“Good base for Cheltenham”

Hotel du Vin Cheltenham
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed here for one night on the special Sunday offer. The hotel is conveniently located and was perfect for our needs. The staff were friendly and welcoming and our room was typical for this chain. The only fault was that the glaze in the washbasin was cracked. We ate in the restaurant and the food was well cooked and presented. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeedsUKDilys
GM-HDV-Cheltenham, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review. I am genuinely happy to read that you would recommend the hotel. Our Summer Sunday offer provides excellent value and is very popular as a result.

I hope that I can welcome you back soon for you to enjoy another memorable stay.

There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin Cheltenham

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I have mixed feelings about this hotel, understand the concept of trying to be boutique and luxurious and some parts of the hotel and design features did it well. Like the bar area, reception and Bistro. I found other elements quite cheap and missing the mark like the bathroom water pressure in the sink, quality if the toilet paper and the material shower curtain that stuck to you when trying to shower. Corridors to the rooms were very plain and needed updating and the room was quite small given the price paid. The duck feathers in the pillows and duvet were itchy as they were in need of updating in my opinion.
It was not great value for the price paid £175 per night, I wasn't looking for cheap but I think if you want to class yourself like this the guest expects quality.

Service at Reception on check out was very helpful. We wanted to take our daughter swimming and the hotel initially told us that we could use fitness first which is close by. When we went there they did not let people under 16 use the pool. When we told Reception this the lady was apologetic and made a few calls to find us an alternative by asking a favour of another hotel where she knew someone. I was impressed by this and she seemed like she really cared for her guests.

The night receptionist was also very friendly and nice.

Breakfast was fantastic loved the choice and the menu was quirky and there was a good twist on you average hotel breakfast offering.

Overall I am not sure that this hotel has an identity or knows what it wants to be. A bit confusing. If ur expecting a lot like I was then I'm not sure whether this is the place for you.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear London_kip,

I appreciate the time spent in reviewing your recent visit to Hotel du Vin Cheltenham. I understand that the internal decor might not be to everyones taste, the brand design is to be subtle and tasteful with a degree of modern elegance. The public areas and corridors are regularly repainted by the hotel maintenance team to keep them in good order.

The duck feather duvets and pillows are another feature of quality across all Hotel du Vin properties and provide an added extra not usually associated with modern british hotels. That said we can and do provide non feathered duvets and pillows on request.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our quality breakfast offering and received excellent service from the reception team, I will pass on your feedback to the respective departments.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband took me here on a Tues eve for my birthday and we were very dissappointed. We have been a few times before and never been overwhelmed but we decided to give the early eve menu a go, on arrival we were not even presented with this as a choice and had to ask for it, but have to say the menu was very uninspiring so we ended up choosing from the main menu. The food was average and we chose a nice bottle of rose that we hadn't had before but we did not have starters or desserts/coffees and our meal came to over 100GBP! We wouldn't have minded paying that for a special occasion where we were greated by a warm ambiance and great service, but alas our evening was very average and not very special at all. We will not be going back in a hurry.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Brookesy33

Dear Brookesy33,

I was very disappointed to read your less than favourable review and I am sorry your birthday occasion was not memorable for the right reasons. I have discussed your feedback with the Bistro team as it is so important to review and action any required improvements.

I would be delighted if you could spare some more valuable time to call me directly at the hotel so I may get a better understanding of your experience and what menu items you chose that totalled over £100 as I am sure there must be a mistake that needs rectifying.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is a nice space to spend time in where ever your are, your room, the bar, restaurant ,just around the place in general. Very easy to walk around Cheltenham from here as well, no need for taxis ect. Bit of a shame the televisions where not working on our stay 3rd August but still enjoyed all the nice extras , like coffee and chocs in the room. WIFI also needs to improve for a hotel of this stamp. Breakfast is also very good, with a big choice of yummy items. The staff are very friendly and helpful and a special thank you to Gemma-Kate on reception who dealt with our slight moan about the TV and wifi issues in a very polite and professional way. Will be returning for sure !

Room Tip: Upgrade from standard rooms if poss.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear FastChar,

Thanks for the largely positive review, I am pleased you had a great stay and want to come back. I share your frustration regarding the TV signal over the weekend. Digital technology is great when it works and it was just typical that the storm which hit Cheltenham at 4pm on saturday blew up our digital header which routes the signal to all rooms!

I do apprecaite your understanding and I am so very pleased Gemma - Kate dealt with the situation admirably.

Regards,

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here last week whilst on business. This was our first visit to Cheltenham : I had never been to a Hotel du Vin before and was unsure what to expect.
On arrival the receptionist was friendly and check in was quick and painless.
We met our business colleagues in the bar for some drinks prior to dinner. The surroundings were comfortable and, whilst the bar was busy, there was a good buzz which added to the ambience. We dined downstairs in the restaurant: service was attentive and the food was pretty good. Also there was a good selection of really nice wines (though possibly that was hardly surprising, given the hotel's name!!) We sat talking for some time after dinner and were not rushed by staff at all. Only when we left to go back to the bar did we realise that it was pretty late.This is quite unusual as more often than not staff are rushing you out the door. Breakfast was good and again service attentive. Our room was really tastefully furnished and when we first saw the bathroom there was a wow factor: roll top bath and rainforest shower. The shower was the only niggle we had during our stay. The design of the shower causes water to seep over onto the walk in area. This however is a minor niggle in what was a most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We were happy with our room as were others in our party: seems like a reliable hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mrs Krankie,

Thank you for the wonderful review. It was great to read so many positives regarding your interaction with various hotel services.

The hotel is currenty half way through upgrading all shower bases to a new, highly attractive design that will ensure the water goes where it should!

Do let me know if you are planning a return trip and I will do my best to recommend other 'Wow' bedrooms.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I've been to 3 or 4 in the Hotel
Du vin chain and they are one of my favourites. This failed on so many counts. The food was lack lustre but the service was very poor indeed. Generally all those that served us were disinterested and even got orders wrong and forgot drinks. And despite them knowing in advance it was a special occasion there was no recognition or acknowledgement. ( and we weren't looking for freebies) suggest you think twice before booking dinner here maybe residents get better treatment looking at other reviews!!!

Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Ernie M
GM-HDV-Cheltenham, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Ernie M,

I am personally very sorry you did not experience our usual great levels of care, customer service and attention to detail.
I have discussed your comments with the Bistro team. Due to the anonymity of TripAdvisor I cannot relate your comments to a particular booking and I cannot recall having any issues with a recent large booking. That said, you clearly have some valuable feedback and I would be grateful if you could call me at the hotel to discuss.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Great soundings, comfortable hotel in a nice location. Stayed here for a long weekend, exploring the Costwolds. Would highly recommend this hotel as a base. Planning to stay again in December with a few friends.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dean,

Thanks very much for posting your experience on TripAdvisor. We were all pleased to read that you rated the hotel so highly. Please do give us a ring directly if we can assist in the planning of your return visit this coming December.

All the best,