Hotel du Vin Cheltenham
US$158
US$120
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham(Cheltenham)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$76
  • Breakfast included
US$113
US$107
US$106
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham(Charlton Kings)(Great Value!)
US$81
The George Hotel(Cheltenham)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$98
Ellenborough Park(Cheltenham)
US$256
US$199
Hotels.com
The Rising Sun Hotel(Cleeve Hill)(Great Value!)
US$97
Jurys Inn Cheltenham(Cheltenham)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$84
Hotels.com
  • Pool
US$180
US$158
Agoda.com
1,094 results
All reviewsroll top bathmonsoon showerjunior suitesunday nightnespresso machinean upgrademini barlovely hotelfree standing bathfood and winereception staffstandard roomwalk in showerservice at breakfastgreat roomlimited parkingspecial occasion
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I have only just discovered this unchainlike chain of beautiful hotels in the last year, but have made up for lost time by staying in both the Tunbridge Wells and Cheltenham HDVs. The buildings in which the hotels are situated are mostly historic gems and the service is certainly the best I have ever encountered in Britain by far. Importantly, they are also in some of the most attractive locations you could wish to visit, for a night away or short break.

The deals are excellent, considering the quality of the accommodation, food and wine. We stayed in a wonderful room (complete with Nespresso machine) over Christmas on a £199 stay, which included a 3 course meal, with choice of sides, a bottle of champagne (absolutley amazing!) and breakfast in the morning. Some of the cheaper deals have restrictions on courses, wine, breakfast etc... but this seemed excellent, especially considering the Sirloin is £25, champagne £50 and breakfast is £14.95. If you paid for Room Only and everything else was extra I could see how the bill could stack up quite substantially. However, I would reiterate that you get what you pay for here, and next time my wife is itching to try the current £229 deal which involves the meal, breakfast AND Spa treatments. As has already been mentioned in reviews, I would say don't be intimidated by the wine list and feel you have to choose expensive bottles for the sake of it; their house wine and champagne has been chosen so skillfully as to be superb. If you like red wine, for example, the house merlot at £16.95 is sublime!

Give one of the HDVs a try for a relaxing getaway, or special occasion, and you won't regret it-just get online first and book a deal!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have the big Victorian baths; you may have to pay more for one of these rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2012

My partner and I have stayed at the HDV in Cheltenham on several occasions. II always chuckle on arrival when I see the blue plaque commemorating the billeting there of Norman Wisdom when a squaddie in World War Two. It reports he had an enjoyable time. With Cheltenham Ladies College a stones throw away what 18 year old male wouldn't?

We normally stay just one night on a special deal that includes an evening meal. Part of the HDV experience for us is to check in mid afternoon and enjoy the sumptuous bath - big enough for two - before a relaxing meal.

However yesterday things did not go quite as planned. We arrived at 3.30 pm to find that we couldn't check into our room as there was a problem with the water. We were courteously invited to make our way to the bar where we were supplied with a complimentary glass of the house white. An hour later that was supplemented by a very welcome glass of champagne. Not as we planned but a nice way of being made welcome.

As we were waiting we made our way into the "Sinners enclosure" which had just been vacated after a civil wedding ceremony. This room had a "Cheltenham races" theme which included a giant mural featuring jockeys and ladies of easy virtue all fully clothed in a variety of sado-machochist activities! There is a curtain across which we assumed was drawn during the ceremony to spare the blushes of the registrar and departing guests!

When we got to our room it was - as always at an HDV - perfect. We still had enough time to enjoy the bath and the comfortable bed before dinner.

Our deal had included a two course meal. Now there were two problems: one was immediate, it took 1 hour and 10 minutes for the main course to arrive, the second I found out about the following morning when I discovered that the grill meals ( I ordered sirloin steak) were not included in the deal.

No problem. After an hour I commented to the wine waiter that the main course seemed to have been forgotten. Within a few minutes the assistant manager came personally to apologise. However the steak was well worth waiting for - possibly one of the very best I have ever had.

However when I collected my bill the following morning I was surprised to find it list separately. I explained to the receptionist that no one had alerted me that this was outside the deal and without any quibble this was deleted!

Now one point about the wine. For health reasons my partner can't share a full bottle so we looked at the halves. I chose the cheapest, a 2009 Beaujolais-Villages. Despite being a half bottle, the wine waiter served it with all the solemnity of serving the most expensive vintage ever produced! Not only that, for a bottle of plonk it turned out to be one of the best wines I have had in many months. HDV certainly know how to choose their wines One piece of advice to those on a budget - don't be afraid of the lower price range, I promise HDV will still provide the best.

All in all it was a fantastic and relaxing way to spend an evening away from the kids. The staff are courteous and helpful, immediately putting right anything that is not quite right. But let me stress that at a HDV things seldom need sorting!

However there was just one thing they got completely wrong. At reception they offered us a complementary daily newspaper of our choice. Naturally I jumped at the chance of helping spread the word just a few yards from Cheltenham Ladies College and opted for the Communist daily "The Morning Star". Imagine my shame the following morning to discover that outside my room had laid a copy of the atrocious tabloid "Daily Star". That was one issue I decided not to follow up. Next time I'll ask for the Telegraph.

Room Tip: Don't worry too much. All rooms are superbly appointed.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Auntys_Visitor
GM-HDV-Cheltenham, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank-you for your recent comments regarding your stay at Hotel Du Vin Cheltenham.

It is always encouraging to hear that we have been able to turn around a guests experience, in light of un planned events, therefore we are so very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards

Giles Hammond

Reviewed 26 December 2011

It's been a very long time - I was a teenager, yikes!! - since I went away to an English hotel for Christmas. It's putting an awful lot of trust in a hotel and their kitchen. This year, we decided that we couldn't face the supermarket sweep...I don't know what it is about the Christmas period which makes you think you can't get by without trolley-loads of cheese biscuits and Irish cream, but there you are....
This hotel really does whack you between the eyes in terms of its sheer good taste. Smartly spoken and smartly dressed ladies waiting in the entrance hall behind desks the size of most people front rooms. Our room itself was another wow...we could have moved into the bathroom. The afternoon was spent on the bed, half-watching TV, drinking champagne and flicking through very expensive magazines. Bliss.
Naturally the expectations of the meal were now HUGE. So I guess it was always going to disappoint but I think I'll always remember the look on my husband's face when he was given his turkey dinner and realised it was cut from a roll or a 'crown'. It was like he had unwrapped a gorgeous looking present only to find it contained bath cubes.
Furthermore, my beef wellington was aptly called being very overcooked; and the pastry soggy...could have coped with both these things as everything else on the plate was lovely - but there was a bitter taste in the gravy. Note to all restaurants...unless you are absolutely sure you have the best gravy on earth...don't pour it on. Put it in a little gravy boat and let the diner do it.
Thought the puds would redeem the situation; but again mine was overcooked and difficult to get out of the little terracotta pot it was served in. So difficult, I stopped trying.
In fact, we were so disappointed; we didn't stop for breakfast the next day and ended up hoofing down the road to a cafe....I guess our luck wasn't in; even here my husband was served a partly raw sausage. Perhaps people don't like the cut of our gib.
On the good side, the wine at the hotel was excellent, we loved our starters and the mince pies and satsumas were a nice touch.
I guess all of the above just goes to prove a point about expecting places to give of their best at Crimbo...I bet even Michel Roux has his satin slippered feet up on on Christmas Day....you're never going to get restaurants working at their slick best. Would try this place again without any hesitation. On Boxing Day, we took a short trip into Chetenham and I cried once again with sheer jealousy when I realised what my home town of Derby could have looked like if we had visionaries in the council instead of middle aged men. The High Street is just perfect...one lovely shop next to another. Lucky, lucky people.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
GM-HDV-Cheltenham, Manager at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank-you for your review following your recent stay with us at Hotel Du Vin Cheltenham.

It is never encourgaing to hear negative feedback , however this is vital for us to monitor our guests stays and their experiences and allows us to implement our proactive guest response plan that we utilise in order to eradicate the issues.

I would be more than happy to discuss these issues in more detail should you wish to contact me on giles.hammond@hotelduvin.com.

We hope that you will return in the future to allow us an opportunity to turn the situation around for you and give you a truer reflection of Hotel Du Vin Cheltenham.

Kind Regards

Giles Hammond

Reviewed 9 December 2011

stayed for one night on 2/12/11 and everything was faultless - friendly and efficient staff, fantastic room, wonderful spa treatment with a fab therapist & great breakfast, highly recommended

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PMafb
Reviewed 28 November 2011

From the moment we arrived we felt special - parking right outside, great service from the receptionist, beautiful room, luxurious and clean. The receptionist provided us with a town map and recommendations - easy walking distance to the town and great restaurants nearby. Overall, a wonderful stay and just what was needed.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple