showed us our room, and we were satisfied. Rooms were clean, bed reasonably comfortable and warm. I then walked downstairs to settle my bill and placed £60 cash on the desk. To when the lady asked for a £40 deposit!
I explained i did not have any spare cash as i dont like to use my card and that i was happy to leave my car keys. To my surprise they told me that they had attempted to charge my card as i was in the room, i was quiet frankly mortified as i had not given them permission! The card was declined as i am wise with my finances and do not leave unnecessary credit on the card

I felt really intruded on and the hotel staff made us feel really discriminated against for being a young couple (19 and 20YO) and said they would want to inspect our room before i get my car keys back. I was in a really distressed mood as i felt a real embarrassment not having enough money for the deposit. The following morning we had to contact reception to ask what time check out was (as the staff from the night before gave us no info)
10:30am was the answer.
I went downstairs for breakfast to find it had finished at 9:30, if the hotel staff had informed us upon arrival i would have happily woke up earlier!

Avoid at all costs, spend an extra £20 and stay somewhere more pleasant with a warmer welcome.

We are not a fussy couple, but we both work in customer service, and found the Big Sleep Cheltenham an utter shambles.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tom H

Dear Tom H

The Management at The Big Sleep Hotel, Cheltenham, appreciate and would like to Thankyou for taking the time to place a review on TripAdvisor after your recent visit to the Hotel.

I am sorry to note your comments regarding your stay and please do feel free contact me directly on my deatils below should you wish to discuss any of your points

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We booked this hotel as our friends were staying there the night and the location was good. On arrival, the reception staff were polite and handed us the keys to our room... We opened the door and both my husband and I said nothing, we just looked at each other then looked at the chipped Formica furniture, filthy dirty cushions, thick dirty fluffy curtains and not a brilliant bathroom... We decided that there was no way we would stay here and left promptly. The reception staff and manager would not refund our money as we booked with hotel bookings.com the manager Was obviously used to this and wasn't at all helpful and just told us to ring the booking company. My message to you is, don't pay until you see your room, we have learnt a lesson. We booked into the George Hotel and it was lovely, we got a really good deal for a fabulous room and a great nights sleep!!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Treacle7895
TBSH G, Manager at The Big Sleep Hotel Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel, Cheltenham. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am sorry to read that your stay was not to your liking and that you did not enjoy elements of your stay with us. Thank you again for taking your time to leave a review.

Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed at The Big Sleep on New Year's Eve which was one of the worst hotels that I've stayed in. It was quite basic which is fine if the price reflected this standard which it did not. I stayed in a "suite" room the bathroom was open plan which was a bit weird, had to turn the radiators on myself, the shower was luke warm on it's hottest setting and the breakfast was terrible, the cleanliness of the rooms was also some what questionable. The only discerning feature of this hotel was the central location and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Wemst

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I was looking for a clean, comfortable budget hotel in Cheltenham and this is exactly what I got with the benefit of friendly staff.

The location is great and with secure underground parking at a nominal charge a nice bonus.

The rooms were clean and functional. My only criticism was that the heating was off and it wasn't immediately obvious to see how to turn it on.

Breakfast was much better than I expected but if you want 5 star then go somewhere else and pay for it.

The staff were great.

My only negative comment was the charge for wi-fi. Come on, this is 2014.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank vonireland

Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel, Cheltenham. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed elements of your stay with us. Thank you again for taking your time to leave a review.