“Not good ”

Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Oh dear so much wrong with this place. Gents toilets not very clean, no paper and the loos could do with a bleach.

Cakes and scones on the counter are all uncovered with people breathing, coughing and spluttering all over them. Coffee was too strong and very bitter and outside around the bin area is a let down to tourists wanting to visit the nearby Minster.

Staff were friendly and polite but that in itself would not be enough to make me want to return. Better places nearby

1  Thank foodlover079
TellBTP, General Manager at Boston Tea Party Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2018

Dear foodlover079

Thank you for your feedback it is much appreciated. However its very disappointing to read that you rated us as "not good". We check the toilets regularly to ensure that all cubicles have toilet paper so please accept my most sincere apologies that when you visited that cubicle had run out, please rest assured that it would of been stocked back up as soon as we carried out our inspection. I will also look into your comments regarding the cleanliness of the toilet bowls and get this resolved, thank you.

Please may I also state that we take food hygiene very seriously here at BTP and have strict guidelines that we adhere to. We have liaised with Cheltenham EHO and a third party company (www.surefootsolutions.com ) and our practices are in line with current legislation. If however we feel one of our products has been compromised then the staff are trained to remove it from sale. We also follow strict guidelines with regards the length of time cakes and pastries can be displayed in order to ensure they are at the best they can be and are also not a food risk.

It’s also a shame that you didn't enjoy our coffee. It is roasted by an amazing company down in Bristol called "Extract" and currently we have our House Roast which is a blend of Colombian and Peruvian beans and has a flavour profile of milk chocolate biscuits and toffee; whereas our current Guest Roast is from a single estate in Nicaraguan and has amazing flavour of rum and raisin ice cream. Please may I ask that if you are ever unhappy with a drink that you let one of our baristas know who will more than happily make you another drink to ensure that you get to appreciate the amazing work that goes into each and every cup.

We also work very closely with Cheltenham Borough Council to ensure that we adhere to their policies with regards the bin area, we ensure that all our rubbish is inside the bins and that they are collected every day. Unfortunately we can't change the location and can't change how the bins look, but I am really sorry that you find this to be a “let down”, this was never our intention and if we could find another solution then we would.

We do hope that you will give us another a try as we would love the opportunity to speak to you personally about your visit rather than through a third party website and hopefully we will be able to convince you to become one of our many regulars and not only enjoy our coffee but as a food lover hopefully enjoy our amazing food as well.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

Having had lunch here a number of times before and not been disappointed, as we were nearby BTP seemed a safe bet. I ordered Eggs Benedict and my partner chose the Croque Monsieur. Correct me if I’m wrong but a slice and a half of buttered sourdough bread topped with ham and 2 poached eggs, with a garnish of 6 tiny dots of Hollandaise sauce on the plate does not constitute Eggs Benedict. I can only assume they had run out of muffins and hollandaise sauce to have to substitute a ham and egg open sandwich. Wish they’d told me so I could have chosen my own alternative!!

TellBTP, General Manager at Boston Tea Party Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Dear W9465PGwendyr

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review on Trip Advisor, it’s a pity that you rated us as “poor” though; especially as you have eaten with us on many occasions and not been disappointed :-(

It’s also a shame that you do not like the way we serve our Eggs Benedict. We have chosen to base our version on the original way the dish was first conceived back in 1894 when Lemeul Bendeict went to the Waldorf Hotel in New York and asked for “some buttered toast, crisp bacon, two poached eggs, and a hooker of hollandaise sauce”. It can be served on an English Muffin as well, however here at BTP we do ours the original Lemeul way.

Hopefully this goes someway to help clarify the situation and as one of our loyal regulars we do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2018

Truth to tell, we have eaten here a few times for breakfast when visiting Cheltenham. Today I thought it's about time to say how fantastic the food is, what value for money it is and what a great cheerful staff they have. It was quite quiet being a weekday I guess but we have been here on a weekend and it is a lot busier. Service was quick and the drinks came quite quickly. The food followed and it was clear it was cooked to order. We had a West Country Breakfast and a Chorizo Hash. Both were absolutely fantastic- well cooked, really tasty and importantly for breakfast and before a walk around the shops- totally filling! Great food, great place and more than worth a visit. I realise there are a few dotted around the country but we have only eaten at the Cheltenham branch and will continue to do so. Cannot recommend BTP highly enough! Well done to all!

Hi terrycooper49

Thanks for your great review and CONGRATULATIONS you have won a meal for two in our weekly prize draw. Please can you email me at cheltenham@bostonteaparty.co.uk and I will send you a voucher to redeem when you next visit us again :-).

Many thanks and we look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

I'm a lorry driver and had just delivered to a building site opposite Boston Tea Party so I thought I'd pop in for a quick spot of breakfast.
I order 2 poached eggs on buttered white toast and a cup of cafe latte,
Cost was £17 something, bit of a shock. 10 minutes later I was given a pot of hot water, small jug of milk and a mug so I took it back to the counter and explained what I ordered.
5 minutes later I was given a luke warm cafe latte, this was 15 minutes after I placed the order. 10 minutes later my pouched eggs and toast turned up, eggs were cold, yolks were hard and they were covered in ground black pepper and some sort of vinagerette,tasted absolutely disgusting. I won't be going back there.

1  Thank mrshaunwilliams
TellBTP, General Manager at Boston Tea Party Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2018

Hi mrshaunwilliams

I am terrible sorry that today we fell short of the high standards we set ourselves. It is also such a shame that you waited till you got home, created a Trip Advisor account and posted your first review to tell us about your visit. If only you had mentioned something at the time then we could of rectified the situation and made sure that your food was cooked perfectly for you.

I would really appreciate the opportunity to speak to you personally about this matter and so would be very grateful if you could please email me your contact telephone number to cheltenham@bostonteaparty.co.uk so we can discuss what happened in more detail.

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

With friends, we looked the place up and seemed really nice. Little did we know. I ordered a avocado on toast and when it came the poached eggs on top were boiled rather than poached. Sent the plate back and came back and the toast was so soggy. Sent back that for a second time and got the plate which was still soggy bread and near boiled eggs. Did get a refund and a free drink but food was really bad. My friend also found a onion skin in his plate.

TellBTP, General Manager at Boston Tea Party Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

Dear Lucia B

I am really sorry that the poached eggs were over done on the first dish and the toast was slightly under toasted on the second and that there was a piece of onion skin in the salad. The kitchen team will undergo additional training as there is no excuses for all of these mistakes and I just hope that after we refunded your meal and apologised profusely that this experience hasn't ruined your Bank Holiday weekend too much.

We do hope that you still manage to have a lovely week and hopefully we will see you again one day soon.

Yours sincelerey