“Lets have some light on the subject!”

Hotel du Vin Cheltenham
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 days to attend a wedding. We booked a standard room but were offered an upgrade for £18 which we accepted as we do like a king size bed. We were then given another upgrade as the window wouldn't close and when the manager tried to close it he broke the handle so we actually stayed in Tattinger. However the only difference I could see was a coffee machine which looked complicated and we don't drink coffee anyway! The room at first glance looked amazing and was at the back so was very quiet. Niggles were that on the shower and bath taps was a notice saying caution hot water! I should hope there is hot water but surely people are adult enough to know how to behave near a hot tap. The modern sink had quite crack in and I kept looking for drips underneath it! Our main gripe was that the room and corridors are very dark. We had difficulty opening the door because it was almost too dark to see the keyhole and the locks are very old. We both like to read in bed but the light was so poor it was virtually impossible. Also no biscuits to have with your hot drink - just very expensive specialists ones (£3.50 each from minibar). I ended up going to reception where there were shortbreads on offer. We expect a packet of High Grove or similar quality biscuits to be provided at these prices. My husband said that the breakfast sausage was rubbery but I had the Continental and whilst there was a good choice of breads, fruit, yoghurt and muesli, I do like the true Continental style with meats and cheeses. Staff in the restaurant were very peasant but reception staff could be improved on. We asked directions to a museum and she printed out a map but on looking we noticed she had put a completely wrong post code in so instead of guiding us from the hotel the map showed directions from a few streets away!! Also when checking out I was at first charged for dinner which we did not have and there seemed to be difficulty with obtaining a correct bill.
The hotel is in the best location possible as it is less than 5 minutes walk from shops and restaurants in the centre of Cheltenham and although there is limited parking we managed to get a space in the back car park so we could see our car from our room. It is a very quiet area and perfectly pleasant. I have reviewed many hotels and this is my first critical one. I get annoyed at those who nit pick but I do not believe I have mentioned anything that would cause a reader to think I am complaining about petty things as being able to read in bed and check out easily are important to may visitors. My husband was pleased that the TV in our room had a much larger screen than at most hotels so ideal for catching up with the world cup!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are much quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MadPat83
GM-HDV-Cheltenham, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear MadPat83,

Thank you very much for your recent review. The comments you make are very valid as each traveller has their own expectations. It is our job to provide you with the levels of comfort, amenities and service that you expect and I am genuinely sorry to read that we did not meet with your expectations.

Many of our corridors benefit from natural light through original sash windows and large glass columns. We have a diverse selection of rooms with all the idiosyncrasies that our loyal customers have come to expect from Hotel du Vin.

Should you wish to return it would be possible to recommend a selection of rooms that would meet your specific needs. Please contact me directly and I will be very pleased to provide you with a supply of our homemade shortbreads to enjoy whilst in your bedroom.

Kind regards,

Ed Duley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,057)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I booked a weekend stay at Hotel du Vin in Cheltenham for Friday and Saturday night. Our reservation included dinner, bed and breakfast. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel special and the check in process took no time at all. We were shown to our room which was very nice indeed. We then decided to head downstairs for our dinner reservation. We waited in the bar area then were taken to our table downstairs via a sweeping staircase. The food was lovely and there were plenty of wines to choose from, we had a very nice evening indeed. The staff were very attentive. We went back to our room not long after dinner was finished and we both slept until quite late the next morning only making it to breakfast at 10.55am. The morning team were fine, and we were still able to order a full English breakfast and smoked haddock, poached egg and hash brown both of which were fantastic. We spend the day looking around Cheltenham then headed back to the hotel restaurant for our reservation. Once again we had a lovely meal. We both really enjoyed our weekend and would like to return in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Philip D,

Your comments regarding your recent stay were gratefully received and I will ensure the whole team gets to read your positive review. I hope that I might have the opportunity to welcome you back personally to Hotel du Vin Cheltenham in the near future.

Thanks once again,

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here last minute whilst working away as room was relatively priced. I like that the rooms have names rather than numbers, a nice change! Very welcoming when I arrived, quick check in and shown to room. Rooms beautifully decorated and bed very comfy! Also ate in the restaurant that night and food was great.

Would stay again but don't think I'd pay full price......

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jody P

Dear Jody P,

Thanks for the favourable review, I am very pleased you stumbled across the HdV brand. All the HdV properties have quirky designs and one or two stories........
Together we offer a relaxing environment, attentive service, wonderful Bistro food and plenty of wines to match anyones requirements.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel du Vin!

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Just stayed for one night and wish it had been for more!
Really loved this upmarket hotel where we were looked after by superb staff.
Form check in to checkout there wasn't a single thing that I could criticise. It was brilliant!
We were checked in by a lovely
receptionist who gave us a nice room but it only had a shower. ( we really wanted one with a bath) so contacted reception who were very happy to change the room for us. This room was perfect with everything we needed. Fab bed and bath, great coffee machine, mini bar, and very clean.
We used the bar,terrace and restaurant all very very nice. Food was excellent, service spot,on and every single member of staff encountered had a charming personally ( the manager here has obviously chosen well!)
The Continental Breakfast was great with more than enough tasty good quality food to choose from.

Top drawer hotel! Thanks for the short but superb stay. When back in this area I would defiantly try to book this hotel over others.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
GM-HDV-Cheltenham, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Phil1957,
Thank you very much for taking time to review your recent visit to HdV Cheltenham. Reviews like this make delightful reading and I am so very pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
Your are right, people make the stay and make all the difference. I shall ensure that all departments get a copy of your review to read as a I know how much this will mean to them.

I do hope I have the opportunity to personally welcome you back.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have stayed at the Hotel du Vin twice. On this occasion we took two deluxe rooms whilst attending the Cheltenham Science Festival. I have also stayed at the Queens twice. Overall I think the two are pretty comparable, but I prefer the location of the Hotel du Vin, even though it is five minutes further from the centre of town, because it is quieter - both times I've stayed at the Queens I've been woken in the night by revellers shouting in the street outside.

The rooms were spacious and in good condition but too hot, even with the air conditioning turned to maximum. It had been raining heavily and one of the rooms smelt damp. The rainhead shower was fantastic, although there was some movement in the tiles on the floor which let things down a bit.

Breakfast was unexceptional - staff were obliging and efficient but the continental buffet was a bit depleted by the time we got to it.

We didn't use the bar but it looked lively in the evening.

Next time I'm at one of the Cheltenham festivals, I would choose to stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BQD

Dear BQD,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham. Your brand loyalty is much appreciated.
I reviewed your comments with the maintenance team in order that they could investigate and take the necessary measures to ensure that both rooms had adequate air conditioning systems. It came to light that some bedrooms were running from only one compressor which explains why the cooling was not sufficient during your stay. For this I apologies but it does reinforce how important trip advisor reviews are to our business and its development. The problem has since been rectified.

This month I have replaced 6 bedroom shower trays with a much improved stainless steel design, they really do look fantastic and make the monsoon shower experience even more enjoyable! I am looking to secure further funding to continue improving our fabulous hotel product over the coming weeks and months.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Generally staying away on business 2-3 times per week, i found my first ever stay with
Hotel Du Vin quite disappointing to say the least.
Parking on site is pretty awful and street parking is the only real option when the small car parks to front and rear are fully occupied .
After check in, i was given instructions on how to get to my room (Brown Brothers) and the veritable maze of corridors and stairwells eventually brought me straight back to reception.
It took 2 attempts of not finding my room, before concierge offered to show me the way, and then no offer of help with my 3 bags as i navigated the various stairwells, and corridors.
Room was above average, although on the cold side despite turning off the AC.
Bathroom floor was alarmingly dirty which i found out to my surprise after dropping a wet towel onto the floor, and seeing the dirt which alarmingly transferred to the white towel.
Breakfast was ok, with a selection of cereals, pastries, and cooked breakfast option,
although the Brioche rolls were stale, and the cooked breakfast a little on the skimpy side
with only one sausage served, although the bacon was delicious.
Checkout was swift and courteous (much better than experience on arrival).
With over 40+ night stayed at Malmaison, and 100+ at various Marriott venues in the past 12 months it would be fair to say my first stay with Hotel Du Vin wasn't particularly enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Yorks1972,

Many thanks for your recent review following your stay at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham. My apologies for the negative elements of your stay which you commented upon. I do review all feedback with the relevant team members and departmental heads, your comments really do make a difference.
There are 24 free parking spaces between front and rear car parks and unrestricted free parking on Parabola Road. For a town centre hotel this is quite unusual but I appreciate your frustration as the hotel is often busy. I have negotiated additional carparking with the offices opposite who provide our guests with complimentary parking weekdays after 6pm and all day Saturday and Sunday, providing the car is removed prior to 8.30am on working days.

Our brand standard is to offer personal assistance with 'rooming' all guests and carrying of bags. Often our corporate guests do prefer to find their own way and I do understand that due to the nature of the regency building that some rooms are more difficult to find than modern hotels, I'd like to think that we remain quirky although it is not my intention that you get lost! However I have re affirmed to the reception team the check in process.

I also discussed your breakfast experience with the head chef and breakfast chef to ensure that we are offering all our guests the very best in quality ingredients. Our cooked breakfasts consist of very high quality items and I am confident that if requested the team would have provided you with additional food as required.
You are clearly a regular traveller and therefore I hope that I will have the opportunity to personally welcome you back so I can thank you personally for your review and make amends in a more tangible way.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I was here for a week on business and really enjoyed staying at Hotel Du Vin. My room was a bit small (Petaluma), but being solo it wasn't a big deal. The bed was quite comfortable and the room had many nice amenities. I absolutely LOVED the breakfast! That, and the nice bar with Cuban cigars was great. Wish they had a gym onsite, but otherwise this place had it all. Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business