“Great location,lovely room”

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Newbury, England, United Kingdom
“Great location,lovely room”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The Hotel Du Vin is excellently located for all the main attractions in the town. It's a stones throw from classy Montpellier and a short walk to the Promenade and the High street.
Being Cheltenham the hotel has a distinct racehorse decor. The room we stayed in was very spacious with a wonderful king sized bed and a roll top bath and walk in shower. We stayed in the midst of a very rare heatwave and for some reason the air con was not switched on. As a result we didn't have the best night's sleep.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
GM-HDV-Cheltenham, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Ian,

Your feedback is much appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Our rooms offer many ameneties and lots of variations but all with the typical Hotel du Vin understated style. Our baths and showers are definately the most talked about features!

All our bedrooms have individual controls for the air conditioning and I am sorry yours appeared to be switched off. There has been some essential maintenace repair work to some of our bedroom systems and I am sorry if this impacted on the quality of your sleep. Let me now if you are looking to return to any HdV property and I will do my best to make amends in a more tangible way.

Many thanks,

Ed

Ed Duley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Derby UK
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel generally good. Ample parking, easy check in and well positioned in town.
Decor really nice, staff excellent, room clean and tidy (yet very small).
Bath in the bedroom which would be lovely in a cavernous room but was a little odd in a small room.
Food and drink good.
All in all - id use the hotel again and felt it was good value.

Stayed July 2014
Dear David,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham. It was great to read your positive experience and I hope I can welcome you back soon.

Many thanks,

Ed.

Devon
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in a superior room. Very comfortable bed with a roll-top bath by the window from where I lay in bubbles and drank champagne (more bubbles) whilst watching the huge TV. Absolutely can't complain about that. The shower room was quite dramatic with all the black tiling, and the shower was great, but the floor wasn't too clean which I discovered when I accidentally splashed water and tried to mop it up with the fluffy white towel.... Excellent selection of toiletries.
Dinner in the Bistro was very good, service attentive and there was a pleasant, busy hum throughout both evenings. The wine was quite expensive, but not so much to stop you having a bottle with dinner. We would have liked to sit outside on the well-furnished terrace, but it was raining both nights we were there.
People have commented on the unfriendly staff; we didn't experience this at all; our receptionist was excellent; she went out of her way to be accommodating as we wanted some spa treatments in the morning, and she managed to find appointments for us at short notice. We also enjoyed morning coffee in the spacious bar/lounge area which was a lovely place to sit and while away an hour with the newspaper during a lengthy downpour of rain; the same receptionist was then serving in the bar and asked how the spa experience had been etc etc.
My husband stays here on business occasionally has always spoken highly of the Hotel du Vin; I agree with him, and am looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BlackdownAlpaca
It is always rewarding to receive a lovely response following a guests stay, thank you for taking the time to advise us of the good, really good and not so good aspects of your stay. I will ensure the team read your review.

It sounds like you would really like our Moet Vintage Suite, with elevated twin rolltop baths, double walkin shower, huge flat screen and enormous bed! Please let us know directly when you are planning another stay away and we will do our best to accommodate your requirements. Our website often has new offers to entice you away from home!

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately I only had one night here. I could have definitely have stayed much longer!
Service was excellent and I as upgraded to a beautiful room with a roll top bath by the window.
Drinks in the bar were served with a smile and quickly, as was breakfast.
Room amenities were excellent with top notch bed linens and fluffy towels.
Will definitely be back

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Lisasplaces,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review following your recent stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your bedroom upgrade, it is so nice when we are able to do this for our much appreciated guests. All our rooms have different styles, some with roll-top baths in the bedroom (sometimes two!), all have our fabulous drench showers. Do give us a call directly when you are planning another getaway and one of the team can talk you through the different options.

Regards,

UK
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Having stayed in a number of Hotel Du Vin properties; of late I have found that same thing very often let's them down, poor service, reading recent reviews here on Tripadvisor, it seems others have experienced the same. Unfortunately HDV Cheltenham suffers badly from the this problem.

HDV is a well located (easy walk into Cheltenham centre) and is a grand building with bright and spacious bar and large downstairs Bistro with good, but pricey for what it is, food. My room was comfortable with a very small bathroom, and a perfect view of the prison van loading from the rear of the local courts, but as I had selected the cheapest room, that's fine.

What let my stay down, was disinterest from staff and management. For example; directions to my hard to locate room consisted of a half hearted 'across their and up the stairs', when actually it was more like up, down, up again and around, although as a result I did get to spend 5 minutes walking every corridor trying to find my room.

Similar disinterest was very much in evidence in the bar and Restaurant. I was ignored for 15 minutes after sitting down at a table, this was whilst the staff and a manager held a 'huddle' behind the bar, deep in conversation. My wine glass came with lipstick on, not my shade unfortunately :-)

Despite a heavily promoted Bastille day promotion no one working in the bar seemed to know about this, nor the promoted free nibbles which never came, so I gave up on. A request to honour the promotional prices resulted in questioning looks and the member of staff having to go and find a manager who made no attempt to speak to me, it had now become embarrassing, and I wished I have never asked.

So all in all not a bad hotel, just not a well managed hotel. Which is a shame as HDV has some good Hotels that I want to stay in.

As these shortcomings seem a consistent across hotels I wonder if morale problems, change of ownership or similar is the problem with the groups management?

Hotel management please note; don't bother with a bland response and asking me to contact you. Managers had several attempts to rectify these small but unprofessional service issues, but never took these. I get the impression, that if I had to explain, it would not be understood.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank OleDunk
Lochranza, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Impossible to find my room!
No room numbers, even the staff don't know where the rooms are located ?
If you have luggage make sure your room in near the lift !
Our party had a lot of luggage and the hotel could not cope ...v poor
The staff were really excellent ...but the duty manager very dismissive of a suggestion to have room numbers!
I would have thought that customer service would be paramount,but not for the duty manager i had the misfortune to talk to!

Room Tip: Check the location of your room and access at booking and don't take any luggage
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DOULL
GM-HDV-Cheltenham, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to appraise me of your recent visit. I would be very grateful if you could call me at the hotel so I may find out which Duty Manager you spoke to. It is our policy to assit all guests by personally escorting them to their room. Only if the guest declines to be roomed should directions be given.
Our room names do make us different from mainstream hotels and are one of many idiosyncracies that seperates Hotel du Vin from most hotel experiences. That said, I empathise with your experience and I will reiterate with the reception team the importance of 'rooming' and/or giving clear directions. I do hope that you enjoyed your room facilities?

I am pleased that all other staff members you encountered were pleasant and helpful.

Kind regards,

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The hotel is in a great location, nice and quiet but an easy walk to the town centre and Montpellier. The rooms are very well appointed and quite spacious. The beds are extremely comfortable and the monsoon shower is wonderful although if you're over 6" you might have to duck to use it! Having a nespresso machine in the room makes a nice change to the usual sachets of instant coffee too!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review. It is always a delight to read positive comments regarding our room facilities, I agree with you regarding the fabulous shower experience!

I do hope that you will return to Cheltenham Hotel du Vin so that you can experience some of our other great, individual and well appointed bedrooms.

Regards,