“Don't go on a week night...”

Hotel du Vin Cheltenham
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
London, United Kingdom
“Don't go on a week night...”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband took me here on a Tues eve for my birthday and we were very dissappointed. We have been a few times before and never been overwhelmed but we decided to give the early eve menu a go, on arrival we were not even presented with this as a choice and had to ask for it, but have to say the menu was very uninspiring so we ended up choosing from the main menu. The food was average and we chose a nice bottle of rose that we hadn't had before but we did not have starters or desserts/coffees and our meal came to over 100GBP! We wouldn't have minded paying that for a special occasion where we were greated by a warm ambiance and great service, but alas our evening was very average and not very special at all. We will not be going back in a hurry.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Brookesy33
GM-HDV-Cheltenham, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Brookesy33,

I was very disappointed to read your less than favourable review and I am sorry your birthday occasion was not memorable for the right reasons. I have discussed your feedback with the Bistro team as it is so important to review and action any required improvements.

I would be delighted if you could spare some more valuable time to call me directly at the hotel so I may get a better understanding of your experience and what menu items you chose that totalled over £100 as I am sure there must be a mistake that needs rectifying.

Ed Duley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is a nice space to spend time in where ever your are, your room, the bar, restaurant ,just around the place in general. Very easy to walk around Cheltenham from here as well, no need for taxis ect. Bit of a shame the televisions where not working on our stay 3rd August but still enjoyed all the nice extras , like coffee and chocs in the room. WIFI also needs to improve for a hotel of this stamp. Breakfast is also very good, with a big choice of yummy items. The staff are very friendly and helpful and a special thank you to Gemma-Kate on reception who dealt with our slight moan about the TV and wifi issues in a very polite and professional way. Will be returning for sure !

Room Tip: Upgrade from standard rooms if poss.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear FastChar,

Thanks for the largely positive review, I am pleased you had a great stay and want to come back. I share your frustration regarding the TV signal over the weekend. Digital technology is great when it works and it was just typical that the storm which hit Cheltenham at 4pm on saturday blew up our digital header which routes the signal to all rooms!

I do apprecaite your understanding and I am so very pleased Gemma - Kate dealt with the situation admirably.

Scotland
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here last week whilst on business. This was our first visit to Cheltenham : I had never been to a Hotel du Vin before and was unsure what to expect.
On arrival the receptionist was friendly and check in was quick and painless.
We met our business colleagues in the bar for some drinks prior to dinner. The surroundings were comfortable and, whilst the bar was busy, there was a good buzz which added to the ambience. We dined downstairs in the restaurant: service was attentive and the food was pretty good. Also there was a good selection of really nice wines (though possibly that was hardly surprising, given the hotel's name!!) We sat talking for some time after dinner and were not rushed by staff at all. Only when we left to go back to the bar did we realise that it was pretty late.This is quite unusual as more often than not staff are rushing you out the door. Breakfast was good and again service attentive. Our room was really tastefully furnished and when we first saw the bathroom there was a wow factor: roll top bath and rainforest shower. The shower was the only niggle we had during our stay. The design of the shower causes water to seep over onto the walk in area. This however is a minor niggle in what was a most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We were happy with our room as were others in our party: seems like a reliable hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mrs Krankie,

Thank you for the wonderful review. It was great to read so many positives regarding your interaction with various hotel services.

The hotel is currenty half way through upgrading all shower bases to a new, highly attractive design that will ensure the water goes where it should!

Do let me know if you are planning a return trip and I will do my best to recommend other 'Wow' bedrooms.

Thanks again,

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I've been to 3 or 4 in the Hotel
Du vin chain and they are one of my favourites. This failed on so many counts. The food was lack lustre but the service was very poor indeed. Generally all those that served us were disinterested and even got orders wrong and forgot drinks. And despite them knowing in advance it was a special occasion there was no recognition or acknowledgement. ( and we weren't looking for freebies) suggest you think twice before booking dinner here maybe residents get better treatment looking at other reviews!!!

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Ernie M
GM-HDV-Cheltenham, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Ernie M,

I am personally very sorry you did not experience our usual great levels of care, customer service and attention to detail.
I have discussed your comments with the Bistro team. Due to the anonymity of TripAdvisor I cannot relate your comments to a particular booking and I cannot recall having any issues with a recent large booking. That said, you clearly have some valuable feedback and I would be grateful if you could call me at the hotel to discuss.

Many thanks,

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Great soundings, comfortable hotel in a nice location. Stayed here for a long weekend, exploring the Costwolds. Would highly recommend this hotel as a base. Planning to stay again in December with a few friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dean,

Thanks very much for posting your experience on TripAdvisor. We were all pleased to read that you rated the hotel so highly. Please do give us a ring directly if we can assist in the planning of your return visit this coming December.

All the best,

Hull
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My two daughters and I decided to accompanying my husband who is working in Cheltenham for a night away. Having booked at last minute ,and getting a good price, I thought our rooms would probably not be too great however we were surprised! Rooms surpassed expectations. Having a roll top bath at home sometimes becomes boring for me when we have one in a hotel as no wow factor for me anymore however the design of the bathroom and the huge showers were one of the nicest in a longtime and did please me.
Also sometimes in boutique hotels the downstairs is usually lovely but upstairs can let it down but again in this hotel the standards where high throughout and I simply loved the decor !
Reception staff were very very helpful and at last minute allowed us a late check out in one of our rooms as I was not feeling too good and even on check out on required on my health. It was a nice touch for them to enquire.
The bistro and bar area are tastefully designed but relaxing atmosphere. The waiting staff were very attentive but not intrusive. Excellent wine cellar menu which always pleases me when they have my favourite stocked (Barolo or Amarone)as a lot of places list them but I'm frequently let down when they don't have. So another positive for them! The only slight let down for my husband was the Chateaubriand. He felt it wasn't as flavoursome as usually expected, however I enjoyed it. Also the waitress kindly offered two sauces for it when we both were undecided. Overall a lovely relaxing meal.
Location was excellent for shopping but not too central to be disturbed by noise.
We will certainly be rebooking here again very soon.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,
Your positive comments relating to your recent stay have been well received by the whole team. It really is a boost and great for team morale. We really do try very hard to exceed our customers expectations and your positive re-enforcement has a placebo effect!

Likewise we must learn from our critics and focus on improvement through analysis of all feedback. Do let me know personally if there was any area of your stay which could have been enhanced in anyway, I'd really like to hear from you.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The staff were lovely and knowledgable about the area. The room was full of character, gorgeous and very clean. The breakfast was the best I've had in a hotel. This was worth every penny. If you want to be close to the centre of town I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sarah,

Thanks for the great review! I am pleased that you loved your room and I will pass on to our Head Housekeeper your comment regarding cleanliness, the team will justifiably be very proud of their hard work.
We only use top quality breakfast ingredients and I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast offering, a must when you have a whole day exploring the fabulous local area or making the journey home.

I do hope you have the chance to return in the near future.