“Good comfortable room, short walk into town”

Hotel du Vin Cheltenham
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
“Good comfortable room, short walk into town”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed overnight courtesy of our insurance company. Large comfortable bed, rather large and austere bathroom with roll top bath and large walk in shower. Outside courtyard area which unfortunately was in the shade. Some unique touches like a cigar humidor selling Cuban cigars and an outside cigar shack where people could smoke them.
We can't review breakfast as the room was so comfortable that we were too late so went to Wetherspoons.
We had a lot of noise outside from noisy aircon units and also staff or others presumably outside having a smoke, this seemed to go on well past midnight.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ukstayer
GM-HDV-Cheltenham, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear ukstayer,

Thank you for your largely positive review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and specifically our comfortable beds.

I hope you chose to visit us again and enjoy our fabulous breakfast offering, including all the classic cooked breakfast items and all the market table has to offer.

I am sorry to read that you were disturbed. I have ensured that the maintenance team assess the air conditioning units and take remedial action. I have also reviewed the location of the staff break area and access times.

Ed.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Having stayed in many good quality hotels around the world and eaten in Michelin Star restaurants this hotel did not hit the spot for us.

For what you pay for accommodation, food and wine it does not meet the standards of other places we have stayed for similar costs.

We came away feeling a little bit robbed. It was not bad don't get me wrong, just not good value for money in our opinion. It also had a slightly pretentious feel to it but that could have simply been the mix of guests staying that particular weekend.

3 Thank Mount_of_Joy
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking time to post a review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that you don't think that your visit was up to par and did not represent value for the price paid. I would be grateful if you called me at the hotel so I may understand the specific areas where you felt let down.

Thanks,

Everleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed over the weekend and had a great time as always at an HDV. The staff were as usual helpful and welcoming. However at this price point it should be close to perfection. Great location but the decor seemed just a bit tired. I love the HDV bathrooms which are the size of many hotel bedrooms but in a dark tiled room one of the lights was out and although reported it wasn't fixed. I would still go back though. Oh and I loved the Albariño, very classy white wine.

Room Tip: Special deal on Friday with meal and half bottle of Champagne.
2 Thank Peter E
Dear Peter,

Thank you for your comments. I do hope that you will return to Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, I would be happy to introduce you to our award winning Sommelier who I know would assist you in choosing your favourite style of wine from our extensive list.

uk
Reviewed 16 August 2014

hotel du vin rarely lets us down. fabulous service from the friendly staff (including a free upgrade for the husband's birthday), stylish and clean rooms, gorgeous breakfast and a great location. Their late deals are good value for money and we use HDV for both work and leisure. I would definitely stay here at HDV Cheltenham again

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your five star review. It was great to read and thank you for your recommendation!

You clearly like the Hotel du Vin brand and your loyalty is appreciated. Have you tried the newly refurbished HdV St Andrews yet? Well worth a visit.....

Leeds UK
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on the special Sunday offer. The hotel is conveniently located and was perfect for our needs. The staff were friendly and welcoming and our room was typical for this chain. The only fault was that the glaze in the washbasin was cracked. We ate in the restaurant and the food was well cooked and presented. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LeedsUKDilys
GM-HDV-Cheltenham, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review. I am genuinely happy to read that you would recommend the hotel. Our Summer Sunday offer provides excellent value and is very popular as a result.

I hope that I can welcome you back soon for you to enjoy another memorable stay.

London
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I have mixed feelings about this hotel, understand the concept of trying to be boutique and luxurious and some parts of the hotel and design features did it well. Like the bar area, reception and Bistro. I found other elements quite cheap and missing the mark like the bathroom water pressure in the sink, quality if the toilet paper and the material shower curtain that stuck to you when trying to shower. Corridors to the rooms were very plain and needed updating and the room was quite small given the price paid. The duck feathers in the pillows and duvet were itchy as they were in need of updating in my opinion.
It was not great value for the price paid £175 per night, I wasn't looking for cheap but I think if you want to class yourself like this the guest expects quality.

Service at Reception on check out was very helpful. We wanted to take our daughter swimming and the hotel initially told us that we could use fitness first which is close by. When we went there they did not let people under 16 use the pool. When we told Reception this the lady was apologetic and made a few calls to find us an alternative by asking a favour of another hotel where she knew someone. I was impressed by this and she seemed like she really cared for her guests.

The night receptionist was also very friendly and nice.

Breakfast was fantastic loved the choice and the menu was quirky and there was a good twist on you average hotel breakfast offering.

Overall I am not sure that this hotel has an identity or knows what it wants to be. A bit confusing. If ur expecting a lot like I was then I'm not sure whether this is the place for you.

Stayed August 2014
Dear London_kip,

I appreciate the time spent in reviewing your recent visit to Hotel du Vin Cheltenham. I understand that the internal decor might not be to everyones taste, the brand design is to be subtle and tasteful with a degree of modern elegance. The public areas and corridors are regularly repainted by the hotel maintenance team to keep them in good order.

The duck feather duvets and pillows are another feature of quality across all Hotel du Vin properties and provide an added extra not usually associated with modern british hotels. That said we can and do provide non feathered duvets and pillows on request.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our quality breakfast offering and received excellent service from the reception team, I will pass on your feedback to the respective departments.

Many thanks,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband took me here on a Tues eve for my birthday and we were very dissappointed. We have been a few times before and never been overwhelmed but we decided to give the early eve menu a go, on arrival we were not even presented with this as a choice and had to ask for it, but have to say the menu was very uninspiring so we ended up choosing from the main menu. The food was average and we chose a nice bottle of rose that we hadn't had before but we did not have starters or desserts/coffees and our meal came to over 100GBP! We wouldn't have minded paying that for a special occasion where we were greated by a warm ambiance and great service, but alas our evening was very average and not very special at all. We will not be going back in a hurry.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Brookesy33
Dear Brookesy33,

I was very disappointed to read your less than favourable review and I am sorry your birthday occasion was not memorable for the right reasons. I have discussed your feedback with the Bistro team as it is so important to review and action any required improvements.

I would be delighted if you could spare some more valuable time to call me directly at the hotel so I may get a better understanding of your experience and what menu items you chose that totalled over £100 as I am sure there must be a mistake that needs rectifying.